Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-03-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
bigand101
bigand101 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
newbie q's not covered elsewhere (AFAIK)

Hi all,
new to Kindle and Mobileread. I am based outside of the US but want to read books only available to US customers. I've understood the US Address / Gift card approach and am happy that will work fine. I still have a few questions though:

1. If I buy US only Kindle books and then read them on my Kindle iPhone app, will that trigger to Amazon that I am outside the US?

2. Will annotations / highlights feature still be available on kindle.amazon.com if I keep whispernet switched off? (i.e. can it still sync through my computer / home internet?)

3. Would there be any advantage in having to Amazon.com accounts - one with my true country in to read all books which ARE available to my country, and another US account only for US-only books?

4. Is it possible / advisable to run two separate Amazon accounts and register / de-register on a regular basis? Potential advantage of this is the online connectivity / ability to buy books via whispernet when these are available in my country, but still maintain a 'clean' US-only account for books only available in US to download via computer.

Hope those Q's make sense. This is a great forum. Thanks.

Andy
bigand101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:01 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I don't know the answers to all your questions, but these are the ones I do.

2) No. Syncing requires Whispernet, as does annotation/highlight backup. You can extract your annotations using the free MBP reader perl script, which will export them to plain text. Only for Mobipocket-format files, but also usable on highlights from those non-Amazon-bought books which Amazon won't bother backing up for you.

3) Yes. People seem to get dinged for switching back and forth too often, or not having the pieces of their "story" match. It's probably best to begin as you mean to go on, and keep up the façade utterly once you've got it in place.

Always use a US-IP proxy, use a completely different email address to register your secondary account, use the "Transfer via Computer" download option when buying rather than receiving your books via Whispernet (or just keep Kindle for PC as your default device [they show up in the 1-click options in alphabetical order], sync for new books with the proxy on, and strip the DRM before you load up your books on the actual Kindle).

3) Yes. I have another account now. The original one is for my main non-ebook Amazon stuff, and there's a newer one which I wish I'd established sooner, which is just for the sheer volume of free promotional books they offer, which were starting to screw up my recommendations (lots of stuff in genres I don't typically read or care about, but hey, free is free!) and cluttering my "Manage Your Kindle" page.

Actually, all things considered, if you're on Windows I'd say set up Kindle for PC as the only device on the other account, do as per 3) above, and never bother switching between them.

Safer all around, perhaps.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by ATDrake; 07-03-2010 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Remove redundant redundancy.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
kindle, newbie, non-us