Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-05-2009, 06:10 PM   #31
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Well, to sound a contrary note, I thoroughly enjoyed "DaVinci Code". Not great literature, certainly, but a cracking good thriller, and sometimes that's all that one is after.
I agree, and to be fair he did state that it was a book of fiction.

Maybe, because I read 'Holy Blood, Holy Grail' three times, it made 'The da Vinci Code' more interesting.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:02 PM   #32
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
Maybe, because I read 'Holy Blood, Holy Grail' three times, it made 'The da Vinci Code' more interesting.
Heh - The reason I read all of The Da Vinci Code, was beacuse I wanted to see how much more he'd pilfered from 'Holy Blood, Holy Grail' besides what he borrowed from Anne Rice's vampire novels. Some of the action scenes were nicely done, but his charactarisation - and the originality thereof - gives cardboard a bad name.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 01:02 AM   #33
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Heh - The reason I read all of The Da Vinci Code, was beacuse I wanted to see how much more he'd pilfered from 'Holy Blood, Holy Grail' besides what he borrowed from Anne Rice's vampire novels. Some of the action scenes were nicely done, but his charactarisation - and the originality thereof - gives cardboard a bad name.
Maybe his publishers wouldn't agree - nor his bank manager.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:01 AM   #34
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post
Maybe his publishers wouldn't agree - nor his bank manager.
I'm sure he laughs all the way to the bank
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:46 AM   #35
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Dan Brown

So Dan Brown reminds me of Clive Cussler in a lot of ways. Browns books are fun and adventersome. Cussler... well if you read him too often he would probably drive you nuts with his crazy plots and wondering how the heck his characters get in and out of these situations!

Dan Brown good in small doses. I also appricate that he got a lot of people who might not read very often to read a book.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 03:45 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Associating Brown with Ludlum is an insult to Ludlum. I'm sensitive there only because he's one of my favorite authors. Eric Lustbader did an excellent job carrying on in the Bourne series (Lustbader has a better grip on describing physical confrontations).
Both Mr. Ludlum and Mr. Brown are/were writers of extremely commercially successful thrillers. Given that neither was setting out to write "great literature", but simply "escapist entertainment", I certainly don't think that it is any "insult" to the late Mr. Ludlum to compare his books to those of Mr. Brown. They are undoubtedly in the same "genre".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:47 AM   #37
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleMan View Post
... I thought Digital Fortress was pretty good too ...
Quote:
I'm the type of reader that likes to basically go "Brain Dead" while reading,
Being "Brain Dead" is a strict requirement for reading this book if you know something about computers and/or cryptography and/or how government agencies work
Quote:
The only thing that drives me crazy is when they botch up anything to do with airplanes (note the pic) because I notice it.
If you know something ... anything ... about the abovementioned subjects each scene, each plot, each "technical" remark screams at you.
note the pic

His technical consultants and advisors (that got a mention in the credits) from NSA must have fainted from bouts of hysterical laughter when reading the manuscript and suggesting "improvements".

The book makes one wonder where was the editor when the manuscript was being made into a book. I do not mean editor that checks the grammar but the one that can catch things like "welding of ceramics", "fire that PRODUCES oxygen", ballant mathematical igonrance (not high matthematics, just plain old multiplication), ...

see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital...chnical_Errors
http://becomingparanoid.com/2006/03/...own-got-wrong/
http://kasmana.people.cofc.edu/MATHF...llnumber=mf340
http://victoria.tc.ca/int-grps/books...v/bkdgtlft.rvw
http://cipher-text.blogspot.com/2005...-fortress.html
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:56 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, the "computer" aspects of "Digital Fortress" did rather bring a smile to my face. Not exactly very "well researched", was it?
Old 03-07-2009, 02:39 AM   #39
KindleMan
Enthusiast
KindleMan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Yes, as a pilot I notice the errors, misrepresentations , misuse, non-understanding etc etc of many authors use of aviation, airplanes and such in books. The News media is as bad if not worst! Stuff like "A twin engine Cessna 150 crashed today" If you knew what a Cessna 150 is you'd bust a gut as they are the most basic of aircraft used for training new pilots back in the day and have only one engine.

I've long since come to the conclusion that much of what many writers put in their books when it comes to Technical stuff is suspect as far as accuracy. I imagine many doctors are appalled at what is written about medicine, Law Enforcement Offficers laugh about procedures used in "Who Done it" Novels and, no surprise that the computer aspect of Digital Fortress was "stretched".
As someone mentioned, don't the Editors realize the inaccuracies and correct them?

I know, I'll become a Consultant, I'll keep em on the Straight and Narrow!

Anyways, that's why I try not to think to much while I'm reading, I'm just trying to protect myself from all the frustration that would come if I actually knew anything!

Kindleman!
KindleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:43 AM   #40
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Yes, as a pilot I notice the errors, misrepresentations , misuse, non-understanding etc etc of many authors use of aviation, airplanes and such in books. The News media is as bad if not worst!
You might enjoy Patrick Smith's column on Salon.com, "Ask the Pilot." He writes frequently about the topic of newsmedia errors and lack of fact-checking or even basic understanding of aviation.

http://dir.salon.com/topics/p_smith/
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #41
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Yes, as a pilot I notice the errors,
I worked for a year as a mechanic for fighter jets during my stint in an army ...
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:28 AM   #42
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Yes, as a pilot I notice the errors, misrepresentations , misuse, non-understanding etc etc of many authors use of aviation, airplanes and such in books. The News media is as bad if not worst! Stuff like "A twin engine Cessna 150 crashed today" If you knew what a Cessna 150 is you'd bust a gut as they are the most basic of aircraft used for training new pilots back in the day and have only one engine.

I've long since come to the conclusion that much of what many writers put in their books when it comes to Technical stuff is suspect as far as accuracy. I imagine many doctors are appalled at what is written about medicine, Law Enforcement Offficers laugh about procedures used in "Who Done it" Novels and, no surprise that the computer aspect of Digital Fortress was "stretched".
As someone mentioned, don't the Editors realize the inaccuracies and correct them?

I know, I'll become a Consultant, I'll keep em on the Straight and Narrow!

Anyways, that's why I try not to think to much while I'm reading, I'm just trying to protect myself from all the frustration that would come if I actually knew anything!

Kindleman!
I guess it depends on the author. There are those who do their research, there are others that will make up as they go. And those who just google a little bit before writing the book.

When I was younger, it bogled me when I found out that one of my favourite authors spent 2-4 years in research, for each book. That explained a lot why it took forever a new release, but on the other hand, that explained their extreme quality.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:41 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
When I was younger, it bogled me when I found out that one of my favourite authors spent 2-4 years in research, for each book. That explained a lot why it took forever a new release, but on the other hand, that explained their extreme quality.
Ian Fleming was famous for meticulously researching his "James Bond" books.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:22 AM   #44
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Along those lines, I have sent Ludlum e-mails noting errors in weapons and cars he employed over the years. I didn't bother to e-mail Mr. Brown.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:31 AM   #45
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Along those lines, I have sent Ludlum e-mails noting errors in weapons and cars he employed over the years. I didn't bother to e-mail Mr. Brown.
You know Ludlum is dead, right?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote