Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-21-2010, 09:58 PM   #16
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
The screen is not resistive, uses infrared and sensors that don't actually involve the screen at all. If you can find a product that'll work without being opaque then it'll probably work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemc2 View Post
There are a number products out there to remove/fill scratches in clear glass and plastic. I don't know the type of screen Sony is using on the new readers (resistive?) so I can't speak to how the scratch remover/filler might affect the functionality of the screen but it's worth a look.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:34 AM   #17
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemc2 View Post
There are a number products out there to remove/fill scratches in clear glass and plastic. I don't know the type of screen Sony is using on the new readers (resistive?) so I can't speak to how the scratch remover/filler might affect the functionality of the screen but it's worth a look.
I've used both Apple Sauce and iDrops to remove/reduce shallow scratches on gadget screens. I think iDrops does a better job on matte screens (that's what I used on my Kindle). You'll need loads of patience and several clean microfiber cloths to do the job right. Since the touch screen used in the PRS-x50 models is not part of the screen overlay, mending a scratch shouldn't cause any functional issues. But, if you settle on doing a half-way decent job instead of being thorough, you might create a cloudy spot on the screen.

http://podshop.com/idrops/?gclid=COz...FZJe7Aod0yGiZA
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2010, 12:27 PM   #18
bluerfoot
Zealot
bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: sony pocketbook 350
Thank you for this link, I will check it out. Perhaps this and a black skin and I will be back in business, boy I hate the look of it now...
bluerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:21 AM   #19
bluerfoot
Zealot
bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

questions, before I order both the idrop and the black skin...

1) would the idrop potentially take out the scratches on the base, or just on the screen? I ask because obviously I would rather not pay $25 for the skin if the idrop could remove (or mitigate) the scratch to the base.

2) could someone confirm that these decalgirl skins will not interfere with the case?

3) Finally, are the skins like cardboard? If I spilled (hoping I dont!) a bit of water or got caught in the rain, is my skin just going to melt away? I guess I am trying to see if it is treated with anything.

Thanks for listening...

Last edited by bluerfoot; 11-27-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:34 PM   #20
ilovegadgets
Connoisseur
ilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindles, iPad,Note 8, Note 3, iPhone 5,Sony 350& T1, Entourage PE & EE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerfoot View Post
questions,

2) could someone confirm that these decalgirl skins will not interfere with the case?

3) Finally, are the skins like cardboard? If I spilled (hoping I dont!) a bit of water or got caught in the rain, is my skin just going to melt away? I guess I am trying to see if it is treated with anything.

Thanks for listening...
The Decalgirl skin will not interfere with your case. The skin is thin and more like a vinyl sticker. Water won't affect your skin but of course would not be good for your reader. I have had a skin on my Kindle since Feb. 2009 and it still looks new. Although they stick very well to the device(Mine has not peeled at all) if you decide that you want to take it off of your device, they do not leave any residue when removed. www.kindleboards.com has many threads regarding decalgirl skins in their "accessories" section. Also, decalgirl constantly has discount codes so you might want to wait a little bit to see if you can find a code to use to discount the price. Right now the only discount code that I am aware of for Decalgirl is "buy two, get one free" I would not think that you would be interested in that code since you don't know if you will like the skin at all.
I am waiting for my Sony 350 to be delivered. I am not planning at this time to skin it because I think I will like the surface of it as it is. I bought a decalgirl skin for my Kindle because I didn't like the stark white.
Hope this helps
ilovegadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #21
bluerfoot
Zealot

Thanks.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:05 PM   #22
bluerfoot
Zealot

Ordered the black matte (extra), so I guess after that will be working on the scratch on the actually screen. After that I will look at the idrops, again thanks to everyone who took time to post with their knowledge.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:30 PM   #23
bluerfoot
Zealot

got my $25 decalgirl black matte skin. It looks good, covers the scratch and makes the screen appear more readable to me (since I don't have a metallic reflection surrounding it).

thanks everyone for their help.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:56 PM   #24
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Great news, bluerfoot! The metallic reflection was why I got a skin for my 505.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #25
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I think zagg sells clear skins
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #26
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
Doesn't credit card or home insurance cover accidental damage? But if you have a deductible... then you're probably out of luck.
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote