Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-06-2008, 03:16 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'll sure you'll be happy with the CyBook. Let us know what your view of it are when you get it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:45 AM   #17
sebastien
Enthusiast
sebastien began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Actually, the Gen3 3 is 350$ Canadian with a 32$ shipping fee from FedEx.

This said, I've recently went through the same process. I'm a CS grad too, but with a tighter budget ;-)

My first choice would have been the Iliad: Wireless, huge touch screen and it runs Linux with sshd, what more can you say! The reader is by far the more flexible in term of what it can display: CHM, HTML, PDF, etc. The only draw back was the battery life and since I have enough multi-function Linux device around the house, I've opted for the PRS-505.

As many Canadian reader might be interested, I bought it from B&H photovideo. They ship to Canada with USPS, so you avoid the annoying 30$ brokerage fee from UPS.

I've contemplated the Gen3 for a while, but after reading about the consumer support stories on this forum, I've opted for the Sony.
sebastien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:35 PM   #18
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastien View Post

This said, I've recently went through the same process. I'm a CS grad too, but with a tighter budget ;-)

My first choice would have been the Iliad: Wireless, huge touch screen and it runs Linux with sshd, what more can you say! The reader is by far the more flexible in term of what it can display: CHM, HTML, PDF, etc. The only draw back was the battery life and since I have enough multi-function Linux device around the house, I've opted for the PRS-505.

As many Canadian reader might be interested, I bought it from B&H photovideo. They ship to Canada with USPS, so you avoid the annoying 30$ brokerage fee from UPS.

I've contemplated the Gen3 for a while, but after reading about the consumer support stories on this forum, I've opted for the Sony.
The Cybook is as good as the Sony. I should know, I've got both a Gen3 and a PRS500. However, you are correct that there have been support and 'clarity of users guide' issues with the Cybook. From what I have seen, those are being dealt with.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:20 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I had an iLiad and sold it. As you say, it's very flexible, but I found it just too big to conveniently carry around with me, whereas my Gen3 is with me everywhere I go. I didn't find the iLiad's battery life to be an issue; what was an issue for me was the 45s boot time - that feels like an eternity if you want to read for only a few minutes at a time.

Quote:
Bookeen have radically improved their support recently. Seems to be fine now.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:34 PM   #20
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
getting sony books in Canada

Quote:

I've opted for the PRS-505.

Hi - thanks for your post. Do you mind me asking how you manage to buy Sony ebooks in Canada? Or will the Sony read other formats?
Thanks
Victoria from Halifax
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:13 PM   #21
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
Or will the Sony read other formats?
Quite a few, plus there are various ways to convert other formats to Sony formats - https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRS505 may help.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:58 AM   #22
sebastien
Enthusiast
sebastien began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I'm currently catching up on the old classics I find here:
http://manybooks.net/
http://www.munseys.com/site/home
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=126
http://www.feedbooks.com/
http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/

I use the libprs500 library to convert when necessary.

I haven't tried to buy a book so far. But since there is no shipping involved, I'm sure you can find a way to create an account and hope they accept your Canadian credit card.

Cheers,

Sébastien
sebastien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:20 PM   #23
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Bookeen have radically improved their support recently. Seems to be fine now.
That is good to hear. I currently read on an old Sony Clie that I use as a dedicated reader, as well as occasionally on my Treo. I am looking to add an e-ink device, and since I have a large collection of (non-DRMd) mobi files, I am looking at the Cybook as well as the Kindle.

I like the size and looks of the Cybook better -- as well as the ability to install/use fonts -- and don't need the Whispernet features of the Kindle. In making up my mind, service and support is an important variable.

Last edited by bwaldron; 03-17-2008 at 02:46 PM.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:58 PM   #24
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Quite a few, plus there are various ways to convert other formats to Sony formats - https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRS505 may help.
Thanks for the tip: this is just what I looking for!
Vicki
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote