Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
GvilleBridge
Connoisseur
GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Tablet
Important warning from Calibre about firmware 2.0

Calibre has just released v0.8.60 and after installing and recognizing the KT, this warning popped up:
Quote:
Your Kobo is running an updated firmware/database version. As Calibre has not been updated, database editing is disabled. You can enable support for your Kobo in plugin preferences. Doing so may require you to perform a factory reset. Before selecting the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option you should be familiar with restoring your Kobo to factory defaults.
Indeed, the Calibre changelog for this version makes no mention of updating to handle the Kobo 2.0 firmware.

But Kobo has withdrawn 2.0 from upgrade syncing (see SameerH's post #276 at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...184373&page=19) and reverted to 1.9.17 for the time being.

In light of the Calibre warning about doing a factory reset during this unsettled time for the Kobo, it would seem as if users like me who are having serious 2.0 problems might be wise to recognize we are in limbo for--how long?

Yes, Kobo, how long? Your communication skills are really lousy:

--The FAQ/Top 10 Questions at http://kobo.intelliresponse.com/index.jsp do not really address 2.0 problems other than suggesting the fallback advice to reset.

--The blog at http://blog.kobobooks.com/) is devoted to promotion. Right now, in descending order, 50 Shades of Grey and the 7/10 announcement of the app and firmware releases.

--The most up-to-date info on dealing with 2.0 or any other current Kobo problems seem to be in this forum, but identifying official posts from helpful beta-user posts and unofficial wizard posts is more a matter of luck, as the main thread on 2.0 (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184373) now has 295 posts spread over 19 pages.

Come on, Kobo, talk to us more!

Last edited by GvilleBridge; 07-13-2012 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Inserted URL
GvilleBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Gville I'm not sure what your 2.0 problems are but why don't you try reverting your Kobo back to 1.9.17 or get an older version of Calibre?

I was able to successfully update to 2.0 and apart from the slow page turns and a bit of funny business with the sleep screen it's going ok for me. I read the pre release notes on Calibre and realised it wasn't going to work with 2.0 so I decided not to upgrade Calibre. My version of Calibre which is a few weeks old 0.8.57 works perfectly with Kobo 2.0

Good luck.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The message in calibre is nothing more than a warning; Tim added in a check on the version info in the database.

I can assure you that I have had no issues with calibre and Touch 2.0.

And in fact if anyone bothers to look at the code, it uses the exact same database update commands for 0.8.57 and the newer 0.8.58; all you have to do is enable the writing option.

Last edited by PeterT; 07-13-2012 at 06:34 PM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by GvilleBridge View Post

I challenge you to visit the other forums and find active developer interactions. Once they understood the situation they acted and told us about it.

I am quite sure their help line now is giving accurate information to people, too. Remember this is a huge issue that in truth impacted a small percentage of users.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
In light of the Calibre warning about doing a factory reset during this unsettled time for the Kobo, it would seem as if users like me who are having serious 2.0 problems might be wise to recognize we are in limbo for--how long?

In fairness to Kobo: if they say "We hope to have it fixed by 5pm EST Saturday" and it doesn't show up by then, by 5:01pm EST Saturday there will be multiple posts from people dumping all over them for being late/calling them liars etc even though they said HOPE not GUARANTEE. They have acknowledged that some people are having problems getting the update onto their Kobo and stopped it so people don't have to deal with that. They have said they are working on it. They likely don't know if this is going to take them 1 hour to fix or a number of days.
If you are still in a bricked state, then whatever new version they bring out isn't going to help you anyway, so you might as well enter the line of people at the help desk (and I feel your pain if you have to do that). If not, you're still good with 1.9.17 and if you have to wait a few more days for 2.0.0 what's the big deal? This isn't like when they had the server outage and was a major inconvenience (or major problem if it had wiped your books and you couldn't get them back).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you type "Touch 2.0" into the search box on the Kobo help page, you will see this come up on the right hand side of the results page in the related questions box:

Why can't I complete the Kobo Touch firmware upgrade or Desktop upgrade?

There are a whole bunch of search terms that return this result, btw. I assume it doesn't show as one of the top 10 questions because it isn't one.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:21 PM   #7
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I challenge you to visit the other forums and find active developer interactions. Once they understood the situation they acted and told us about it.
Active developer interactions? If I'm remembering correctly (and I haven't gone through all the threads this morning), we've gotten 10 posts from Kobo here:
  • six from MDK, two announcing the release, one asking about more information about a relatively small bug (considering), one explaining the clock changes and two trying to help sven with his bricked Touch
  • three from Samheer, one saying they were looking into the upgrade problem and asking people with bricked Touch's due to 2.0.0 to email him, one stating the pulling of the 2.0.0 release, and one not commenting on when requirements for resets with the new release
  • and one from DarrellAtKobo, republishing Kobo's blog entry on the problems with 2.0.0.
Considering that this is a serious enough problem to require the pulling of the release, this is very little interaction from Kobo people.

And there has been very little accurate or usable communication of how to recover from the upgrade bricking your Touch. If I hadn't backed up my Touch before the upgrade, I would be very, very pissed right now. And remember, this is an upgrade that the Kobo software gave no warning about, nor allowed you to opt in or out of.

Quote:
I am quite sure their help line now is giving accurate information to people, too. Remember this is a huge issue that in truth impacted a small percentage of users.
'now is giving accurate information'?
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:56 PM   #8
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Kobo acknowledges issues and works to resolve them. That is a lot more than most vendors do.

That being said, it sounds like Kobo has had some serious issues in recent months. Perhaps they need to work on their software development process in order to produce more robust software. They may also need fresh beta testers since I have suspicions that existing beta testers have modified their use of the device because of the testing process (e.g. I've seen a couple people comment that they don't load very many books on their Touch because resets are so frequent).
Old 07-14-2012, 01:19 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Resets are to be expected when testing. Why would I want to wait while 185 kepubs load when I have read all but 10?

Kobo has asked on MR for beta testers in the past and I am sure would welcome new ones. PM the Kobo staff who post here and volunteer.

We all use our devices differently, so diversity is a good thing. It's not a great role for people who are impatient and angry or who jump to conclusions rather than ask questions (see first paragraph).

I think I will find something else to do this weekend and give MR a pass.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:21 AM   #10
Phylis Sophical
Phylis Sophical began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Same problem on old version of Kobo

I received the same message when I upgraded Calibre to 8.60. My Kobo is v.1.9.17. The message was confusing being as I had upgraded Calibre and NOT upgraded Kobo.
I uninstalled Calibre and went back to v8.59 and all is working well again. Being as I never upgraded Kobo, I think there's an issue with the newest version of Calibre.

Edit to add: While running v8.60, I was unable to access the books on my Kobo. The icon for 'device' was there, but nothing showed.

Last edited by Phylis Sophical; 07-14-2012 at 01:39 AM.
Phylis Sophical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:32 AM   #11
lar3ry
Enthusiast
lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo WiFi and Kobo Touch
Quote:
Calibre has just released v0.8.60 and after installing and recognizing the KT, this warning popped up:
I got the same warning with Calibre, but I have not upgraded to 2.0. Is this a generic warning as opposed to a warning after checking the Kobo version?

Quote:
Don't hold your breath.

Last edited by lar3ry; 07-14-2012 at 02:16 AM.
lar3ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:06 AM   #12
GvilleBridge
Connoisseur
GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Tablet
Just saw a new Help message at Kobo; see it at the main 2.0 firmware thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...20#post2149520

I might even describe this as Kobo communicating with users!
GvilleBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

Remember this is a huge issue that in truth impacted a small percentage of users.
I'm curious, how many users were impacted? How many updated?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #14
nila
nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Active developer interactions? If I'm remembering correctly (and I haven't gone through all the threads this morning), we've gotten 10 posts from Kobo here:
  • six from MDK, two announcing the release, one asking about more information about a relatively small bug (considering), one explaining the clock changes and two trying to help sven with his bricked Touch
  • three from Samheer, one saying they were looking into the upgrade problem and asking people with bricked Touch's due to 2.0.0 to email him, one stating the pulling of the 2.0.0 release, and one not commenting on when requirements for resets with the new release
  • and one from DarrellAtKobo, republishing Kobo's blog entry on the problems with 2.0.0.
Considering that this is a serious enough problem to require the pulling of the release, this is very little interaction from Kobo people.

And there has been very little accurate or usable communication of how to recover from the upgrade bricking your Touch. If I hadn't backed up my Touch before the upgrade, I would be very, very pissed right now. And remember, this is an upgrade that the Kobo software gave no warning about, nor allowed you to opt in or out of.

'now is giving accurate information'?

That sounds like a pretty active line of feedback to me to be honest.
They saw complaints about the upgrade, they listened, they pulled the release and have gone back to testing.

People are having problems they gave them a DIRECT way to communicate with the guys at Kobo for support - as much as you'd love them to be posting here every 10 mins that isn't their job. They are trying to help people with actual issues by giving them a way to get help.

They have stated what they are doing to try resolve the issue.

They actively encourage real users to help test the software when they are developing it and obviously these issues didn't arise then.

I work for a software company. We make software for banks.
Sometimes we make software, test it, give it to a client and it breaks for them instantly. Does this mean we didn't test it? NO. It means they have a TOTALLY different configuration and environment with a 1000 different things on their machine than we do so it is IMPOSSIBLE, yes FULLY IMPOSSIBLE for us to test every single scenario to make sure it is fully compatible.

Did some people have problems - YES.
Do you know what was on their devices? For all you know they had corrupted books, incorrectly formatted books, they had thousands of books - it could have been anything.
It is impossible to test how something is going to work with data you dont have available.

As for giving a release date for when it would be fixed - only stupid companies did that.

A good company is going to work their ass off with the problem until they have fixed it then push it out once it has been tested.
A stupid company will give you a date then release it on that date or as near to it as possible regardless of whether it should actually be released then!
nila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #15
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
No idea and they aren't likely to release #. But lets play a theoretical game. Let's assume everyone here that posts represents 99 that don't (for easy figuring). And for easy figuring assume 100 people on here have posted about a bricked Kobo (way high I think). And let's assume that Kobo has sold 500,000 devices worldswide. That would mean 2% of users had a problem. It would seriously suck to be one of those with the issue and I would curse a bricked Kobo, but I think the numbers are why Taming is assuming it's not widespread bricking.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote