Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-04-2012, 05:18 AM   #1
Manaro
Manaro began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ereader with replaceable battery

im searching for an Ereader with replaceable battery,but untill now i didnt find any one ? i think it will be not usefull after 2-3 Years ,when the battery died !!

do you have any idea???
Manaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:47 AM   #2
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Some "white box" ones have this feature also I think EB600 has replaceable at least it does have a cover. At the least one I destroyed used Nokia's I think. Still, it might be just better to upgrade after battery dies.
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2012, 05:57 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manaro View Post
im searching for an Ereader with replaceable battery,but untill now i didnt find any one ? i think it will be not usefull after 2-3 Years ,when the battery died !!

do you have any idea???
Not buying a device because it might die (due to a dead battery) after 2 or 3 years would be silly. After 2 or 3 years your device will be so out-dated you will be demanding a replacement!

Also, most battery can be replaced. Maybe not as easily as some, but remember, after 2 or 3 years your warranty will be void anyway and you can open the device without screwing with that warranty.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:20 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It can vary between what one would expect to be very similar devices. Eg, the Kindle Non-Touch (aka "K4") has a glued-in battery which can't be removed without destroying the device, while the Kindle Touch's battery is easily replaced.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:39 AM   #5
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It can vary between what one would expect to be very similar devices. Eg, the Kindle Non-Touch (aka "K4") has a glued-in battery which can't be removed without destroying the device, while the Kindle Touch's battery is easily replaced.
The original Hanlin 6" V3 has an easily replaceable semi-standard nokia battery. No touch screen and 1st gen e-ink, a bit thick and heavy, but I'm happy with it. Refurbs are available for $100.

http://shop.pocketbookreader.com/EZR...F.qscstrfrnt01

I bought another for back-up a couple of weeks ago. (It's the V3ext, not the V3+).
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #6
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PocketBook 360 has an external easy to reach battery case. Many other readers you can just open up (with a bit of care) and replace the battery thataway. Reader batteries should last long - there is little to no heat, no high power consumption, and the device remains usable even if the battery loses 50% of its capacity.

Notebook batteries are much more prone to dying (constant heat, and they suck the battery dry in under an hour). My netbook battery didn't last a year - I'm not getting a replacement either, it still works with PSU...

Don't worry too much about it, get a device you really like instead.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
DebbyS
Zealot
DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite; Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0)
Jetbook Lite uses four AA batteries, and the batteries can be the rechargable type.
DebbyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
The batteries on the Kindle Keyboard and Kindle Touch are easily replaceable. But honestly, so what? By the time I want or need to change the battery on my Kindle Keyboard, it will be well past time to replace the unit. And the cost of a new eReader will be low enough that it really won't make sense not to go with the newer model.

That being said, I'd probably avoid the Kindle Non-Touch with its glued battery if you're concerned. It is effectively non-replaceable.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:11 PM   #9
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
See other post.

Last edited by The Terminator; 06-22-2012 at 06:30 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
The original Hanlin 6" V3 has an easily replaceable semi-standard nokia battery. No touch screen and 1st gen e-ink, a bit thick and heavy, but I'm happy with it. Refurbs are available for $100.

http://shop.pocketbookreader.com/EZR...F.qscstrfrnt01

I bought another for back-up a couple of weeks ago. (It's the V3ext, not the V3+).
Actually, if it is Vizplex, it's 2nd generation. I think only Sony used the first generation eink.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #11
Wolftrail
Wolftrail began at the beginning.

Actually, vizplex is used when they mean the 1st generation. Although every e-ink techniq is vizplex. The 2nd generation is called Pearl e-ink.

And not only Sony used the 1st gen. and lots of manufacturers use Pearl the 2nd gen.
Wolftrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftrail View Post
Actually, vizplex is used when they mean the 1st generation. Although every e-ink techniq is vizplex. The 2nd generation is called Pearl e-ink.

And not only Sony used the 1st gen. and lots of manufacturers use Pearl the 2nd gen.
No, Viziplex (the screens were marketed under this name, I know it's a more generic term now) is 2nd gen and Pearl is 3rd gen. The Sony Libre & PRS-500 used a pre-Viziplex screen which would be 1st gen.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 06-07-2012 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Edited to clarify something
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:21 AM   #13
stev1rob
stev1rob began at the beginning.

Device: bookeen opus
You can change the battery in a bookeen opus, though you need to buy it from bookeens website.
stev1rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #14
The Chef
Enthusiast
The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Onyx Boox i86 Plus (formerly M92)
Rather than dying after 2-3 years, I think a bigger concern is when the battery is faulty before then; how good is the service of the manufacturer/distributer/reseller of replacing the battery under warranty.. and even do they offer that service (even for a fee) if it's not under warranty?

Removable batteries take away this concern and I'm all for them. Always tried to get them for my phone, but then my phone used up power very quickly. I don't think I really need a spare battery power-wise for an ebook reader
The Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef View Post
Rather than dying after 2-3 years, I think a bigger concern is when the battery is faulty before then; how good is the service of the manufacturer/distributer/reseller of replacing the battery under warranty.. and even do they offer that service (even for a fee) if it's not under warranty?

Removable batteries take away this concern and I'm all for them. Always tried to get them for my phone, but then my phone used up power very quickly. I don't think I really need a spare battery power-wise for an ebook reader
That's where the internet comes in handy... You can find instructions for about every device to replace a battery And batteries (generic ones) are also not too hard to find.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote