Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-29-2010, 08:33 AM   #31
ray-reid
ray-reid began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone (Kindle)
Rollercoaster

It's not quite first contact sci fi but I would (always) recommend the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov - from what you've said I think you'll enjoy the series. It is, IMHO, one of the greatest sci fi masterpieces ever written.

Another series I'll recommend are the Eric Van Lustbadder's fanasy novels - there is a trilogy (not sure what the collective name is) comprising the Ring of Five Dragons, a Veil of a Thousand Tears and Mistress of the Veil. Be warned, they are quitre challenging to read at times, but they are also brilliant. They concern the invasion of one planet by a group of aliens - it's a bit like a sci fi version of the colonization of the Americas. Not that many people have read these books, but they are worth it.
ray-reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:11 AM   #32
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray-reid View Post
It's not quite first contact sci fi but I would (always) recommend the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov - from what you've said I think you'll enjoy the series. It is, IMHO, one of the greatest sci fi masterpieces ever written.
Just curious, exactly what books are you recommending. Personally I know the first three published were a great read.

Foundation (1951)
Foundation and Empire (1952)
Second Foundation (1953)

The next book wasn't written until 1982 and I wonder how successful the merge with the original trilogy was.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2010, 09:25 AM   #33
ray-reid

Quote:
Just curious, exactly what books are you recommending. Personally I know the first three published were a great read.

Foundation (1951)
Foundation and Empire (1952)
Second Foundation (1953)

The next book wasn't written until 1982 and I wonder how successful the merge with the original trilogy was.
Hi Dwanthy - great to meet another Foundation fan!

I am recommending the five main books in the series - the original trilogy plus the much later sequels. I know some don't like the last two books, but they do - IMO - offer a better narrative in terms of character development, etc. I understand why some don't enjoy them as much as there is a big change of pace from having three generations of characters in one book suddenly transformed into the same set of characters for the last two. By personally, I don't think the first three really tell the completed story. That said the finale in the final book isn't amazing either, but I did feel that after having read all five I had read the complete saga, as it were. Also, it was the latter books, particuarly the last, that I felt were most suited to this thread.

I take it your not a fan of books 4 and 5? In haven't read the prequels yet so I cannot comment on them...yet
Old 04-29-2010, 09:37 AM   #34
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray-reid View Post
I take it your not a fan of books 4 and 5? In haven't read the prequels yet so I cannot comment on them...yet
I only read the first three (which were excellent). Foundation's Edge (1982) did win the Hugo for best Sci-Fi novel and if I get around to reading the series again it was on my list. I guess if that goes well I'll have to add Foundation and Earth (1983) too.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:29 AM   #35
rollercoaster
Zealot
rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
@ray-reid thanks. the Foundation series in already in my reading list. I have a whole lot of book in my list and I am overwhelmed but very very happy about it.

currently reading Ender's Game Series (Shadow of the Hegemon) and Sector General Series (Star Surgeon) and Dune Series (Children of Dune) so i have to wait a bit to get into Foundation series

am i weird?
rollercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2010, 12:54 PM   #36
ray-reid

Quote:
I only read the first three (which were excellent). Foundation's Edge (1982) did win the Hugo for best Sci-Fi novel and if I get around to reading the series again it was on my list. I guess if that goes well I'll have to add Foundation and Earth (1983) too.
In that case you should definately re-read the series, including the last two - if you do, don't read book four and not book five - they are basically two halves of the same story

@ Rollercoaster - not at all, that sounds like a great reading list. I absolutely ADORE the Dune series - for our first wedding anniversary a couple of years back my wife got me first editions of the last three Frank Herbert Dune novels (God Emperor, Heretics and Chapterhouse). Dune is probably my favourite novel of all time. Also, Herbert and Asimov were friends and though their works were very different an idea or concept from one occassionally crossed over into the other. Happily, the first three Foundation novels are short and shouldn't take you too long to get through
Old 08-05-2010, 10:13 AM   #37
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Transfigurations by Michael Bishop

and

Alien Cradle by Jeff Inlo (jinlo on these forums)

Both are excellent first contact books.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:13 PM   #38
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
My favorites of this type are indeed the Vernor Vinge you reference and

Arthur C. Clark's - Rendezvous With Rama (I'm sure that's ebooked) Hugo Award

Frederik Pohl's - Gateway, Hugo Award

David Brin's - Startide Rising (no idea if ebooked) Hugo Award

and

C.J. Cherryh's - The Pride of Chanur (ebook version on her website I think) Hugo nominee

edit: I'm wrong, The Pride of Chanur is still in the publisher's domain and not available as an ebook. What it's about is: from an alien species point of view, first contact with the (Earth Company part of the Company/Alliance/Union universe) humans. Just tremendous -- If you pursue it in paper form, be aware that Pride is a standalone book, the next 3 - Venture, Kif and Homecoming are really one long book. Someone published Pride, Venture and Kif together in an omnibus without her approval which left the story hanging practically in mid sentence, back around 2000. Be wary of that paperback. Personally, I like the high quality Phantasia Press imprint of the Chanur books which can be had for like 10-15 bucks on Ebay or abebooks.com. But you can also find 'em for a buck somewhere in paperback.

