Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-26-2013, 01:06 AM   #1
DesmondD
DesmondD began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch
Word , photoshop and inserting images.

I did a search and don't see this subject mentioned. I am using "Microsoft Word for mac" and photoshop. I have resized and edited a few photos and they insert fine into the document. Occasionally an image shows up extra small in the document even though the dimensions are exactly the same when I check the info - and I know I have resized them the same in photoshop.
I'm trying to work out what it is - I've tried re-saving them as "baseline" and then as "progressive" files but it makes no difference.
if I delete the image that has shown too small and insert an image that has previously worked fine that image comes out ok so I don't think it's anything to do with the format of the document.
Any advice would be appreciated .
DesmondD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:17 AM   #2
DesmondD

While I remember it only seems to be the images I've copied from my blog and edited ...
Advert
Old 01-26-2013, 02:28 AM   #3
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
DOCX files are ZIP archives. Open them up (or is it "expand" on a Mac?) and compare the same image that you processed in Photoshop, against the same image that Word processed.

If you save it as a JPG in Photoshop, then import it into Word - which also saves it as JPG - then you're doing it wrong. Saving from a lossy format to another lossy format is a bad idea.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:41 AM   #4
DesmondD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpider View Post
DOCX files are ZIP archives. Open them up (or is it "expand" on a Mac?) and compare the same image that you processed in Photoshop, against the same image that Word processed.

If you save it as a JPG in Photoshop, then import it into Word - which also saves it as JPG - then you're doing it wrong. Saving from a lossy format to another lossy format is a bad idea.
Thanks for the reply - I was told to insert jpegs and all of my images are saved as jpegs anyway. The issue seems to be when I copy/download one of my images I have up on my blog and change something in photoshop - it suddenly shrinks in size in Word. I can edit the pictures I took today which are all saved as jpegs on my camera , make adjustments in photoshop - resize them to 520 wide and they all work fine - so I doubt the problem is to do with jpegs themselves. It's something to do with editing an image I have downloaded - even when the dimensions are exactly the same as with the images that work fine - the pictures suddenly shrink when I insert them ???
Old 01-26-2013, 03:00 AM   #5
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Mac users...

They shrink but the dimensions are the same... Wut?

Hold Ctrl ("Cmd"?) and use the mouse scroll to zoom in. Same with the blog. You probably have a different zoom level in your browser. Use Ctrl+0 (or Ctrl+Num0) on that web page.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2013, 03:06 AM   #6
DesmondD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpider View Post
Mac users...

They shrink but the dimensions are the same... Wut?

Hold Ctrl ("Cmd"?) and use the mouse scroll to zoom in. Same with the blog. You probably have a different zoom level in your browser. Use Ctrl+0 (or Ctrl+Num0) on that web page.
I'll see if these links work here first the image that shows up small ...

then the one that looks fine

they are both the same dimensions but one appears very small on the page.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:07 AM   #7
DesmondD

I have set them at exactly the same dimensions in photoshop - 520 wide - the one downloaded and resized comes out smaller ?
Old 01-26-2013, 03:16 AM   #8
DesmondD

ok , solved it . When I open the two images in photoshop they both show as 520 wide BUT: the one that is giving trouble registers as 300dpi while the good one shows as 72 dpi.
When I change the bad one to 72 dpi then the width shows as 125 which is how it appears in the Word document .
user error on photoshop I suppose