Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-09-2013, 04:49 AM   #766
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I'm back to my pre-Christmas break weight , so I'm pleased with that.
Good on ya!

Quote:
So the challenge now is to lose another 4 pounds to get to my target weight, at which point I'll just work on stabilising, and probably move to a one day per week fasting schedule. Happy New Year .
I don't think I could handle the 'fasting' business. My mouth is one of my favorite friends, and I hate to deny it pleasure. Even with all this weight loss, I never denied myself treats fairly often. Just tiny ones. Starbucks was my friend for that one... Each day when I'd go in for lunch and a read, they would always give me a little paper cup with a small taste of the desert of the day. Just a single bite... chocolate cake, cheese cake, Cinnamon Roll, etc. And that was enough to stave off a Sweet Tooth Attack. For lunch I'd have one of the Chicken/Veggie Wraps, touted at 154 calories, and the bite of cake may have pushed that to 165... It worked out well.

I haven't been on the scale in several days... Tomorrow morning I'll see what has happened in the past 4-5 days. I haven't been pushing nearly as hard as I did before the New Year, but still exercising and eating small.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:01 AM   #767
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I don't think I could handle the 'fasting' business. My mouth is one of my favorite friends, and I hate to deny it pleasure. Even with all this weight loss, I never denied myself treats fairly often. Just tiny ones. Starbucks was my friend for that one... Each day when I'd go in for lunch and a read, they would always give me a little paper cup with a small taste of the desert of the day. Just a single bite... chocolate cake, cheese cake, Cinnamon Roll, etc. And that was enough to stave off a Sweet Tooth Attack. For lunch I'd have one of the Chicken/Veggie Wraps, touted at 154 calories, and the bite of cake may have pushed that to 165... It worked out well.

I haven't been on the scale in several days... Tomorrow morning I'll see what has happened in the past 4-5 days. I haven't been pushing nearly as hard as I did before the New Year, but still exercising and eating small.

Stitchawl
Well it's not like I'm starving myself, just keeping to a maximum of 600 calories on the fasting day. Sounds like you're not far off that yourself on some days? But it is still difficult occasionally, and I find I get colder on the fasting days, and definitely more irritable. I'm normally a real pussycat, but for some reason on the fast days I'm like a bear with a sore head . So that's why, once I reach my 11 stone 7 pounds target (73kg) I will try going to one day fasting per week, which reduces the pressure a tad.

Let us know how tomorrow's weighing ceremony goes.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2013, 05:47 AM   #768
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Well it's not like I'm starving myself, just keeping to a maximum of 600 calories on the fasting day. Sounds like you're not far off that yourself on some days?
Ah.... I misunderstood. I thought it was a complete fast. Yes, since August I've been shooting for between 600-900 calories a day, towards the lower end if I can arrange it, but not going over the higher end.

Quote:
But it is still difficult occasionally, and I find I get colder on the fasting days, and definitely more irritable.
Parts of me are MUCH colder. I've taken to wearing fingerless gloves in the house, and often need a thin watch cap at night. Of course, Japanese houses don't have central heating, and we keep the bedrooms closed off from the heated areas so it get's pretty chilly at night. But during the days outside, I don't notice it as much. Living in Vermont for so long, I just naturally dress for 'cold' to stay warm. Even riding today... 4°-6° on the thermometer so with wind chill factor at 80kph well down in the minus numbers, I was comfortable. The guys I was riding with decided to make the ride shorter than we first planned though... one of them was really in pain. Fortunately, they sell the disposable handwarmers in all the convenience stores, and they are as cheap as dirt here. My friends damn near covered themselves with them. They sell the sort that have a sticky side to them, and the guy who had the big problem put 6 of them on his back under his jacket, one inside each glove, and one inside each boot. The other guys only put them in their gloves and boots, and one guy added one over each kidney.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #769
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Don't do this!

I heard a report on NPR that a typical American adult was at a healthy weight when they were in their twenties but then put on an average of just 2 pounds per year (which doesn't sound like much) until they wake up one day in their fifties and find they are seriously obese. That's me! The attached plot shows all the weights (pounds) I have records for since I graduated high school (1975). You'll see that I was 143 in college and reached a peak of 216 a little over three years ago. I tried several times in the interim to lose weight and each time put it all back on. Then I finally got disgusted with myself and totally changed my attitude to eating and exercise. I lost 66 pounds! Yes, it can be done!

But then I did exactly what I said I wouldn't do and what I have seen every other person do who has lost lots of weight: I've been putting it back on. You can see I've regained nearly half of what I had lost. I've seen one guy who must have lost 100 pounds (he was my hero!) turn around and put it all back on and more in about a year. That must be heart wrenching. Aside from a (temporary?) knee issue that limits the kinds of exercises I can do, I have no reasons I can give for my own problems. I'm currently back on the way down but who knows for how long.

My only advice is (1) take a look at that apparently typical graph and ask yourself if it resembles you, (2) look and feel your body and honestly ask yourself if you think you're healthy, and if not then (3) do something about it (I don't know what or how because I clearly don't have the complete answer). I wish you luck!

Last edited by vivaldirules; 01-11-2013 at 12:09 PM.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #770
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A cautionary tale, vivaldirules, and relevant to the current discussion, I must say. I am determined not to put back the 30 pounds I have lost, but am aware it could happen.

PS - can I make one small suggestion...change your avatar tag-line .

Last edited by orlok; 01-11-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Advert
Old 01-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #771
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
A cautionary tale, vivaldirules, and relevant to the currnt discussion, I must say. I am determined not to put back the 30 pounds I have lost, but am aware it could happen.

PS - can I make one small suggestion...change your avatar tag-line .
Old 01-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #772
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I strongly recommend using a website like Live Strong to track your food intake. You tell it what you weigh, your age, and height. You tell it if you are trying to lose weight or maintain and how active you are in your day to day life. Based on that, it tells you the number of calories you should be aiming for on a given day. You track your food there and it helps you stay on track.

I know there are other sites, I happen to have chosen Live Strong because I like the articles on the site as well as the food journal.

I know I have a tendancy to think that I am eating fine and then I look at what I have eaten and how it adds up and go "wow" I would go so far as to say that most Americans have no idea what a true portion size is and how much they are actually eating. Being conscious of what you are consuming and honest with yourself helps to bring your food consumption into better alignment and makes it easier to lose weight and to maintain that weight lose.

Five years ago I weighed 205. Today I am at 175. I would like to get to 160, a number set by my Doctor, and am committed to getting there this year. I wish I had been working on it the last month but getting pneumonia twice has derailed that. I am thrilled that I have maintained my weight. I had weighed 180 at my Doctors appointment in November so I am moving the scale in the right direction.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #773
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I know I have a tendancy to think that I am eating fine and then I look at what I have eaten and how it adds up and go "wow" I would go so far as to say that most Americans have no idea what a true portion size is and how much they are actually eating.
One example of that I found the other day is cereals. I have a bowl of cornflakes every morning for breakfast. Nothing wrong with that - it's a reasonably healthy breakfast; when you read the box it tells you it has 180 calories in a 30g serving with 125ml of semi-skimmed milk. It suddenly occurred to me to wonder, however, how much 30g of cornflakes actually is, so I weighed it one morning - and it's about a third of the amount I'd normally been eating!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #774
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
One example of that I found the other day is cereals. I have a bowl of cornflakes every morning for breakfast. Nothing wrong with that - it's a reasonably healthy breakfast; when you read the box it tells you it has 180 calories in a 30g serving with 125ml of semi-skimmed milk. It suddenly occurred to me to wonder, however, how much 30g of cornflakes actually is, so I weighed it one morning - and it's about a third of the amount I'd normally been eating!
Small bowls might help. I added up my breakfast a little while ago - a slice of bread and butter and a glass of orange juice - 200 calories.

The tricky bit for me is not snacking during the day.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #775
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I did the same thing. I started using a smaller bowl and for a month used a measuring cup until I felt like I knew what a serving looked like. And a serving of juice is 8 ounces, the cups we use are 16 ounces. That is what I mean about portion size. I started buying the prepackaged bags of nuts and crackers and the like because at least I knew how much I was eating.

I swear, we have no sense of portion control any more.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #776
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Small bowls might help. I added up my breakfast a little while ago - a slice of bread and butter and a glass of orange juice - 200 calories.

The tricky bit for me is not snacking during the day.
Snack on veggies, low calorie and most of us need more veggies in our diet any way. A single serving of Hummus is 80 calories and works nicely as a dip for carrots and peppers. I do like the snack packs for nuts and the like as well.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #777
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I do like the snack packs for nuts and the like as well.
Me too, but nuts are horribly high in calories (cashew nuts are 150 calories for 25g, which is a very few nuts), so I try to limit the frequency of my nut consumption.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #778
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Oh my gosh! That is me. I am sitting here eating my bowl of organic wheat cereal and it is a heaping bowl!!!

Starting tomorrow I am putting 1/3 of the amount in the bowl.

Yikes.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #779
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

I agree! Invaluable is a digital scale out on the counter. I, too, was unknowlingly eating triple or quadruple servings of healthy granola for breakfast.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #780
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
In the same sense, many people forget that beverages contain (sometimes a lot) calories too. You tea-drinkers here are all okay, but if one drinks one or two beers together with dinner this will quickly add up to a whole meal (0,5 liter containing about 250 calories). This goes similarly for healthy fruit drinks too.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote