Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #76
guybrushT
guybrushT began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Non Touch
Thanks for the help

this one completely worked

rm -fr "/mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600?800"

got an up-datable Kindle now with custom screen saver hack and any extra folders removed.
guybrushT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #77
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post

I definately prefer these "Which of these is correct?" questions much more than the "Just give me the exact commands that I need!" demands that seem all too common these days.
A person reading my posts in this thread can see that at work:

If asked an open-ended question, I usually say: "look it up";

When the poster shows that they have "looked it up" and are still uncertain, then I will help them out with the details.

A shared-effort solution is ok, the "do it for me" doesn't work until the poster's check clears the bank.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #78
Keez
Keez began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Factory default settings screwed

Ok so I made the dumb mistake of retiring to factory default settings so now no matter what I do I cannot update to 4.1 as I now have lost the original Kindle wallpapers anyone have a way for me to reinstall stock firmware that would contain them? or does anyone have the folder of original wallpapers that I could restore so I can get the update?
Keez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:51 AM   #79
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keez View Post
Ok so I made the dumb mistake of retiring to factory default settings so now no matter what I do I cannot update to 4.1 as I now have lost the original Kindle wallpapers anyone have a way for me to reinstall stock firmware that would contain them? or does anyone have the folder of original wallpapers that I could restore so I can get the update?
There must be more details to the story than what you mentioned above.

I read that you want to update your K4, but that you can not update now.

OK, but how does it fail?
As in: What do you do, what is the resulting messages or behavior?

What changes had you made before "retiring to factory default settings"?

How did you "retire to factory default settings"?

We have a "HowTo" here about asking a question that might help you provide the information needed:
http://www.gerv.net/hacking/how-to-ask-good-questions/
Old 07-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #80
Keez

I followed the screensaver hack in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xXr9...eature=related it worked great and I had the custom screensavers working fine. When I tried to update to 4.1 I got the U006 error at this point I made the mistake of using restore to factory default settings from the kindle itself this meant that now I had no screensavers at all just a blank screen when it was sleeping. I have been unable to find out if there is a way to get the kindle with screensavers back to the appropriate "pure" state so as to apply the 4.1 update. I tried using the runme file from earlier in this thread but I only used it after I had returned to factory default so alas it did not work. Any tips? Is there any other info you would need?
Advert
Old 07-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #81
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I followed the screensaver hack in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xXr9...eature=related it worked great and I had the custom screensavers working fine. When I tried to update to 4.1 I got the U006 error at this point I made the mistake of using restore to factory default settings from the kindle itself this meant that now I had no screensavers at all just a blank screen when it was sleeping. I have been unable to find out if there is a way to get the kindle with screensavers back to the appropriate "pure" state so as to apply the 4.1 update. I tried using the runme file from earlier in this thread but I only used it after I had returned to factory default so alas it did not work. Any tips? Is there any other info you would need?
The blank, white screen means the system could not find any screensaver to show.

But the original ones ***should*** still be present under a name which the "reset to factory defaults" function does not know about.

For reference, see this post before trying the following:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...89&postcount=9

That post links to a different video, but one that leaves the same problem.

Once you follow the video up to the point of entering the commands,
Turn on the "capture file" feature in putty if it has one; then
enter these instead:
mntroot rw
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/mmc-base
ls -l /mnt/base-mmc/amazon/screen_saver/*

Then post here the listing shown by the third command.
If you us a "capture file" then just save it and use an editor on it;
otherwise just cut&paste out of the putty screen the result.

This request is because we can't look over your shoulder, but once we can see what the current state is, we can fix it.

Last edited by knc1; 07-04-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #82
Keez

when using the
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/mmc-base

I get this error back

mount point /mnt/mmc-base does not exist

Therefore the next phase doesn't work of course since it can't mount the proper directory to then list the contents
Old 07-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #83
knc1
Going Viral

mntroot rw
mkdir /mnt/mmc-base

Then try the mount again.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #84
Keez

[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# ls -l /mnt/base-mmc/amazon/screen_saver/*
ls: /mnt/base-mmc/amazon/screen_saver/*: No such file or directory
Old 07-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #85
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
please enter the command:
mount
and post the output.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #86
Keez

[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# mntroot rw
system: I mntroot:def:Making root filesystem writeable
[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# mkdir /mnt/mmc-base
[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/mmc-base
Old 07-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #87
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# mntroot rw
system: I mntroot:def:Making root filesystem writeable
[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# mkdir /mnt/mmc-base
[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/mmc-base
Please enter the single word command:
mount
and post the output.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #88
Keez

[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type ext3 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,data=writeback)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,relatime,mode=755)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,relatime)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,gid=5,mode=620)
tmpfs on /var type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=0k)
/dev/mmcblk0p3 on /var/local type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=continue,data=writeback)
fsp on /mnt/us type fuse.fsp (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,user_id=0,group_id=0)
/dev/loop/0 on /mnt/base-us type vfat (rw,noexec,noatime,nodiratime,fmask=0022,dmask=002 2,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /mnt/mmc-base type ext3 (rw,relatime,data=writeback)
Old 07-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #89
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/mmcblk0p3 on /var/local type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=continue,data=writeback)
fsp on /mnt/us type fuse.fsp (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,user_id=0,group_id=0)
/dev/loop/0 on /mnt/base-us type vfat (rw,noexec,noatime,nodiratime,fmask=0022,dmask=002 2,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /mnt/mmc-base type ext3 (rw,relatime,data=writeback)
OK, that looks like "diags" mode;
The mounting of the "main" mode file system has worked;

Using the "ls -l /mnt/mmc-base/" command;
Look for the presence of the next directory in the expected path;
If found, "step down" one more directory level by appending the found directory to the above command, and repeat the command.

What you will be doing is "walking" down the entire pathname, looking for the first missing directory in the path:
/mnt/base-mmc/amazon/screen_saver/600x800

Translation:
We know that /mnt/base-mmc is present, that it has storage mounted on it (mmcblk0p1), that the file system is read/write.

Now check:
/mnt/base-mmc/amazon
/mnt/base-mmc/amazon/screen_saver
/mnt/base-mmc/amazon/screen_saver/600x800

The "ls -l ..." command will also be reporting the ownership and permissions.
Both the first missing directory in the path **and** the permissions of the ones which are present in the path are important to trouble shooting this problem.

I have been working nearly 20 hours straight today - I may have to crash for awhile, RSN.
But someone else can pick up this thread, the above should tell them the types of problems I am looking for.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #90
Keez

Maybe I did something wrong here but this is what I got

[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# ls -l /mnt/mmc-base/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 Sep 3 2011 bin
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 Sep 3 2011 dev
drwxr-xr-x 30 root root 2048 Jun 1 2011 etc
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 2048 Sep 3 2011 lib
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Sep 3 2011 linuxrc -> /sbin/init