Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-07-2007, 09:47 AM   #1
sein
Connoisseur
sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle, inkBook, Kobo
Cybook Gen3: Latest about supported formats, price, etc.

This seems to be the latest official release about the Cybook Gen3 (as on 7 Oct, 2007): its price, release deadline, formats, new design, etc

http://www.teleread.org/blog/

It says:

"From the Bookeen blog:

We have recently released the 0.98 version of the firmware. As announced previously, in this version we do support PDF format with some features as fit width, fit page, fit height and rotate 0°, 90°, 180°,270°.

The software will be ready on time and, as already said, the supported formats will be for this first release: Mobipocket (encrypted and unencrypted), HTML, PalmDoc, Txt and PDF. RTF and other formats supports will come on further firmware releases. The firmware update will, of course, be possible for every Cybook Gen3 possessor. The Cybook final design has been slightly modified, the surface treatment is not glossy anymore but keeps its soft touch. The navigation button has also been modified to be easier to press on.

Concerning our release date, the Cybook Gen3 will be definitely available before end of October. We will send very soon an official release date via our newsletter (subscribe here) and this blog. At this occasion we will also announce the opening of Cybook Gen3 pre-sales on our website.

Concerning the price we confirm a $350 for US territory and 350 Euros for Europe."

Sounds really interesting. Hope it goes on sale soon.
sein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:36 AM   #2
fred
Addict
fred has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fred has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fred has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fred has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
350 euros ????

More expensive for European people !!!!
A very bad news...
fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:21 AM   #3
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred View Post
350 euros ????

More expensive for European people !!!!
A very bad news...
It is always like that. The price in the US is without taxes. In Europe the VAT is included. And that is around 19%

Try buying the new Sony in the US. It is $300. You will pay about $80 for transport, 6-10% import duties and 19% VAT over the complete deal. Do the math and you end up with something like 340 Euro.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:52 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
It is always like that. The price in the US is without taxes. In Europe the VAT is included. And that is around 19%
19.6% in France, which is what everyone in the EU will pay. If you live outside the EU, you won't be charged VAT but you will then have to pay whatever local import duties apply.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:17 PM   #5
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
350€ inc. 19,6% VAT means 292€ without (350/1,196) = +-414$ (1E=+-1,42$)

So European pay an extra 64$ for the gen3.
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:22 PM   #6
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
... and get 2 years of warranty. Well, € = $ is a common practice, is it not?
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:23 PM   #7
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by guguy View Post
350€ inc. 19,6% VAT means 292€ without (350/1,196) = +-414$ (1E=+-1,42$)

Not quite. You also get the 2 years warranty that you have by law in Europe instead of the 90 days in the US
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 04:15 PM   #8
fred
Addict
fred has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fred has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fred has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fred has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
19.6% in France, which is what everyone in the EU will pay. If you live outside the EU, you won't be charged VAT but you will then have to pay whatever local import duties apply.
Harry, what do you prefer ? Sony Reader or Iliad Irex ? Thank You !
Old 10-07-2007, 04:28 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred View Post
Harry, what do you prefer ? Sony Reader or Iliad Irex ? Thank You !
Fred, the real question is what do you want to do with your eink device should you buy one? Both are good. If you just want to read books, then the 505, if you want to do more then read books, then iLiad.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:10 PM   #10
fred
Addict

Ok JSWOLF thank's.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:48 AM   #11
benzion72
benzion72 began at the beginning.

Device: mobile phone
Is anybody thinking of other part of the world Africa, Asia, Australia, South America there is a lot of market in these areas infact it is the home to so many people even more than North America and Europe
benzion72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:21 PM   #12
hamh
Connoisseur
hamh began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3G / Milestone / 505 / iPad 3G
I'm now holding my breath for the the new ebook reader... I was originally thinking about the sony 505, but looks like the sony connect doesn't have as much books as the mobipocket store. That's why I think may be the gen3 is a better choice.

What do you guys think?
hamh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:34 PM   #13
Bagtrail
Bagtrail began at the beginning.

Device: Airis T620
Price of ebook reader

I agree with Fred that the price in Europe is too high, but moreover I cannot see ebook readers becoming more widely accepted unless prices drop by a big margin. At 350€ the Cybook is going to be well above what most readers would be prepared to fork out for a device which - compared with other gadgets at 350€ - has very limited functionality. Until they are down to 100-150€ most consumers will not give them a second thought. I read ebooks avidly, mostly from Many Books and Project Gutenberg, and I would love to have a device that offers a bigger, clearer screen, but not at 350€.
Bagtrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:01 PM   #14
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
350 Euro?
PHEW!!!
350 Euro is almost 500 Dollars!
Come on ...
Even with the 19.6% VAT the $350 price becomes $418,6
... and do not try to tell me the difference is in the European 2 year warranty.
A two year service plan for Sony Reader at sonystyle.com costs whooping 25 bucks!
That would make the price $443.6
We are still being ripped for almost 60 bucks!

I know, I know ...
I am beating that dead horse again
I can't help myself when I see such a balant ripoff.

I am really sick and tired.
And I suspect that manufacturers abuse our VAT and longer warranty as an excuse to rip us off. Whatever you buy here in Europe - from iPod, iMac, e-ink reader to Kitchenaid kitchen appliance is much more expensive than in the USA.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:12 PM   #15
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
Not quite. You also get the 2 years warranty that you have by law in Europe instead of the 90 days in the US
2 Year Service Plan for a product in a $250-$500 price range costs a whooping $24,99 at sonystyle.com
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote