Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-13-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
ligelowbee
ligelowbee will become famous soon enoughligelowbee will become famous soon enoughligelowbee will become famous soon enoughligelowbee will become famous soon enoughligelowbee will become famous soon enoughligelowbee will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Getting Authors to sort by last name using Calibre's metadata plugboard.

I've had my prs505 for a while now and it's always irked me that when listing books by author it sorted by the author's first name. I used to use a few messy work arounds (like altering a book's author metadata after copying it to my device) but now Calibre has given me a nice clean solution.

First I set Calibre's metadata management to Automatic management. Now when I update metadata in Calibre it gets synced to the device when plugged in. Very nice:
Preferences -> Sending books to devices -> Metadata management.

Then I made a Metadata Plugboard in Calibre that would have the device to use the author_sort entries as its authors entries:
Preferences -> Metadata plugboards
Add new plugboard -> format: device_db , device: PRS505, Source template: {author_sort}, Destination field: authors

Then I saved the plugboard, applied, and when I plugged in my PRS-505 Calibre massaged its database so that authors were listed as Lastname, Firstname. Swell.

As a side note I've found that the best format to use for books with multiple authors is:
Jane Doe & John Smith & Foo Bar
This gets translated neatly as:
Doe, Jane & Smith, John & Bar, Foo

I hope others enjoy this as much as I do.

Cheers,
Lee

Last edited by ligelowbee; 10-13-2010 at 06:14 PM.
ligelowbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, ligelowbee
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
microbe7
microbe7 began at the beginning.

Device: k4B
Thank you so much for this! The failure to sort by author last name was the only thing that I didn't like about my new prs-650!
microbe7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:56 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, microbe7

Feel free to use the "introduce me" link below to join us...
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:40 AM   #5
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Does this do the same thing as the 'Use author sort for author' option in Calibre's Sony device plugin, or is the new metadata plugboard feature an even better way of managing author sort? I haven't messed with the plugboard feature yet, but it looks like it has lots of interesting uses...
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2010, 12:06 PM   #6
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Just go to the sony device plugin under preferences and choose to modify it. There is an option there that will sort your books by author last name without you having to do anything else at all in calibre.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote