Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 01-31-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
misterken
misterken began at the beginning.

Device: EZReader Pocket Pro
Upgrading Firmware

It looks like I have an August version of the firmware.

When upgrading, do I simply upgrade using the the latest firmware file? Or do I have to all each and every firmware to get updated?
misterken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterken View Post
It looks like I have an August version of the firmware.

When upgrading, do I simply upgrade using the the latest firmware file? Or do I have to all each and every firmware to get updated?
Just the version you want. It is a complete replacement (even if some of the pieces are the same.)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2010, 05:40 PM   #3
LJ Miehe
Empirical Philosopher
LJ Miehe doesn't litterLJ Miehe doesn't litterLJ Miehe doesn't litter

Device: Astak EZ Reader (6")
Has anyone gotten their reader to not update and freeze on the "Checking Update Data Please Wait". It says I am using version 1.0.5 2008-03-21. I am using the Dec firmware update on a 2GB San Disk SD card formatted as FAT32. Tried FAT as well and it gave me the same problem. Please advise
LJ Miehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ Miehe View Post
Has anyone gotten their reader to not update and freeze on the "Checking Update Data Please Wait". It says I am using version 1.0.5 2008-03-21. I am using the Dec firmware update on a 2GB San Disk SD card formatted as FAT32. Tried FAT as well and it gave me the same problem. Please advise
Use a one gig or less card formatted in FAT. That is really old firmware. Be sure the firmware (.bin) file is at the root and no other firmware is on the card.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:43 PM   #5
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Try reformatting your card first. Use Fat 16 and DO NOT check the quick format box. In other words make sure it does a full format. Also unzip/unrar the file so that it is a .bin file you put on the card. Also make sure your battery is fully charged. A 1gb card is much better but a 2gb card could work. It is almost always the card that is at fault.

Last edited by Stormchild; 02-01-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2010, 07:27 PM   #6
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Why is a 1 gig card better than a 2 gig? I'm just about ready to order mine (hopefully later this week! ) and I have both 1 gig and 2 gig cards. I figured I'd keep the 2 gig for me and give the 1 gig to my daughter for my old Palm I'll be giving her... but would the 1 gig be better? (I've got a little over 100 books ready to put on it, and they're around 100MB total, so I know I'll have plenty of room either way.)
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:59 PM   #7
erosco
Enthusiast
erosco began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Upgraded happily on 1g 2g and 16g cards!
erosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:01 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimee View Post
Why is a 1 gig card better than a 2 gig? I'm just about ready to order mine (hopefully later this week! ) and I have both 1 gig and 2 gig cards. I figured I'd keep the 2 gig for me and give the 1 gig to my daughter for my old Palm I'll be giving her... but would the 1 gig be better? (I've got a little over 100 books ready to put on it, and they're around 100MB total, so I know I'll have plenty of room either way.)
The SD standard was based on the MMC standard which only went to 1 Gig. Read about SD cards in our wiki. Some older firmware only support up to 1 gig in the boot phase without regard to what they support when the OS finally boots. I suspect the older firmware the user has from a couple of years ago is such firmware. This really has nothing to do with what you buy today but was intended to help someone with firmware that was from 2008.

Dale
Old 02-01-2010, 10:03 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by erosco View Post
Upgraded happily on 1g 2g and 16g cards!
Yes but you have a pocket pro. The person asking the question with firmware from early 2008 cannot have a pocket pro. They likely have a EZ Reader basic but they didn't say.

Dale
Old 02-01-2010, 10:42 PM   #10
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The SD standard was based on the MMC standard which only went to 1 Gig. Read about SD cards in our wiki. Some older firmware only support up to 1 gig in the boot phase without regard to what they support when the OS finally boots. I suspect the older firmware the user has from a couple of years ago is such firmware. This really has nothing to do with what you buy today but was intended to help someone with firmware that was from 2008.

Dale
Ok, thank you!
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:55 PM   #11
LJ Miehe
Empirical Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Use a one gig or less card formatted in FAT. That is really old firmware. Be sure the firmware (.bin) file is at the root and no other firmware is on the card.

Dale
I will try that out, if that fails, I am going to send it in and have them update it.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:16 PM   #12
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Before you send it in, please call!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ Miehe View Post
I will try that out, if that fails, I am going to send it in and have them update it.
Dear LJ Miehe:

We at Astak want to help! Can you please email to support@astak.com OR call tollfree: 1-866-368-8788!! In any case, you need an RMA (Returned Materials Authorization) number; so why not let us see if we can solve your dilemma?

They will need: model, date purchased, and other info. We will try to get you up to speed quickly. IF you call (recommended) ask for Elliott. If he cannot help you... ask for the Product Manager.

Doing updates is not hard, but if you have an older model it can use our help at first.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:18 PM   #13
LJ Miehe
Empirical Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear LJ Miehe:

We at Astak want to help! Can you please email to support@astak.com OR call tollfree: 1-866-368-8788!! In any case, you need an RMA (Returned Materials Authorization) number; so why not let us see if we can solve your dilemma?

They will need: model, date purchased, and other info. We will try to get you up to speed quickly. IF you call (recommended) ask for Elliott. If he cannot help you... ask for the Product Manager.

Doing updates is not hard, but if you have an older model it can use our help at first.
I am in touch with Elliott and he has provided top notch customer service so far. Just waiting on my RMA info and I will be sending it in for a firmware upgrade. Guess I have a really firmware version on mine. Thank you, I am really happy with this level of service with an awesome linux based ereader. Kudos
Old 02-05-2010, 04:11 PM   #14
ara
ara began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro EZ Reader
Help! Just received my new EZ Reader and it sounds like I should be upgrading the firmware although its new. Saw two files for the Pocket Pro, downloaded both, but when unzipping them they have the same name and try to overwrite each other. Presume I need the most recent? Then formatted my SD card, copied the bin file over, and tried to follow FAQ instructions on the astak website to install. But there is no silver volume button on my machine to press and hold down! Confused...
ara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:23 PM   #15
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
I'm assuming you have a PEz? You are correct that you want to use the most recent firmware. You may notice that it's from December, so there's no way it could be installed on your reader at the factory. There's a video on YouTube where Amy shows how to upgrade the firmware. I think the volume button is for the 6". On my PEz, I push the page forward button on the left side. Watch the video to see which button I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8USEOxj8P2M

One other note. Make sure that you've fully charged your reader before you start. We're told that running out of power in the middle of the upgrade is really bad.

Last edited by polly; 02-05-2010 at 04:26 PM.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote