Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
milest
milest began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Do I need Kobo Desktop?

Have a Kobo Glo & (as long as it is reliable) it seems great. However, what is the point of Kobo Desktop which always seems to spend hours sync'ing (do I need this as I only use one device?), recommending books I don't want to buy/read & furthermore only shows books sourced via Kobo i.e. about 1/4 of my device library?

Yesterday I logged out of Kobo on my Glo, thinking it was unnecessary, and my Glo suddenly auto-reset thereby losing me the DRM ability to read my loaded books (had to use ADE to reinstate these which was tiresome) & it also lost my Kobo free books.

If I uninstalled Kobo Desktop and relied on my own book backups & Calibre (which has within a week produced a Kobo Touch driver - for which many thanks to them), what would I lose?

Thanks
milest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
Big Mack
Enthusiast
Big Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of light

Device: iPod Touch 4; iPhone 4; Kobo Touch; Kobo Glo
you don't need Kobo desktop if you use WiFi but you do need to be logged into the account on your device.
Big Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
milest
milest began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Thanks; I think I discovered that yesterday the hard way!
milest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
judyz
Enthusiast
judyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-950
Completely not needed unless you are purchasing your books as kepubs and reading them on multiple devices. Even firmware updates are now pushed to the device over wifi.

I keep my wifi off most of the time to save battery. I prefer to plug into my PC and sideload from my library using Calibre.
judyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Does that keep it from shoving books onto the Home page?

Or is there a way to delete the sales push from the Home page entirely?
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Don't click on the buttons that take you there and the things you don't like will never intrude on your reading experience. I really don't understand why having all these things a click away bother people so much.

I have found one excellent reason to have the store accessible from the device. I use it to reload books that are I have bought from Kobo that are not on my device. I am one of those read it and delete it kind of people.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:20 PM   #7
pentel
Connoisseur
pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mack View Post
you don't need Kobo desktop if you use WiFi but you do need to be logged into the account on your device.
I've been looking for instructions on how to setup Kobo and most instructions/video will show the Kobo desktop setup.

Is there any web page/YouTube video that show how to setup the Kobo for the first time using Wifi without installing Kobo Desktop or unnecessary software on the computer?

pentel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:46 PM   #8
pentel
Connoisseur
pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentel View Post

I've been looking for instructions on how to setup Kobo and most instructions/video will show the Kobo desktop setup.

Is there any web page/YouTube video that show how to setup the Kobo for the first time using Wifi without installing Kobo Desktop or unnecessary software on the computer?

I took the plunge and turns out to be a simple 3-steps for wireless install. Step 1: setup date time, Step 2: Connect to wifi and Step 3: Sign in.

I'm now at Step 2, just connected to wifi and now it is updating my ereader... in progress 30%.... hopefully all goes well after this update.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:14 PM   #9
pentel
Connoisseur

Steps to setup Kobo eReader without having to install Kobo Desktop or any other software

1. Plug in Kobo eReader to computer

2. Kobo display language selection screen. Select [your language]

3. Set Date, Time and Time zone

4. Connect to wifi. Upon connection, Kobo will prompt to update ereader. When download completes, Kobo will restart and updates the eReader.

5. Sign in to Kobo. You can sign in to an existing Kobo account or create an account from Kobo eReader. If you do not have a Kobo account, I would say goto Kobo.com on your computer, create an account from your computer and then enter that account id (email address) on Kobo ereader

6. Kobo will sync the device and the Kobo account you entered. If you have purchased books from Kobo.com, those books will be loaded to Kobo ereader.

7. Once sync, setup for Kobo is done! Kobo eReader is ready for reading now.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:25 AM   #10
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Steps to setup Kobo eReader without having to install Kobo Desktop or any other software

1. Plug in Kobo eReader to computer

2. Kobo display language selection screen. Select [your language]

3. Set Date, Time and Time zone

4. Connect to wifi. Upon connection, Kobo will prompt to update ereader. When download completes, Kobo will restart and updates the eReader.

5. Sign in to Kobo. You can sign in to an existing Kobo account or create an account from Kobo eReader. If you do not have a Kobo account, I would say goto Kobo.com on your computer, create an account from your computer and then enter that account id (email address) on Kobo ereader

6. Kobo will sync the device and the Kobo account you entered. If you have purchased books from Kobo.com, those books will be loaded to Kobo ereader.

7. Once sync, setup for Kobo is done! Kobo eReader is ready for reading now.
Good description, but step 1 is only required if you want to charge your device via USB before setting up.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:02 PM   #11
pentel
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Good description, but step 1 is only required if you want to charge your device via USB before setting up.
That's correct. Purpose of step 1 is only for charging the device to ensure there is enough battery power during the setup.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:05 PM   #12
pentel
Connoisseur

Another point I want to make is by doing this wireless setup without the Kobo Desktop is I don't see any free books in my kobo device.

I've been reading about people wanting to delete the free books and all Kobo can do is to hide the free books.

I'm still new to Kobo, at this time, based on the few hours of exploring the Kobo device, I don't see any free books at all installed in the device.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:51 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Another point I want to make is by doing this wireless setup without the Kobo Desktop is I don't see any free books in my kobo device.

I've been reading about people wanting to delete the free books and all Kobo can do is to hide the free books.

I'm still new to Kobo, at this time, based on the few hours of exploring the Kobo device, I don't see any free books at all installed in the device.
The 100 free books were on the original Kobo and the Kobo WiFi (the ones with the D-button). As far as I know, none of the touch models came with preloaded free books. OTOH, I still miss the quotes while loading books.

Hmmm... old threads never die...

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:58 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I agree on the quotes, but I sense we're in the minority!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:07 PM   #15
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
They would need much shorter quotes now that books load so much faster
taming is offline   Reply With Quote