Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #31
mcrow
Zealot
mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4/Kindle Fire HD/Kindle Fire HDX 7"
Besides finding the thought of someone having a treecat on their shoulder on the bridge of a military vessel seeming stupid, I also got a really cheesey picture of a pirate (exchange the Parot for the Treecat) out of it as well.

Just not take the book, which didn't seem like a spoof, seriously with that thought in mind.
mcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #32
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrow View Post
Besides finding the thought of someone having a treecat on their shoulder on the bridge of a military vessel seeming stupid, I also got a really cheesey picture of a pirate (exchange the Parot for the Treecat) out of it as well.

Just not take the book, which didn't seem like a spoof, seriously with that thought in mind.
Don't judge a tree cat by its cover.

They are highly intelligent, loyal, strong, sentient beings with their own laws, customs, history, etc. They are not the domesticated pets of our world. Unfortunately, one does not get the full extent of the tree cat through the novels alone; you would have to read the short stories as well.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #33
mcrow
Zealot
mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4/Kindle Fire HD/Kindle Fire HDX 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Don't judge a tree cat by its cover.

They are highly intelligent, loyal, strong, sentient beings with their own laws, customs, history, etc. They are not the domesticated pets of our world. Unfortunately, one does not get the full extent of the tree cat through the novels alone; you would have to read the short stories as well.
Meh...read the first book and enjoyed it, didn't care for the second book.

Don't really care enough about the series to read the short story collections.

It is good military sci-fi, but just not my cup of tea.
mcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:54 PM   #34
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
My friends are highly intelligent, loyal, strong, sentient beings with their own laws, customs, history, etc.
That doesn't mean they could sit on my shoulder while I was on watch in the Navy....

I kid, I kid. I did read the book, and I know the deal with the bonding and all.
By the way, it's worth mentioning that in the book, even with the concessions made in the regs for these alien creatures, other service members did give the treecat funny looks from time to time. The idea that others in that world found the situation as odd as I did helped me accept it a bit.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #35
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
My friends are highly intelligent, loyal, strong, sentient beings with their own laws, customs, history, etc.
That doesn't mean they could sit on my shoulder while I was on watch in the Navy....

I kid, I kid. I did read the book, and I know the deal with the bonding and all.
By the way, it's worth mentioning that in the book, even with the concessions made in the regs for these alien creatures, other service members did give the treecat funny looks from time to time. The idea that others in that world found the situation as odd as I did helped me accept it a bit.
True, true.
Advert
Old 12-24-2013, 09:19 PM   #36
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I love the Honor Harrington series of books. They are well worth reading.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:33 AM   #37
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
With the support of the cheerleaders, when I'm done tackling Brandon Sanderson's 2000 page fantasy manuscript due out in March I'll give this another go.

My mantra shall be treecats are -aliens-, you like aliens. They just look like kitty cats that are totally out of place riding around on people's shoulders on the bridge of a military vessel (that being one of the suspensions of belief I can't get past.) Poor misjudged sentient alien crewmember. Alien. Alien. Alien. Not a silly plot device, a sentient alien. Stop being so speciesest!

I have no problem with Kris Longknife's neck riding computer being on the bridge. I can handle Liaden norbear telepaths and pussy cats. I wouldn't question a squid in an envirosuit being one of the crew. I've handled shifters and furries. Surely, surely I can get past this. And if not, there are always more books waiting to be read.

Thanks all.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:54 AM   #38
Nyssa
Series Addict

I'm glad you're willing to give it another go. I hope you do end up enjoying the series, tree cats and all.

Wishing Everyone, A Merry Christmas, Happy Holiday Season, and a Healthy & Prosperous New Year!!

~Nyssa
Old 12-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #39
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yes, Honor Christmas.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #40
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Do you think that David Weber has concluded the Honor Harrington series? Seems to be focusing on some of Honor's pals.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #41
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Nimitz...
I knew I heard that name before.

USS Nimitz, Aircraft Carrier
Named after Chester W. Nimitz

Is there any sort of relation between the cat and the carrier or person?
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #42
specsavage
specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
David hasn't exactly concluded the Honor Harrington series, although she was originally scheduled to die several books ago. He then planned to skip a generation and take up the current struggle with the Sollies and the Mesan Alignment using Honor's children. Fan (and wifely) pressure forced him to change plans and speed up the storyline somewhat, but the result is that Honor has progressed too far both militarily and politically in rank to take personal part in the most interesting battles, giving her a more general mandate in the series. Progress through the ranks tends to eventually remove one from all but the most desperate "sharp ends" of war.

On another question, since some later treecats were named "Farragut", "Togo" and "Nelson", it's quite safe to attribute Nimitz's name to Chester Nimitz. It's incredibly difficult to answer some of these questions without spoilers.

Most people object to the "infodumps" of technology and politics, rather than the existence of treecats. Personally, I'm just glad he didn't go for mutant parrots!

The tech infodumps can be easily skimmed over without detracting from the action. The political machinations, though, can become seriously important in the stories...but not always. Still, through all the novels, you get one of the most richly described multi-empire starfaring civilizations ever written.

As long as he writes 'em, I'll read 'em.
specsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:11 PM   #43
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by artifact View Post
With the support of the cheerleaders, when I'm done tackling Brandon Sanderson's 2000 page fantasy manuscript due out in March I'll give this another go.

My mantra shall be treecats are -aliens-, you like aliens. They just look like kitty cats that are totally out of place riding around on people's shoulders on the bridge of a military vessel (that being one of the suspensions of belief I can't get past.) Poor misjudged sentient alien crewmember. Alien. Alien. Alien. Not a silly plot device, a sentient alien. Stop being so speciesest!

I have no problem with Kris Longknife's neck riding computer being on the bridge. I can handle Liaden norbear telepaths and pussy cats. I wouldn't question a squid in an envirosuit being one of the crew. I've handled shifters and furries. Surely, surely I can get past this. And if not, there are always more books waiting to be read.

Thanks all.
Remember, the treecats have six limbs so they're not quite like kitty cats, not to mention what they can do with their claws.

Perhaps it might help if you think of the treecat in the same light as a service animal, like a seeing eye dog. Or perhaps a permanently assigned aide or bodyguard, whose physical size prevents it from walking around after her all day long.

Though I do like the thought of comparing it to a parrot on a pirate's shoulder...
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:35 PM   #44
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Though I do like the thought of comparing it to a parrot on a pirate's shoulder...
C'mon, you didn't make that connection ...
Spoiler:
...when she got the eye patch?

Arrr, matey.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:57 PM   #45
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
C'mon, you didn't make that connection ...
Spoiler:
...when she got the eye patch?

Arrr, matey.
It's not a pirate connection.

Spoiler:
She loses her eye and arm, those are Nelson's wounds. Just as she was originally destined to die in battle. She's Nelson, not Teach.

Also, perhaps the most important reason for reading Honor Harrington: David Weber actually knows how a knight is addressed.

Too many American authors use the form "Sir Lastname," which is is utterly wrong and idiotic. "Sir" is an honorific applied to the first name, not a title applied to the surname.

Weber gets it right.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote