Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-12-2007, 09:23 AM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Abiword

I've got AbiWord working on my iLiad! I can write, type, save, and open.

Quote:
AbiWord is able to read and write all industry standard document types, such as OpenOffice.org documents, Microsoft Word documents, WordPerfect documents, Rich Text Format documents, HTML web pages and many more.

However, opening word documents is a bit of a problem (see second screenshot). Also, before it will run, changes will need to be made to the root file system. (see this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=11)

However, with a bit more work and bug squashing, we should have a full featured document creator/viewer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	abiword.png
Views:	1153
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	3092   Click image for larger version

Name:	abiword2.png
Views:	1233
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	3093  
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:43 AM   #2
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
However, opening word documents is a bit of a problem (see second screenshot).
Do you mean MS .doc format or all MS Word formats in general?

I use MS Word for .rtf and just wonder if this causes problems as well.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2007, 10:06 AM   #3
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

It should work with RTF, although I am having some problems opening them at the moment...
Old 04-12-2007, 10:37 AM   #4
pdam
Groupie
pdam doesn't litterpdam doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, iPaq, Psion5&7, Blackberry
Wow - an amazing port - do the Abiword features work, such as the tool ribbon for Bold, Bullets etc?

This port make the device so much more appealing! Great work ...
pdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:27 AM   #5
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

All of the formatting features work without problem.

Right now, the issue I'm having is with reading and opeing RTF and DOC files. I thought this was a font issue, but if I save it in AbiWord's native format, it works fine.

Edit: I just tested it with Hudson's USB Keyboard module: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10214 and it works great!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	abiword3.png
Views:	922
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	3097  

Last edited by Adam B.; 04-12-2007 at 11:39 AM.
Advert
Old 04-12-2007, 11:49 AM   #6
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: IREX iLiad, Pocketbook Pro 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B.
All of the formatting features work without problem.

Right now, the issue I'm having is with reading and opeing RTF and DOC files. I thought this was a font issue, but if I save it in AbiWord's native format, it works fine.

Edit: I just tested it with Hudson's USB Keyboard module: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10214 and it works great!
1) Couldn't it still be a font issue, so that only if the exact font is available it can be shown? Does it help to select a part of the document and change the font. Does it then become visible?

2) The iLiad community is an international community.
The Hudson USB Keyboard module does not fully support my Dutch USB keyboard. How can it be adapted? An extra key-code lookup table file per language? How does it cooperate with the iLiad on-screen keyboard?

I have another (seemingly US/Int USB keyboard here, will test that as well)
henkvdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:41 PM   #7
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

I've only done a bit of research on AbiWord, but it seems that if it can't parse an RTF or Doc correctly, it will just show an empty document. This is exactly what happens, the font isn't simply not there, but the text is gone completely (Verified by showing formatting marks).

As far as the keyboard module, I can't help you out. I haven't used or looked at it anymore than downloading the package, and running it from the contentlister. Perhaps Hudson would be able to help you out further.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:03 PM   #8
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: IREX iLiad, Pocketbook Pro 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B.
I've only done a bit of research on AbiWord, but it seems that if it can't parse an RTF or Doc correctly, it will just show an empty document. This is exactly what happens, the font isn't simply not there, but the text is gone completely (Verified by showing formatting marks).

As far as the keyboard module, I can't help you out. I haven't used or looked at it anymore than downloading the package, and running it from the contentlister. Perhaps Hudson would be able to help you out further.
I installed AbiWord on my Windows PC. DOCs and RTFs are doing OK

Look also here: http://www.abiword.com/release-notes/2.5.1.phtml
henkvdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:26 PM   #9
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

I'vetalkto an Abi dev, and I think we've narrowed down the problem. More updates to follow.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:53 AM   #10
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Adam B., this looks promising. Any text editing program for our toy would be cool.
Maybe it's time to find the right foldable usb keyboard.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:47 PM   #11
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

I've got abiWord working on the iLiad with RTF and DOC!!

The attached screenshot is a document I made in Microsoft Word 2003. It looks exactly the same in abiWord unmodified.

I'm attaching the package, but the program will not run in it's current form. You will need to do some modification to the root filesystem. As I don't want to touch it with a script, I'll leave this step up to you.

Code:
cp /mnt/cf/abiword/loaders/* /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0/loaders/
/usr/bin/gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders > /etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders
Once unbricking becomes available, I won't be so hesitant to touch the root filesystem and will most likely repackage all of my apps.

Compact Flash Version: http://projects.mobileread.com/iliad.../abiwordcf.zip
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	abiword4.png
Views:	846
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	3213  
Old 04-20-2007, 12:56 PM   #12
templario
Connoisseur
templario began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
That´s good news, well done as usual. I´ll wait till someone makes a easy script since i have no idea of what you wrote in the code.

Thanks
templario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:59 PM   #13
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by templario
That´s good news
With Word/RTF formats now available on the iLiad, my next goal is excel: http://www.gnome.org/projects/gnumeric/

Hopefully soon, there won't be a single format that won't need to be converted for the iLiad.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:39 PM   #14
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: RM Tablet PC, iLiad, PRS 505, iPod Touch
Adam B.,

How did you sort out the screen refresh with Abiword?
Under which circumstances will the screen refresh in full or only partial? How can the user control this?
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:42 PM   #15
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Right now, it's just using the standard typing refresh in Antartica's libX11. Inside iliad_refresh.conf you can change typing to Full and/or modify the time afterward.