Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #16
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post

I have to point out that I have no problem reading these files on my other readers.

Luck;
Ken
Story of my life.

I would like to suggest that if you are looking for a problem file you mark all of the non problem ones and take them off, then you won't have to process all of them along with the others.

If I put books on using calibre the Aura seems to only process the added ones, judging by the time it takes, but I could be wrong there.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:33 PM   #17
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
On all Kobo's I have worked with, once an ePub has been copied to the device, it is processed only once (at least, only once until the book is dropped; any re-adds of it will re-process the book).

My experience though has been with main-memory; not SD cards. Somewhere I do have a micro SD card but it's been AWOL for some time now. Maybe tis the time to get a new one and try some more experiments.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:26 AM   #18
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
OK, after removing all but .epub, .pdb, and .txt files, as well as many whole folders, the processing completed so that the home page would stay up. But there are a number of issues. I had to bring it down to 5051 files, 2.1GB on the SD (per windows). Device Information, Micro SD: 12736MB of 14748MB (2012MB used, close enough) BUT the library is only showing 763 ebooks.

I can start adding back folders to see which contain files that Kobo can't process. It looks to be a long term process.

I have to point out that I have no problem reading these files on my other readers.
When you find the book, can I have a look it? I'd like to see if I can work out what is wrong. At the least, running epubcheck against it should be interesting. And I'll see what I can do about getting it to Kobo.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:33 AM   #19
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
On all Kobo's I have worked with, once an ePub has been copied to the device, it is processed only once (at least, only once until the book is dropped; any re-adds of it will re-process the book).

My experience though has been with main-memory; not SD cards. Somewhere I do have a micro SD card but it's been AWOL for some time now. Maybe tis the time to get a new one and try some more experiments.
Peter is right, but just so that people know the rules:
  • A book is processed the first time it is seen and added to the library
  • If the book is changes size, then:
    • If it is in the main memory, then all traces of the book are removed from the library and device.
    • If it is on the SD card, the book is removed from the library but is added as a new book during the processing phase

The above is how it has worked since at least FW 2.2.0. It worked differently with earlier firmware.

Calibre handles this when resend a book. The files size is updated in the database. This works fine if the changes are simple things like spelling and styles. But, if the structure changes, there can be problems. The most likely problem is that navigation and bookmarks won't work. But, in at least one firmware version, it caused the device to restart.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:41 PM   #20
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
David I am curious. If you turn your Aura off completely to power off mode. How long does it take to come back up? Mine takes quite a few mins I meant to time it but forgot to this morning but it seems to be about 5 mins to boot with the USD card in . Just curious if you have the same issue. Its instant if its sleeping.
I do see a delay booting with an uSD card inserted. It was much worse with 2.5x but I still notice a delay with 2.6.1b. Swapping the uSD card for one that Crystal DiskMark indicated as having the best small block read/write times helped with 2.5.x to reduce the times from the 15+ minute range.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:45 PM   #21
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
OK, after removing all but .epub, .pdb, and .txt files, as well as many whole folders, the processing completed so that the home page would stay up. But there are a number of issues. I had to bring it down to 5051 files, 2.1GB on the SD (per windows). Device Information, Micro SD: 12736MB of 14748MB (2012MB used, close enough) BUT the library is only showing 763 ebooks.

I can start adding back folders to see which contain files that Kobo can't process. It looks to be a long term process.

For each epub on the Aura, you would show 4 files (the epub and the 3 image files), any books that have been processed would leave their 3 images in the image directory. From your numbers, you would be likely to have quite a few extra files in the images directory.

Regards,
David
Old 07-07-2013, 01:56 AM   #22
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
OK, after removing all but .epub, .pdb, and .txt files, as well as many whole folders, the processing completed so that the home page would stay up.
Not absolutely certain but as far as I recall, Kobo ereaders do not handle .pdb format ebooks. Should that have been .pdf?

Regards,
David
Old 07-07-2013, 01:59 AM   #23
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Well, not to be curmudgeonly, but I have to agree with Ken -Kobo error handling feedback to the user SUCKS! I can't believe it would be a big deal to display the currently processing filename, or change the code so it doesn't get stuck and displays a list, or at least a message when done advising the user to check a log of the files which could not be processed.

This stuff may not be Programming 101, but anyone qualified to work on any commercial product should understand the importance of error handling. This problem has existed waaaaay too long.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:46 AM   #24
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Well, not to be curmudgeonly, but I have to agree with Ken -Kobo error handling feedback to the user SUCKS! I can't believe it would be a big deal to display the currently processing filename, or change the code so it doesn't get stuck and displays a list, or at least a message when done advising the user to check a log of the files which could not be processed.

This stuff may not be Programming 101, but anyone qualified to work on any commercial product should understand the importance of error handling. This problem has existed waaaaay too long.
Curmudgeon away by all means.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:27 AM   #25
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I guess I can see the other side of it too, why spend time/resources on side loading functions when your bread and butter will come from book sales and processing your own (carefully checked?)content? The best answer I can come up with is Consistency and that it's just the right thing to do. If you're going to do something, do it right.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #26
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
I guess I can see the other side of it too, why spend time/resources on side loading functions when your bread and butter will come from book sales and processing your own (carefully checked?)content? The best answer I can come up with is Consistency and that it's just the right thing to do. If you're going to do something, do it right.
Perhaps they are ASSuming that any epubs copied to the device will already have been run through a validation process. One friend of mine had issues with a couple of sites where her epubs were not accepted until they made it through epubcheck. Some of the changes needed were minor, others such as her cover images and illustrations were more of a pain.

Regards,
David
Old 07-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #27
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Not absolutely certain but as far as I recall, Kobo ereaders do not handle .pdb format ebooks. Should that have been .pdf?

Regards,
David
The .pdb files are apparently not bothering the Kobo ereader, in that they are not effecting the "processing", except perhaps that they are not added to the database. They do not appear in the Library "Books" listing. This could explain why my 8000+ ebooks in the SD files reduced to ~5000 (to pass the Processing stage) only appears as 768 on my Kobo while it is running the Kobo reading software.

They do appear in the KoReader port and are supported with no problems.

By the way the KoReader has made some great strides today with the accomplishments of MR posters, improving a number of features. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=216960

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 07-07-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote