Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-07-2010, 12:26 AM   #1
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Arrow Best 3 books lately?

What are the best three books (any medium) you've read this year so far (written by someone else)? My favorites:
BEAT THE REAPER by Josh Bazell
THE LOCK ARTIST by Steve Hamilton
A BEAUTIFUL PLACE TO DIE by Malla Nunn

All three at one point made me wish I had written them.
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:52 AM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Too many books/authors I love to even pick a favorite or 50.
Currently reading
The Coroner's Lunch - Colin Cotterill
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
Trebro
Connoisseur
Trebro began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Hmm....good question!
I'd say

Man in the High Castle by Philip K Dick
Under the Banner of Heaven by John Krakauer
Boston Noir edited by Dennis Lehane
Trebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Eyes Like Sky and Coal and Moonlight by Cat Rambo
At Empire's Edge by William Dietz
Wolf Hall by Hillary Mantel
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:59 AM   #5
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I'd have to say the Promises to Keep quartet by Shayne Parkinson, which I reviewed here, A Savage Conflict: The Decisive Role of Guerillas in the American Civil War by Daniel E. Sutherland (which I will be reviewing later this week or early next week at my blog), and Trials of the Diaspora: A History of Anti-Semitism in England by Anthony Julius, which I am currently reading.

An interesting book, but not one of the best I have read, is Eric Nelson’s The Hebrew Republic: Jewish Sources and the Transformation of European Political Thought, which I reviewed today on my blog.

A book to avoid is Robin Hobbs' new release Dragon Haven, which is the followup to Dragon Keeper in her new Rain Wilders series. both books in the series are major disappointments (I will be reviewing them on my blog in the next week or so).
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 09:02 PM   #6
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Can't think of three

However, the best book I've read in the last FIVE years is finally available as an e-book. The Woman Who Pretended To Be Who She Was, by Wendy Doniger. Fascinating, can't-put-down stuff that taught me a lot about myself--which, based on the book's subject matter, really surprised me.

Of course, it's a little discouraging that the dead-tree version can be purchased for under two bucks while the electronic edition is $17.50, but that's a different debate.

Last edited by curtw; 06-07-2010 at 10:21 PM.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:21 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J. Sellers View Post
you've read this year so far
Too many books/authors I love to even pick a favorite or 50.
Wow you've read over 50 this year. I'm impressed I'm only up to 38 thus far.

I'm on a Urban Fantasy binge this year so the top books I've read this year are.

Moon Sworn by Keri Arthur
Changes by Jim Butcher
Bitten by Kelley Armstrong
Black Magic Sanction by Kim Harrison

All of these books/series are a fun read.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-08-2010 at 02:23 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:00 AM   #8
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Shayne Parkinsons novels..

Thin Blood by Vicky Tyley... and Final Passage by Tim Frost...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:44 AM   #9
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Two books that really grabbed me, with me knowing absolutely nothing about them or the authors beforehand (perhaps to my shame) were:

Kindred by Octavia E Butler and
The Awakening by Kate Chopin (a freebie on my Sony).

A book I re-read (yet again) and is my choice as the greatest book of the 20th Century was 1984 by George Orwell.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:36 PM   #10
Greenkeeper
Connoisseur
Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The Gathering Storm - Robert Jordan/Branden Sanderson
The Black Company - Glenn Cook
The Wizard of Oz - L.F. Baum

A new author in an established epic fantasy, the start of a new epic fantasy, and a classic fantasy. I'm so diverse.
Greenkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:04 AM   #11
divineAngel
divineAngel began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook Neo
i'd say:

1. The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
2. Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane
3. The Brain That Changes Itself by Norman Doidge

I know the last one is a non-fiction but it really is a truly amazing book.
divineAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #12
cmr
cmr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Heart of Darkness
A Confederacy of Dunces
Lolita
cmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:25 PM   #13
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
1. Changes by Jim Butcher
2. Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts
3. The Name Of The Rose by Umberto Eco.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:09 AM   #14
sbaum4853
YA Fantasy Author
sbaum4853 is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle
Underworld by Don Delillo
Chronic City by Jonathan Franzen
sbaum4853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:16 AM   #15
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I'd have to say:

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (+ the other two in the series)- Stieg Larsson
The Greatest Show on Earth - Richard Dawkins
The Know-it-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World - AA Jacobs
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
favorite books, favorites, recent reads