Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > Android Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-10-2010, 06:57 PM   #1
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Wanted: research tool on Android

I need some software to help with the kind of research I perform in graduate school, including my upcoming dissertation, as well as for research I will continue to conduct after I graduate. I've tried and failed to get this functionality on other platforms before (e.g. the iRex iLiad), but hope springs eternal, right? I'm hoping the Android environment will be more conducive to this kind of development than other platforms have been.

Here's a typical example of what happens in my graduate classes now, and how I work with paper:

- Instructor assigns journal articles and/or books for reading
- I read the documents/books and make notes. I write in the margins of printed PDFs or photocopies, and mark the edges with sticky tabs for key points. I don't write in books, but I do use stickies and write notes on them. (I would scribble on PDFs in a reader. I just can't bring myself to do it with a printed book.)
- In class, I need to be able to discuss key points from the readings (usually several books/documents), flipping back and forth between them at will. I need to be able to find particular passages in readings quickly.
- I also need to be able to take class notes at the same time.
- Several times per semester, I need to be able to pull together references from readings that I've selected previously, with locations and my notes about the references, for constructing research papers.

That last one will be one of the most critical needs, and the hardest to meet. I think it will require a reading app that has the following features:

* Read PDF, txt, rtf, html, and (perhaps with conversion) doc
* Store metadata for each document sufficient for generating MLA and APA formatted references (i.e. author, title, year of publication, publisher, etc)
* For paginated documents, maintain awareness of original pagination. The easiest way to do this is probably to ensure half-page views of PDF, e.g. A5 size screen, with automatic page panning. Also allow entry of a start page offset number.
* While reading a document, the reader should be able to:
o highlight text for quotes, with topic free-tagging
o make notes (e.g. in margins), also with topic free-tags
* Export mode allows selection of specific topic tags, and within those tags, specific entries may be selected/unselected
* Export mode produces output list of all comments and quotes with MLA or APA formatted references
* Bonus: include a decent RTF (at least) text editor so drafts can be created or edited on the device. (No, I would not write my dissertation on a portable tablet or whatever, but I do tend to like to shuffle around quotes and structure outlines while in a café or whatever.)

I'd like to get together and collect a bounty to develop software like this. Anyone else interested?

More (old) threads discussing these ideas here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9231

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22261
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
- Instructor assigns journal articles and/or books for reading
- I read the documents/books and make notes. I write in the margins of printed PDFs or photocopies, and mark the edges with sticky tabs for key points. I don't write in books, but I do use stickies and write notes on them. (I would scribble on PDFs in a reader. I just can't bring myself to do it with a printed book.)
- In class, I need to be able to discuss key points from the readings (usually several books/documents), flipping back and forth between them at will. I need to be able to find particular passages in readings quickly.
- I also need to be able to take class notes at the same time.
- Several times per semester, I need to be able to pull together references from readings that I've selected previously, with locations and my notes about the references, for constructing research papers.

That last one will be one of the most critical needs, and the hardest to meet. I think it will require a reading app that has the following features:

* Read PDF, txt, rtf, html, and (perhaps with conversion) doc
* Store metadata for each document sufficient for generating MLA and APA formatted references (i.e. author, title, year of publication, publisher, etc)
* For paginated documents, maintain awareness of original pagination. The easiest way to do this is probably to ensure half-page views of PDF, e.g. A5 size screen, with automatic page panning. Also allow entry of a start page offset number.
* While reading a document, the reader should be able to:
o highlight text for quotes, with topic free-tagging
o make notes (e.g. in margins), also with topic free-tags
* Export mode allows selection of specific topic tags, and within those tags, specific entries may be selected/unselected
* Export mode produces output list of all comments and quotes with MLA or APA formatted references
* Bonus: include a decent RTF (at least) text editor so drafts can be created or edited on the device. (No, I would not write my dissertation on a portable tablet or whatever, but I do tend to like to shuffle around quotes and structure outlines while in a café or whatever.)

I'd like to get together and collect a bounty to develop software like this. Anyone else interested?

More (old) threads discussing these ideas here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9231

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22261
Aside from the quickly switching between files, the Edge can do most of this right now. Let me show you how the Edge handles notes:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...-handle-notes/

It comes with Docs2Go, which is a decent lite office suite. (The Edge works better with a physical keyboard, though.)

As for your request for metadata for MLA references, I'm not sure the Edge can do it yet. It's a great idea though.

I'm also not sure if it can copy text from a PDF to Docs2Go.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:27 PM   #3
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Aside from the quickly switching between files, the Edge can do most of this right now. Let me show you how the Edge handles notes:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...-handle-notes/

It comes with Docs2Go, which is a decent lite office suite. (The Edge works better with a physical keyboard, though.)

As for your request for metadata for MLA references, I'm not sure the Edge can do it yet. It's a great idea though.

I'm also not sure if it can copy text from a PDF to Docs2Go.
Scribble notes are ok for my purposes... but it would be better if they can be sent to Evernote and parsed there. But what I really need is the ability to tag highlights or notes and then pull up all the entries that match a particular tag, with the document and page they came from. Auto-generating the APA format reference citation would be gravy at that point.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pdf bookmarks, research, tags