Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
mmxx
mmxx has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650
Question Kobo books (not ePUB or PDF)

It seems to me some books listed on Kobobooks.com don't have ePUB or PDF (DRM) download options available to them (an example is http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Deal-...TDQ/page1.html).

Does that mean if I buy a book like the one above it can only be read on a Kobo reader or a Kobo app (ie, not on my Sony 650)? Is it some Kobo proprietary format I'm getting there?

Thank you

Last edited by mmxx; 02-17-2011 at 01:14 PM.
mmxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
It shows that you can read it on an ereader so why wouldn't you be able to read it on the Sony? Or am I missing something?
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
Fayth
Zealot
Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS 350
Normally Kobo indicates what format the book is in. I'm inclined to believe its just an oversight and that the book is a typical ADE Epub, but I can't be sure. Contact their support.
Fayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
mmxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
It shows that you can read it on an ereader so why wouldn't you be able to read it on the Sony? Or am I missing something?
I think all the Kobo books can be read on a Kobo eReader, but I'm not sure if a Kobo book which is not marked as having ePUB or PDF as its "download options" can be read on a Sony reader. Sony readers can read ePUB and PDF, but I am wondering whether a "Kobo book" (like the one I listed) can be read on a Sony reader. From what I understand, not all the books on Kobobooks.com have a ePUB or PDF option. Only some do.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
mmxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayth View Post
Normally Kobo indicates what format the book is in. I'm inclined to believe its just an oversight and that the book is a typical ADE Epub, but I can't be sure. Contact their support.
Thank you. I did, and am still waiting for their response.

So does Kobo only sell 2 formats: ePUB and PDF (DRM)? or do they sell 3 formats: ePUB, PDF, and a Kobo-reader only format?

is there such a thing as a Kobo proprietary format in their store (only Kobo reader/app can read)?
Old 02-17-2011, 04:03 PM   #6
Fayth
Zealot
Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.

I don't think so. I've only been purchasing from them for about 2 months, so I can't be sure, but as far as I know, they sell ADE Epubs and PDFs.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:30 PM   #7
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505 & PRS600, iPad, Pandigital Novel, iPad 2
I have bought Harlequin books in the past from Kobo that I cannot read on my sony reader. You can read these type of books online in your kobo library, or if you have the kobo app, the book will download there.

On my hacked PDN I have the kobo andriod app, and have recently been able to link to kobo and download all my kobo purchased ebooks - non epub/pdf, epub & pdf books.

Last edited by bookratt; 02-17-2011 at 04:32 PM.
bookratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:53 PM   #8
mmxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayth View Post
I don't think so. I've only been purchasing from them for about 2 months, so I can't be sure, but as far as I know, they sell ADE Epubs and PDFs.
The reason I think some of their books are neither ePUB nor PDF is because what I saw here:

click on the "i" icon next to the "download option: Adobe DRM ePUB" in this page:
http://kobobooks.com/ebook/Unbroken-...Gjg/page1.html

the popup reads the following:

"If you use one of Kobo's free reading apps you won't need to worry about download options most of the time. Your Kobo reading app can easily add Kobo Store books to your library for a seamless reading experience.

Download options matter when:

* You want to read your book on an eReader other than the Kobo eReader (see here for a list of supported eReaders).
* The book you want is only available as an Adobe DRM PDF."

That's why I think only those Kobo books with a "download option" that explicitly says ePUB or PDF can be read on Sony, those without any "download option" (like the one in my original post) are probably Kobo-reader only.

I'm not 100% sure either, and can't really find anything helpful on their online support knowledge base.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #9
Fayth
Zealot

You'll prolly get the best results by calling them. Their online tickets are ridiculously slow in my opinion.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:21 PM   #10
mmxx

Thanks. I just got back from them. The book is only available for Kobo.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #11
Fayth
Zealot

Good to know. I'll remember to double check for download options in the future. Thanks for clearing that up.

Tags
book format, kobo