Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: What Colour do you prefer?
Silver 53 34.42%
Dark Blue 101 65.58%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2007, 08:04 PM   #1
smokey
Banned
smokey began at the beginning.

Prs-505 Silver or Dark-Blue?

Hello everybody!. I'm new here but I've been reading you for a long time. I've been waiting for an atractive reader device, and the last version of Sony, has caught my eyes. But I have a doubt. What colour do you prefer and why?

Thanks!!
smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:12 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I prefer the dark blue because of the contrast between the screen and the case. That and the fact I like the dark blue color better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2007, 08:21 PM   #3
boca
Connoisseur
boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
Hello everybody!. I'm new here but I've been reading you for a long time. I've been waiting for an atractive reader device, and the last version of Sony, has caught my eyes. But I have a doubt. What colour do you prefer and why?

Thanks!!
Dark Blue... but that is more about fooling my wife. If she saw the silver one then she would have immediatley known that I had bought a new reader 4 months after buying the 500!
boca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:47 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I told my wife I'm getting a 505. So I really have nothing to hide.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:49 PM   #5
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Silver. At first I was concerned about contrast but in use I noticed no effective difference so I opted for the silver. The silver looks more futuristic to my eye and fits in with my new Apple Mac Book Pro (just left the PC side after 20 years). I am still impressed by what a difference even a small change in contrast has done for readability.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2007, 09:22 PM   #6
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
Quote:
Originally Posted by boca View Post
Dark Blue... but that is more about fooling my wife. If she saw the silver one then she would have immediatley known that I had bought a new reader 4 months after buying the 500!
That's what I was shooting for but Borders only had the silver. I told her I got a new case and she picked it up and immediately cursed me for getting a new reader. After 2 days, she calmed down. Not because I bought a new one but because I tried to deceive her AGAIN
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:25 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketime View Post
That's what I was shooting for but Borders only had the silver. I told her I got a new case and she picked it up and immediately cursed me for getting a new reader. After 2 days, she calmed down. Not because I bought a new one but because I tried to deceive her AGAIN
You owe your wife something HUGE to make up for your trying to deceive her. I don't know what, but it has to be something HUGE and something very special to her. You are so lucky you are not sleeping in the bathtub. You owe your wife more then you could ever imagine.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:37 PM   #8
darkstar
Enthusiast
darkstar began at the beginning.

Device: sony 500 505, kindleDX,KA1
I got the silver one, glad I did. Very sleek. I like the color of the tan case also. I wish sony had a real tan leather case for it ( for $39) rather then the pink or black leather.
darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 11:22 PM   #9
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I didn't intend to pick up a silver one, the store was out of blue. I was disappointed for all of 5 seconds when the clerk told me they were out of blue.

I didn't even notice, what was the exterior faux leather color of the blue device? All of the photos on the Sony website ignore the outer color (presumably so they can change it at will). The only unboxing I've seen was the Engadget one with the silver device.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 11:13 AM   #10
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You owe your wife something HUGE to make up for your trying to deceive her. I don't know what, but it has to be something HUGE and something very special to her. You are so lucky you are not sleeping in the bathtub. You owe your wife more then you could ever imagine.

You are so right Jon. After reading your post I thought long and hard about what I could do to make it up to her. I myself have a great distain for deceit and thus I spent considerable time comtemplating an appropiate gift. So, I did the best thing I could and made love to her. All's good now
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 11:18 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketime View Post
You are so right Jon. After reading your post I thought long and hard about what I could do to make it up to her. I myself have a great disdain for deceit and thus I spent considerable time contemplating an appropriate gift. So, I did the best thing I could and made love to her. All's good now
I could say that's only a little thing, but I won't.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:31 PM   #12
bjd
bjd began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505/SC
Color - silver!

I just got the silver 505 at my local Sony Style store. Like one of the other posters, I like the futuristic looks of that color. Never had the 500, but looked at it several times in the same Sony store, same lighting conditions. I could tell right away that the 505 had much better contrast, so I went for it. The only disappointment was the cover - I wasn't expecting it to be brown on the outside. To me, the brown is too light. Reminds me of bad vinyl couches from the 70's! I ordered the black leather cover from the website right away - I'm sure that'll fix my aesthetic issue.
bjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:12 AM   #13
linguist
linguist began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
I spent some time in the Sony place in NYC looking at both; I went with the dark blue because it makes the paper look whiter, as JS Wolf suggests above. When you are reading, the last thing you want is a shiny silver frame around a white page. In fact, I'm looking around for some dark blue nail polish to touch the thing up so I don't get distracted by the flash of the Sony logo.
linguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:21 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by linguist View Post
I spent some time in the Sony place in NYC looking at both; I went with the dark blue because it makes the paper look whiter, as JS Wolf suggests above. When you are reading, the last thing you want is a shiny silver frame around a white page. In fact, I'm looking around for some dark blue nail polish to touch the thing up so I don't get distracted by the flash of the Sony logo.
I'm not sure that is a good idea to color in the logo just yet. Sony could turn around and say you've voided the warranty. I'd wait until after the warranty is up to color in the logo.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:33 AM   #15
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
There's some law that states that modifications that do not affect the function of a device, or if something breaks and is unrelated to the modifications you made, then warranty service cannot be denied. It was originally for those who tinkered with their cars. I think it's called the Sherman Act.

I wouldn't until the warranty period is over to make superficial cosmetic changes like this.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote