Notices

Old 02-21-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
Bonex
Connoisseur
Bonex began at the beginning.

Device: KDXG, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD
Firmware 2.0.5??

Hi there!
I've just discovered on pocketbook.de support page a new firmware called Arabic, with version 2.0.5 for the PB 902/602. Release date is 16/02.
Does anybody know anything about it?
I mean, it probably adds support for the Arabic language, but it also has a new version number, so maybe (hopefully) it is addressing some known issues.
The page is here.
Bonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:47 PM   #2
OphReader
Connoisseur
OphReader began at the beginning.

Device: 902
Interesting indeed. I'm almost tempted to flash it. But why has it not been anounced? And why is there no release note?? Hmm...
OphReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #3
Bonex
Connoisseur

Maybe it was anounced on the russian forum like 2.0.4. And again, no release notes!
Yesterday I flashed that 2.0.4 and I sorely regret it. First I risked to brick the reader, then I discovered that the dictionary support is worse, so I won't try this new one until I'm sure.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:36 PM   #4
OphReader
Connoisseur

I just flashed the thing... device still boots up, so no harm done.

I just flipped a bit through the menus. There are some changes for sure. For example, now there's a "update software" button in the Maintenance menu. Also the menu which appears in pdfreader and adobe reader when you press the middle button have the same look. There's a new option in adobe reader's menu "Text Direction: from left to right" (I suppose it can be changed to the opposite as well) I do not know what it does though.

The fbreader (sadly) still ignores formatting, but it could be a little better - I'm not sure. Also I think the zooming ability of pdfreader might have increased, but I'm not sure either. One thing's for sure at least: increasing the zoom now lays also on the wheel button (up - down), so you cannot scroll through a zoomed page anymore - I hope this can be fixed in the configuration menu

*edit*:

On the second thought I don't think that fbreader now displays epubs better or that pdfreader now can better zoom than before - I think it's exactly the same. Adobe Reader still has no font size inbetween 9 and 12 btw, but...

Last edited by OphReader; 02-21-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:56 PM   #5
Bonex
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by OphReader View Post
I just flashed the thing... device still boots up, so no harm done.
Brave!

Quote:
There's a new option in adobe reader's menu "Text Direction: from left to right" (I suppose it can be changed to the opposite as well) I do not know what it does though.
This is probably for Arabic text, which is written from right to left.

Quote:
The fbreader (sadly) still ignores formatting, but it could be a little better - I'm not sure.
If I'm not mistaken the original project of fbreader still lacks support for CSS, so until it is added there I highly doubt we'll ever see it on the PB readers.
Advert
Old 02-21-2011, 08:06 PM   #6
Bonex
Connoisseur

Oh, I forgot to ask. Can you check the dictionary with epub's? Do you have to wait for it to display the meaning of every word while you're moving the cursor to the word you need?
Unless they changed that behaviour, I'm going back to 2.0.3 for now.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:08 AM   #7
OphReader
Connoisseur

If you keep the up/down button pressed the meaning does not change while you scroll. The scrolling in fbreader is pretty fast, in adobereader it's definitely more slowly than in 2.0.3.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:10 AM   #8
tomhck
Enthusiast
tomhck began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 902
I flashed 2.0.5 few minutes ago and i found:
1. fbreader180 doesn't work properly (it jumps to next chapter, when i try to turn a page)
2. After flashing 2.0.5 — info about last position in all books is lost (Every book opens on the first page).
3. "Update mode" in fbreader is broken. You can set the mode to "good quality" but in fact it looks like in "high speed"
4. maybe some positive changes, but i'm going back to 2.0.4
tomhck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:10 AM   #9
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note Air3 C
2 seem like it could be expected with a flashing

1 could be the button settings were reset so the same action you would have used now does something different.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:48 PM   #10
sarkash
Enthusiast
sarkash has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PB 902
The most important pdf zoom function(atleast for me) is pdfviewer's "Fit width", which now has become totally useless. Now, after "Fit width" is applied, one can not maneuver inside the page to view the upper or lower rest. (in AdobeViewer the function did not work at all, atleast the way its supposed to work on an ereader)

i can't understand how can a firmware be released without testing such an important PDF-ZOOM function.

Edit:
After some more testing, it looks like the key mapping system for pdfviewer has been missed up with. The direction keys for pdf files(in pdfviewer) are now assignable which clearly they should not be. Their function should only be to navigate around the pdf document(which it used to be).

Last edited by sarkash; 02-26-2011 at 08:28 PM.
sarkash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:49 AM   #11
marty63
Enthusiast
marty63 doesn't littermarty63 doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook Pro 902
Interesting is, that the on Russian plus Ukrainian sites firmware 2.05 isn't made public. Is that a really official release? Sites, which this version firmware publish, are USA and Germany. If this stated, understand, that the Pocket Book is narky.
Publish firmware, that is not ready, without notice, be by keeper sites irresponsible.
marty63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:16 AM   #12
sarkash
Enthusiast
sarkash has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PB 902
BTW i noticed that note taking and bookmarking in pdfviewer has been partly fixed(i really need this); it basically works only on books which have an active Contents; with others its a total miss; by clicking on the notes or bookmarks, it simply jumps to the last page; the notes are sorted by creation date instead of their page number;

AND I'm back to 2.0.4...

2.0.5 is a total no go for me at this stage!

Last edited by sarkash; 02-28-2011 at 01:19 AM.
sarkash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:18 PM   #13
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
You guys are BRAVE to flash with this 2.0.5....

I will stay on 2.0.4 until this pocketbook developers put more effort on what they are doing
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarkash View Post
BTW i noticed that note taking and bookmarking in pdfviewer has been partly fixed(i really need this); it basically works only on books which have an active Contents; with others its a total miss; by clicking on the notes or bookmarks, it simply jumps to the last page; the notes are sorted by creation date instead of their page number;

AND I'm back to 2.0.4...

2.0.5 is a total no go for me at this stage!
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:19 AM   #14
marty63
Enthusiast
marty63 doesn't littermarty63 doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook Pro 902
IMHO 2.05 is not official release.
marty63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:34 PM   #15
OphReader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty63 View Post
IMHO 2.05 is not official release.
Why the F* is it on PB's "official" website in the download section then?