Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-31-2007, 02:54 AM   #1
kycrout
kycrout began at the beginning.

Device: COOL-ER
KOVID THANK YOU!!!

As a recent owner of the PRS-505, I did not understand the full benefit of your application until I started experimenting.

To be frank, my reading experience would not even be close to what it is, if it where not for your efforts ..

For this, I thank you !

I am a stickler for perfection. One area I seem to muck up is creating a LRF from txt and jpg. Obviously your interpreter does not know chapter heading in order to make line breaks etc .. whereas in html it works really well ..

Two questions if I may
1) I have noticed really nice conversion tools (behind the scenes exe's the GUI uses) but do not seem to find a txt2html.exe. This would be perfect to create a standard converted html doc, which I could then tag with chapter headings (Tried this with word and it stuffed the document up with unnessary tags and rubbish!) and then convert to lrf .. Am I missing it ?

2) Is there actually a way to edit an LRF? Obviously Q1 assumes not, but I just though I ask

I love your work !!

Thanks again !

kycrout
kycrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:09 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Glad you find it useful. The command markdown-libprs500 will convert txt to html. No there is no easy way to edit LRF files I'm afraid.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2007, 11:53 AM   #3
kycrout

Thanks

Thank you Sir - I shall use that command and then edit the html to put the appropriate tags in !!

Happy New Year to you ...
Old 12-31-2007, 01:07 PM   #4
kycrout

Kovid ..

Sorry to bug again .. could you give me an example command please

i tried markdown-libprs500 d:\c.txt -f d:\c.html but it gave me errors

thanks ..
Old 12-31-2007, 02:30 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm works for me on linux. What errors does it give you?
Advert
Old 01-01-2008, 08:41 AM   #6
kycrout

Kovid

Don't worry about it .. It complained about utf-8 code. If you would like the exact error again Im happy to run it ..

i did however find I could place h tags directly into txt files and your conversion worked perfectly !!! so problem solved ...

many thanks

Old 01-13-2008, 05:07 AM   #7
shousa
Groupie
shousa doesn't littershousa doesn't littershousa doesn't litter

A massive thanks from me as well for kovid.

Have just converted .lit to .lrf.
shousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:05 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Thanks
Old 01-15-2008, 08:34 PM   #9
jennaclaire
Enthusiast
jennaclaire began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Kovid, I just installed your tool today and am playing with it now and man, you are genius. This is the tool that Sony wishes it created. Its elegant to look at and it does it all and I am sure I haven't even scratched the surface.

I am sitting here loading my books now. I noticed you have a ticket for an upcoming release to support adding a folder to import data. Can I suggest taking it one step further to folders and their subfolders? I found my list of ebooks confusing so I sorted them into subfolders within my overall folder. I did this because the Sony software sucks so badly, but I also feel like it winds up looking more orderly. If you can load by folder, could you consider adding in the contents of subfolders too?

I also noticed, because i am a moron sometimes, that you can add the same book to the library multiple times. Adding in the check to see if it is already there might be problematic in implementaton, but I wanted to put that out there as well.

Look for my donation to your awesome software once the bill from the holidays is settled. I've never been so excited to settle a bill before.

you rock.
jennaclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:49 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Glad you like it. Always a pleasure to hear from satisfied users

The import filter is going to be a recursive import. As for not adding the same book twice, good idea, open a ticket for it so I don't forget.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:07 PM   #11
jennaclaire
Enthusiast

I added it. #471.
Another interesting thing I just saw... I keep most of my stuff over on a secondary partition. If I like it, its over there so if my OS gets wonky (its a windows PC), I don't lose the other drive. My c drive is always notoriously full and i just can't be bothered to partitionmagic my way around it. I put the db itself onto my F (data) drive, but the news feeds seem to want to go over onto my c drive anyway which throws an error. does it store it on the root drive by default? (this may be my reason to partitionmagic the bad boy afterall... once i saw i can read the economist over here!)
Old 01-15-2008, 09:23 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The news feeds use a temporary directory that ends up on the C:\ drive. You can control it by setting one of the following environment variables

TMPDIR, TEMP or TMP
Old 01-16-2008, 09:38 AM   #13
jennaclaire
Enthusiast

when i do this it tells me that it is unable to find a connected ebook reader. Should it matter if it is hooked up to change the tempdir folder?
Old 01-16-2008, 12:02 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Not as far as I know.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:07 PM   #15
jennaclaire
Enthusiast

Maybe I am doing something wrong then. From cmd window, i am switching to the libprs500 directory and typing "prs500.exe tmpir F:\My Documents\libprs500"

error about having the reader connected.

thoughts?