Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
A basic ftp server for Touch?

Duokan has a built-in ftp server( miniftpd ) which is very useful to add/remove items from Kindle w/o any need for a cable or ssh

Are there any to run through launcher?

I found one(ftpserver.py) but not have enough knowledge to make the required settings.

Attached all the related files that I have in case someone wants to work on this

In Duokan its really simple to use this ftp:
Spoiler:

1- Choose from the menu

2- use Windows' file browser with the given ftp address:
Attached Files
File Type: zip Duokan's ftp files.zip (34.3 KB, 256 views)
File Type: zip ftpserver and pyftpdlib-0.7.0.zip (129.9 KB, 245 views)
File Type: zip python 2.6 in Duokan.zip (2.86 MB, 252 views)
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
I don't know if it works for touch, but I don't see why not:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=22

This allows to connect over sshfs of sftp.
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostar View Post
I don't know if it works for touch, but I don't see why not:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=22

This allows to connect over sshfs of sftp.

It needs ssh, therefore it is not safe and not simple as Duokan's ftp
Old 03-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Huh?

ssh is WAY safer than FTP, and IMHO it's also easier to use.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
ssh is WAY safer than FTP
What I mean is not the security among different devices but security in my Kindle.
I only compared how much damage I can do on my device using each of them. Not know much about principles of protocols.

For me Duokan's way is easier because it doesn't need an app on my PC.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
EDIT: What ixtab said, except the long geekmaster version with all the extra "supporting" information ..

Most "respectable" internet service providers and web hosts do not even ALLOW FTP logins anymore, like since 1999 or shortly thereafter:

Excerpt from Wikipedia:
FTP was not designed to be a secure protocol—especially by today's standards—and has many security weaknesses. In May 1999, the authors of RFC 2577 listed a vulnerability to the following problems:
Bounce attacks
Spoof attacks
Brute force attacks
Packet capture (sniffing)
Username protection
Port stealing
FTP is not able to encrypt its traffic; all transmissions are in clear text, and usernames, passwords, commands and data can be easily read by anyone able to perform packet capture (sniffing) on the network. This problem is common to many of the Internet Protocol specifications (such as SMTP, Telnet, POP and IMAP) that were designed prior to the creation of encryption mechanisms such as TLS or SSL. A common solution to this problem is to use the "secure", TLS-protected versions of the insecure protocols (e.g. FTPS for FTP, TelnetS for Telnet, etc.) or a different, more secure protocol that can handle the job, such as the SFTP/SCP tools included with most implementations of the Secure Shell protocol.

Although on an unshared USBnet connection, it would not matter as much as long as we have no viruses or spyware sniffing our Windows network interfaces, and we all know how secure Windows is, don't we?

EDIT: And with the modern secure transfer protocols, we do not have to worry about corrupting our transferred binary data by forgetting to set BINARY transfer mode, as was all too common with FTP.

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-13-2012 at 05:57 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
EDIT: What ixtab said, except the long geekmaster version with all the extra "supporting" information ..
Got it

Thanks for the info
Old 03-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #8
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster
Got it

Thanks for the info
Why give a simple YES or NO answer, when you can write a entire BOOK on the subject?

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-13-2012 at 05:04 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #9
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
If you really really really want ftp access, you can use the attached server. I already changed the configuration a little, so you get read/write access to the root directory as the anonymous user (user "ftp" or "anonymous", any password).

To figure out how to run it, run "/path/to/bftpd --help"

Note that I still DO NOT recommend this. But it's your device after all
Attached Files
File Type: zip bftpd.zip (35.5 KB, 368 views)
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:52 AM   #10
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
If you really really really want ftp access, you can use the attached server. I already changed the configuration a little, so you get read/write access to the root directory as the anonymous user (user "ftp" or "anonymous", any password).
To figure out how to run it, run "/path/to/bftpd --help"
Thanks for this.
when I have some time I'll try to create a launcher item to open and close ftp quickly to use it as safe as possible.
If anyone does this before me please share..

Quote:
Note that I still DO NOT recommend this. But it's your device after all
I'll keep this in mind
Old 03-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #11
JustAMan
Groupie
JustAMan doesn't litterJustAMan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch
Why not use scp (WinSCP client on Windows works great)? If you don't execute "mntroot rw" you shouldn't break your device...
JustAMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #12
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAMan View Post
Why not use scp (WinSCP client on Windows works great)? If you don't execute "mntroot rw" you shouldn't break your device...
Actually I used WinSCP before.

However I have some problem when I try to use it ( sometimes work and some other times not. and I have no idea what's wrong about it)

with a static IP and a shortcut it is also a quick soln.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:11 AM   #13
JustAMan
Groupie

"Staticness" of IP address depends on either your router configuration (if you use SSH over WiFi) or it would be always static if you use SSH over USB.

BTW, WinSCP works for me any time I use it. It's just Kindle not re-indexing its storage without some nudge (the one I'm aware of is plug it as USB drive and then unplug) if you want to use it to put books there...
Old 03-15-2012, 06:40 AM   #14
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAMan View Post
It's just Kindle not re-indexing its storage without some nudge (the one I'm aware of is plug it as USB drive and then unplug)
There is a refresh command for this.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #15
JustAMan
Groupie

I recall reading a thread about it, but I tried some commands that were mentioned there and none worked on my device... Maybe I just tried the wrong ones. Can you point me the right command?