Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Kindle 2 Price Cut to $299

Think $359 was too much for a Kindle 2? What to spend less? You asked for it and you got it. The Amazon Kindle 2 is now on sale for its new reduced price of $299.

(@via Engadget)
http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/08/a...ut-now-at-299/

Discussion of this is ongoing in this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=515871
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	689
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	31865  

Last edited by pilotbob; 07-08-2009 at 02:52 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My feeling is that Amazon is feeling the pinch from all those 505's sold via Borders for $200. And I also think that Amazon is nervous about the next Reader(s) from Sony.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My feeling is that Amazon is feeling the pinch from all those 505's sold via Borders for $200. And I also think that Amazon is nervous about the next Reader(s) from Sony.
I doubt it. K1 was discounted 6 months after it was released as well. This may just be a trend.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:58 PM   #4
TheLongshot
Groupie
TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Part of me was waffling on this for a gift for my father. On one hand, I'd like to make it easier for my father to get the books he wants for it and the Kindle seems to be good for that, both with selection and ease to find books. On the other hand, It was hard to justify the $100 premium for it for that reason.

This price drop puts things into the same ballpark. I still don't know if it is something I will get him. (he wants a reader that scrolls text automatically without him turning pages)
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post

This price drop puts things into the same ballpark. I still don't know if it is something I will get him. (he wants a reader that scrolls text automatically without him turning pages)
The K2 in TTS (Text-To-Speech) mode will change pages automatically (turn not scroll). If he doesn't want to hear the TTS voice, he can turn the volume down. There is also some speed control via TTS speed and/or font size.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
Doesn't reading scrolling text make people dizzy? I never understood that requested feature.

BOb
Old 07-08-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Doesn't reading scrolling text make people dizzy? I never understood that requested feature.
I have a feeling that it's one of those things people think is a great idea until they've experienced it and the alternatives a bit.
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #8
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
It is interesting if customers who purchased Kindle for $359.95 can get $60 refund...
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:12 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
It is interesting if customers who purchased Kindle for $359.95 can get $60 refund...
Amazon's 30 day price protection applies to everything. Although I hear that they changed that policy some time last year.

I know I ordered my Kindle for $399 about a week before they reduced it to $359 and they gave me the $40 refund.

BOb
Old 07-08-2009, 03:20 PM   #10
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Amazon's 30 day price protection applies to everything. Although I hear that they changed that policy some time last year.

I know I ordered my Kindle for $399 about a week before they reduced it to $359 and they gave me the $40 refund.

BOb
I'm not sure how many people purchased Kindle for last 30 days but they must be prepared to get this request from many of them
Old 07-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #11
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:

BOb
I got used to it on my Clié, although I never managed to sort out the auto-scroll options, and I read a lot of web content that requires scrolling. I go back & forth about whether I'd prefer that to the page turning on the Sony; for some documents, it takes as long as 4 or 5 seconds to turn pages. (I think those are badly-made PDFs; it's not all docs that do that.)

On a small screen, scrolling is more pleasant for me than page turning, and the option of putting your content of choice at the top of the screen is nice--the ability to have a crucial, complex paragraph not broken by page breaks is useful.

But it's a very minor benefit, and I do think that most people who claim to want it have never actively worked with it. I'd like it to be available, but can't think of anything I'd be willing to give up for it.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:35 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
I'm not sure how many people purchased Kindle for last 30 days but they must be prepared to get this request from many of them
Yep... they discontinued it in September:

http://www.retailerdaily.com/entry/6...ce-protection/

That said, you still have the 30 day return policy for a Kindle. So, just tell them if they don't give you the lesser price that you will just return it and order another one at the $299 price. You'll have to pay for return shipping but it is worth it for $60.

BOb
Old 07-08-2009, 04:05 PM   #13
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Yep... they discontinued it in September:

http://www.retailerdaily.com/entry/6...ce-protection/

That said, you still have the 30 day return policy for a Kindle. So, just tell them if they don't give you the lesser price that you will just return it and order another one at the $299 price. You'll have to pay for return shipping but it is worth it for $60.

BOb
I see that CNET write:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...html?tag=mncol

Chopping the price to a more palatable $300 will certainly attract some fence-sitters who've been contemplating a purchase, but it's also bound to upset a few folks who bought the device fairly recently. The good news is that if you bought a Kindle 2 in the last month you should get $60 back. According to an Amazon PR rep, "If the product was shipped within 30 days of purchase, customers are eligible to receive the price difference as a credit."
Anybody ready to buy at $299 or is the Kindle 2 still overpriced?
Old 07-08-2009, 04:12 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For now, if you can wait, I'd wait to see what Sony does. If the rumors are true, you only have to wait 2 months or so.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:16 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For now, if you can wait, I'd wait to see what Sony does. If the rumors are true, you only have to wait 2 months or so.
Summer ends Sept 21st(ish depending on the actual day of the Autumnal Equinox), so at the least 3 months... assuming the release it on time.

BOb