Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-13-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
PodPeople
Connoisseur
PodPeople doesn't litterPodPeople doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch, iPad 3, Kindle 4B
Anyone buy a Jetbook Lite just because it uses replaceable batteries?

It seems to me that this is the main selling point of the Jetbook Lite versus the original Jetbook and the Aluratek Libre. I'm concerned about how long the non-replaceable lithium ion batteries in the Jetbook and Libre will last. Because their batteries will have to be recharged often the useful life of these readers may be pretty short. The Jetbook Lite should last indefinitely because it uses ordinary AA batteries.
PodPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
I prefer regular jetbook, because it should be lighter to hold. If I understand correctly, lithium could be charged over 1000 times before it starts to show significant deterioration. That's quite a lot of reading time for me!

If I should buy a 'lite', it'd be because I wanted its DRM capability.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
PodPeople
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
If I understand correctly, lithium could be charged over 1000 times before it starts to show significant deterioration. That's quite a lot of reading time for me!
From the Wikipedia article on lithium ion batteries:

A disadvantage of lithium-ion cells lies in their relatively poor cycle life: upon every (re)charge, deposits form inside the electrolyte that inhibit lithium ion transport, resulting in the capacity of the cell to diminish. ... At a 100% charge level, a typical Li-ion laptop battery that is full most of the time at 25 °C or 77 °F will irreversibly lose approximately 20% capacity per year.

I don't know whether the capacity loss would be as bad for an e-reader battery as it is for a laptop battery - probably not. However, I still think it is something to consider. I once bought my sister a Rocket Ebook which I don't think she ever used. Now its battery is dead and will not take a charge. I'd rather not have my e-reader turn into a brick like that.

Where did you see the 1,000 charge statistic?
Old 02-13-2010, 09:37 PM   #4
LS650
Enthusiast
LS650 is on a distinguished road

Device: Android, Jetbook Lite
It was part of my decision. I wanted to be able to take an ebook reader when I am camping or travelling in areas with no 120V A/C.
LS650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I bought mine during the Christmas sales. If the jetBook were $117 and the jetBook Lite were $159, I probably would have gone for the jetBook.

I am on my second jetbook Lite because the first froze up on me after 30 days. So I am waiting to see if it will happen again. But other than that, no complaints.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 10:08 PM   #6
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PodPeople View Post
Where did you see the 1,000 charge statistic?
I read saw that figure in passing. Can't find the source anymore.
Could be wrong.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:33 AM   #7
heffe2001
Zealot
heffe2001 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage 3g
I have one of each, and I definitely prefer the regular Jetbook for my reading (although the battery compartment on the back of the Lite is a convenient handhold). I'm not too concerned with the Lithium-Ion battery life, as I usually replace my tech toys at least once a year, and I have my eye on a 9" reader sometime when it hits the shelves..
heffe2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:02 AM   #8
manifestor
Connoisseur
manifestor began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZreader, Aluratek Libre Pro
Honestly, the battery compartment of the Jetbook Lite/M218C is so ugly that I'd stick with the regular jetbook/libre/M218A+. Nothing lasts forever and if the lithium battery inside my libre begins to deteriorate, I'd probably buy a compatible lithium battery and replace it myself or simply buy a new reader. Technology is advancing really quickly and I think by the time the battery inside my reader fails, there will probably be a new reader model with much better spec that I won't look back anymore.

Last edited by manifestor; 02-14-2010 at 07:05 AM.
manifestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:55 AM   #9
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Ok figure I lose 20 % capacity per year as stated above.

Start with 20 hours of use per charge.
So after a year I'm down to 16 hours.
After 2 I'm down to 12 hours and it might be time to change batterys.

A link was posted a LONG time ago which gave the part # to go to battery's plus. To order the exact replacement battery, new battery was aprox 30$.

Pretty easy to spend that much for 8 rechargeable battery's and charger. Will they still be running after 2 years?

Now I know I'm not hardware savvy enough to figure which is the best way out of this.
But I also know a couple of the guys here on the Jetbook forums are on top of it.

FYI specs say the JBL is some 2 oz's heavier than the Jetbook with internal L-Ion.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:31 AM   #10
PodPeople
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffe2001 View Post
I have one of each, and I definitely prefer the regular Jetbook for my reading (although the battery compartment on the back of the Lite is a convenient handhold).
Heffe2001, can you tell me why you definitely prefer the regular Jetbook for your reading? Is it the lower weight or what?
Old 02-14-2010, 03:45 PM   #11
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Yes, I bought it because it uses replaceable batteries. I hate nothing more than to want to use one of my devices only to realize it needs to be charged before hand. With replaceables, I just always have an extra set around that is charged. Pop out dead, pop in fresh, and boom, ready to read!
I know I am not in the majority for liking replaceable batteries, but I still have a Sansa M250 mp3 player just because it uses AAA batteries. I listen to it at night for insomnia. It doesn't work too well when you want to go to sleep, but have to recharge your battery first. I guess I'm getting old!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:20 AM   #12
wackywalt
wackywalt began at the beginning.

Device: jetBook Lite
I totally agree with silverraven. Got 2 jetBook Lites and 1 jetBook. The jetBook was for my wife. When the juice ran out on the jetBook, there was no alternative but to recharge for the night. I noted the page on the jetBook and gave her one of the JBL for the interim. If the concern is rechargables, the JBL can use rechargables.
wackywalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #13
CyberSmoke53
Enthusiast
CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Using the replaceable AA batteries plus the ability to read the eReader DRM as well as the special rebate from Fictionwise made the Jetbook lite a good value for me so this definitely influenced my choice.

Actually as far as holding the JetBook lite, I find the hump of the battery compartment helps me hold on to the Jetbook lite securely with one hand. I can hold on to the jetbook lite and use the slide bar to turn pages all with one. The other hand can be used for eating, or drinking. lol
CyberSmoke53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:59 PM   #14
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackywalt View Post
When the juice ran out on the jetBook, there was no alternative but to recharge for the night.
Walt, are you sure? My understanding is that when the juice runs out, you can continue to read with the unit while it is plugged into the wall recharging.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:58 PM   #15
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Russel when I try to do that strange things end up happening. Much easier to just remember to plug it in every 3rd or 4th day.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote