Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-15-2009, 01:01 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
How do you handle backing up books on your computer?

In the past, I would download a copy of every ebook onto my computer just in case. This was pretty simple when all my devices read eReader format. But now I have a Sony too and it reads a different format. Many of my bought ebooks are multiformat Fictionwise and hence are available in a choice of formats. I am wondering if it's necessary now to re-download onto my computer all of those? Calibre seems to be keeping copies of the ones on my reader now, but there are some I have read already that I did not put onto the reader. Are they safe just being in Fictionwise for future downloading if needed, or should I create a new folder on my computer and download them again in this new format?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:07 PM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Just create folders on your computer to put book files into as necessary ... one for eReader, one for Sony etc ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2009, 01:12 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I have lots of backups, probably more than needed. I have my library on my computer, then a duplicate copy of it on my flash drive, my timecapsule and on a USB hard drive.

While I know you can generally re-download from the vendor I don't trust this 100% after folks have lost books with vendors dumping ebooks or going out of business.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
Pruitt
Pruitt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
So far I've found that Calibre does a nice job of keeping your ebook collections in good order. While I have also backed up to a separate drive, just for redundancy, Calibre can pretty much handle all my backup needs if I let it. I'm so glad I found the program here at MobileRead. It's become valuable to me in a very short time. I definitely recommend it.
Pruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:43 PM   #5
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I have lots of backups, probably more than needed. I have my library on my computer, then a duplicate copy of it on my flash drive, my timecapsule and on a USB hard drive.

While I know you can generally re-download from the vendor I don't trust this 100% after folks have lost books with vendors dumping ebooks or going out of business.
I also keep a backup on a flash drive, and on a micro SD card.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
cerement
Groupie
cerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it is

Device: Amazon Kindle 1, Sony PRS-300, Amazon Kindle 3
Downloaded and "to be read" are on the hard drive (usually try to grab multiple formats "just in case"). I also keep a full backup of my Kindle on my hard drive. And hard drive backed up to external drive via Time Machine.
cerement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 02:42 PM   #7
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I don't trust those ebook vendors either. Wasn't Microsoft also an e-Vendor of music that eventually closed? Perpetuity doesn't exist.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 02:52 PM   #8
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I'm using Calibre to organize and backup all of my ebooks and any material I load onto my device. I keep a backup of the Calibre library folder on my file server.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:14 PM   #9
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I set up a system before I downloaded Calibre.

I create a folder for each *source*. Thus I have a folder for MobileRead, one for Amazon, one for Feedbooks, one for Fictionwise, etc. etc. I make no attempt to keep the Sony books separate from the Mobipocket ones or even the .lit and .ePub ones -- the file type takes care of that for me.

Since the file name often doesn't contain enough information, I set up a spreadsheet which contains the filename, title, author, source, genre, and miscellaneous information.

I am a list keeper, so I have lists galore: books I read in 2008, books I read in 2009, books I want to read, series books I have read and need to read, etc. From my lists, I can generate statistics: percent of all books read that are mysteries, ratio of electronic books to paper books, etc.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:47 PM   #10
joobies
Addict
joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 1, Sony PRS-505
I was backing up everything into a computer file, until I realized the stuff from Amazon could not be loaded onto another Kindle on my same account. Sure the files loaded but could not be opened on the 2nd Kindle. Happy ending to the story.... learned about the SYNC feature on the Kindle and was able to download with that.... then, did a copy from my free materials and kept clicking no for overwriting on the Amazon files. Now, my daughter has her Kindle and I got to play with the granddaughter for a bit.
joobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:15 PM   #11
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Backed up on thumb drive, external drive, and Dropbox online storage.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:57 PM   #12
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
New to it, but just backed up the few books I have so far using Calibre, seemed to work ok but probably would have been quicker to just copy the documents folder and paste it on the hard drive manually.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:06 PM   #13
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I back everything up onto a thumb drive, just in case. It takes so little effort that I figure, why not?
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:20 PM   #14
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Back-up drive, which holds itunes music, itunes videos, and kindle content. Probably half were not originally in kindle format, but I save them all in mobi.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:17 PM   #15
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I have a full backup on my external hard drive, plus on DVD backup.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote