Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 08-23-2014, 10:02 AM   #1
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Calibre 2.0 problem editing CSS

If I open a css file in the editor and attempt to add a new rule to the file the Editor bombs out with a message "calibre worker process has encountered a problem and needs to close..." The error signature gives : AppName: calibre.parallel.exe AppVer 2.0.0.0 Modname: qt5core.dll ModVer 5.3.1.0 Offset 0001d1c5

The aim is to insert the following.
Code:
p 	{	
	margin-top: 0;
	margin-bottom: 0.3em;
	text-align: justify;
  text-indent : 1.3em;
}
As soon as I type the opening brace the editor bombs. If, however, I first type the closing brace and then come back and inset the opening brace all is fine and I can fill in the gap.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:47 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Works for me in a random epub file. Attach the file where this is happening along with exactly where you are trying to insert the text.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:55 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Works for me also.

I suspect there WAS some odd corruption in the CSS that got cleared by the save.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:14 PM   #4
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've tried it on another book and with the same results.

In the attached book (I have run "beautify" on the files, including the css files and then saved the book before editing), in epubbooks.css at line 7 hit <enter> to create a new line. Type p <space> { and when the open bracket is typed the editor briefly freezes then bombs out with the error. The aim was to insert the info in my first post. Other edits also bomb out when I type the unmatched { .

Just noticed that if I go to the end of the css file and hit <enter> the same problem occurs.

Running under Win XP SP3.

Bob C
Attached Files
File Type: epub Chalbert-test.epub (127.9 KB, 199 views)
Old 08-23-2014, 01:31 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah Windows XP. Qt 5 is a little flaky on windows xp. I'd suggest sticking with 1.48 on windows xp until you are ready to upgrade windows.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:50 PM   #6
BobC
Guru

Upgrade XP - that means new hardware, not something I was considering. I'd move to Linux but one of my other hobbies is Family History and a program I use extensively for that is Windows only.

I could maybe work round the css editing but have now found a number of other places in Calibre (not just the editor) where it bombs out.

It looks like it's back to 1.48 and being frozen without updates.

Thank's anyway.

BobC

Last edited by BobC; 08-23-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:59 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibre 1.48 is pretty good You can take your time and upgrade your hardware whenever you are ready.

And note that many windows programs can be run in linux using wine.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:15 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Windows 8.1 should be able to run where Windows XP ran. I see no reason not to update to Windows 8.1. Just remember that after you install Windows 8 (and then update to 8.1) or 8.1, also install Classic Start Menu so you can get back a proper desktop.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:50 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'd wait for Win 9 rather than installing Win 8.anything, I've had a sneak preview and it would seem many of the Win 8 'get-in-the-way' features have been relegated to the second division.

I refer to Win 8.n as Vista too

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:00 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I'd wait for Win 9 rather than installing Win 8.anything, I've had a sneak preview and it would seem many of the Win 8 'get-in-the-way' features have been relegated to the second division.

I refer to Win 8.n as Vista too

BR
When you install Classic Start Menu, you add in a proper start menu and fix the desktop. It works very well.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:28 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Sure, but if the pundits are right, Win 9 (Threshold) will go into beta next quarter. If you're considering a discretionary upgrade why not wait for its release, otherwise you'll either be stuck on a lemon, or you'll have to go through the hassle and expense of yet another upgrade.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:17 PM   #12
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Windows 7 or 8 will not run on older video hardware particularly, I have a laptop for which that is true.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:05 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Windows 7 or 8 will not run on older video hardware particularly, I have a laptop for which that is true.
What video hardware is in that laptop?
Old 08-24-2014, 08:49 AM   #14
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Intel, not sure of exact type. No Windows Driver model for it. Vista would drive either XP style or newer. Windows 7 only the current one.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:02 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Intel, not sure of exact type. No Windows Driver model for it. Vista would drive either XP style or newer. Windows 7 only the current one.
I've a laptop with some sort of Intel video built in. It works fine with Windows 7. It's an older laptop.