On her website are "Heavy Time" and "Hellburner", the first two Company Wars books which are somewhat related later to the Chanur books. Heavy Time is one of my favorite books by her and while not "alien first contact", it is the beginning of a long, related, group of standalone books about contact between 1) Earth (Company), 2) the Merchanter Alliance and 3) Union, those original colonists who are now so far away from Earth they have become a separate .... culture in the galaxy.

Last edited by wayspooled; 08-06-2010 at 06:33 AM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:52 AM   #39
dworth
Zealot
dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle pc
Another vote for the Culture novels by Iain M. Banks. The man has a staggering imagination, a great sense of humour and he writes beautifully. The US versions used to have terrible covers straight out of the 1970s, though they seem to have been brought in line with the British editions now.

Alastair Reynolds, in particular his Revelation Space series, is very good if you're into 'harder' sci-fi. He used to work for the ESA and all his books contain at least semi-plausible interstellar space travel (no warp drives) and incorporates the travel time involved (and the time dilation effects of travelling at 90% of C) into his plots.

Joe Haldeman's Forever War is also good, though it does fall more into the military sci-fi bracket. The author based it upon his Vietnam experiences and the book describes a protracted, largely unexplained war against an unknowable race of aliens. The hero eventually comes home to find that he's completely alienated from his own society and that no-one knows or cares much about his experience.

Shameless plug time: My own sci-fi novel, Exiles, would fall into this genre as well. Currently available on Amazon US, UK and Smashwords.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003UYUWE2
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003UYUWE2
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/18959
dworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:36 AM   #40
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
My favorites of this type are indeed the Vernor Vinge you reference and

Arthur C. Clark's - Rendezvous With Rama (I'm sure that's ebooked) Hugo Award

Frederik Pohl's - Gateway, Hugo Award

David Brin's - Startide Rising (no idea if ebooked) Hugo Award

and

C.J. Cherryh's - The Pride of Chanur (ebook version on her website I think) Hugo nominee

edit: I'm wrong, The Pride of Chanur is still in the publisher's domain and not available as an ebook. What it's about is: from an alien species point of view, first contact with the (Earth Company part of the Company/Alliance/Union universe) humans. Just tremendous -- If you pursue it in paper form, be aware that Pride is a standalone book, the next 3 - Venture, Kif and Homecoming are really one long book. Someone published Pride, Venture and Kif together in an omnibus without her approval which left the story hanging practically in mid sentence, back around 2000. Be wary of that paperback. Personally, I like the high quality Phantasia Press imprint of the Chanur books which can be had for like 10-15 bucks on Ebay or abebooks.com. But you can also find 'em for a buck somewhere in paperback.

On her website are "Heavy Time" and "Hellburner", the first two Company Wars books which are somewhat related later to the Chanur books. Heavy Time is one of my favorite books by her and while not "alien first contact", it is the beginning of a long, related, group of standalone books about contact between 1) Earth (Company), 2) the Merchanter Alliance and 3) Union, those original colonists who are now so far away from Earth they have become a separate .... culture in the galaxy.
I love Orson Scott Card's first two Ender's books. and the Foundation trilogy. Should have included those with my initial/edited post. And here's a vote for Jeffrey Carver's referenced "Neptune Crossing". I enjoyed it very much.

Last edited by wayspooled; 08-06-2010 at 06:39 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:06 PM   #41
dworth
Zealot
dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle pc
I've downloaded Neptune Crossing. Should keep me occupied next week
dworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:10 PM   #42
greencat
Freebie finder
greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony, Kindle
If you can find it - Memoirs of a Spacewoman by Naomi Mitchison is a wonderfully sensual series of vignettes of first contact.

Another +1 for Contact by Carl Sagan. Watched the movie again on blu-ray the other day - it's a good hollywoodisation of a great book.
greencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:31 PM   #43
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
For some reason this first contact book came to mind last night:

http://www.amazon.com/Alien-Years-Ro.../dp/006105111X

http://www.majipoor.com/work.php?id=20

http://books.google.com/books?id=d6-...page&q&f=false

Out of print, but plenty of used copies available. No official ebook, it is "out there."
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:57 AM   #44
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark

A link I came across about alien related sci-fi. Thought it might be interesting to those in this thread
http://www.bookthink.com/0023/23ali.htm
Old 08-20-2010, 07:05 AM   #45
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Oh! Seeing some of those old covers made me think of this classic: The Jupiter Theft.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first contact, science fiction, suggest, verner vinge