Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-23-2010, 04:53 PM   #46
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
I so want one. This, more than any other device looks the right one for me. What sold me on the device is the fact that I've had very good experience with Asus netbooks before. Also the screen looks somehow blacker than current generation e-ink.

The question that remains is how well will it display an A4 PDF, and, as always, the price...
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:06 AM   #47
woodworthjohnca
woodworthjohnca began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 Global
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
I so want one. This, more than any other device looks the right one for me. What sold me on the device is the fact that I've had very good experience with Asus netbooks before. Also the screen looks somehow blacker than current generation e-ink.

The question that remains is how well will it display an A4 PDF, and, as always, the price...
Same here. I want a PDF reader and Asus products have always been a high value proposition.
woodworthjohnca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 08:30 AM   #48
Ajarn
Ajarn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by darius View Post
Clearly you've never used N. N has less range than G. It has faster speeds but tails off quickly the farther away from the access point you travel.
I have, and it coincides with that of a couple of articles on the net. How about this one, talking about a DRAFT N device:

"Our early experience with Apple’s AirPort Extreme (a first gen Draft N system) goes way beyond doubling the range."
-- http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials...le.php/3680781

Also this one: "The 802.11n standard promises to achieve as much as 5x the throughput and up to double the range over legacy"
-- http://www.wi-fi.org/files/kc/WFA_80...try_June07.pdf

And this one: 'Range is harder to quantify because it's affected by many variables, such as barriers that could block the signal. However, Intel reports that 802.11n equipment typically delivers more than twice the range of 802.11g equipment, at any given throughput speed. Those results were confirmed anecdotally in the recent Computerworld review.

"At the very end of an open field with no interference, where you could get 1Mbit/sec. with "g" equipment, you'll net 14Mbit/sec. to 16Mbit/sec. with "n" equipment," reports Ashish Gupta, an Intel product manager.'
-- http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...ess_networking

You may have been on a downgraded N network (because a\b\g devices were on it), or just had a crappy experience. But one of the features of 802.11n is at least double speed or double range.
Ajarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:21 AM   #49
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
new article
doesn't seem to contain anything new
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:53 AM   #50
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLiNK View Post
new article
doesn't seem to contain anything new
That's Good Ereader for you. There are only a handful of these devices in the world and they're all locked up in Asus's development facility. And yet these bozos claim to have gotten their hands on it. This doesn't really surprise me.

Their usual MO is to one, report on a story a week or more after everyone else, two, base their article on stories written by credible organization, and three not give any of their sources any credit. I can't tell you how many times they've taken my work without giving credit. At least one rises to the level of plagiarism. TBH, I've given up on them.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert