Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-11-2010, 12:35 PM   #16
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Nitpick: What is popularly know as "the viking age" is in fact the late iron age of Scandinavia.The end of the viking age roughly marks the beginning of the Scandinavian middle ages.

A list of Viking themed fiction:
http://vikinganswerlady.com/VikingThemedNovels.shtml

Some general historical information that might be useful:
http://vikinganswerlady.com/VALGeneralInformation.shtml
Nitpick: The original poster didn't ask about the Scandinavian middle ages, he asked about the stories set in the medieval era (i.e., the European Middle Ages) told from a viking point of view. While the Scandinavian Middle ages might have started at the end of the Viking Age, the European Middle Ages certainly includes the "Viking Age". The very latest I generally have seen as a start date for the Middle Ages is the rise of the Carolingian Empire in the 8th century, and some historians date it back into the Dark Ages immediately following the fall of the Western Empire.

Now a better question is, what does the poster mean by viking? Does he take the broader view that a viking is essentially any Scandinavian of the period, or the more narrow definition that limits the vikings only to those specific Scandinavians who went raiding.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #17
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Hi all,
My brother-in-law and I like to read historical fiction. We've recently read "The Last King" and "Ten Thousand" by Michael Curtis Ford. Both excellent reads both took place in the Roman era. The former was a Prussian king who resisted Rome the latter is about Rome

Now we're looking for historical books that took place in the Medieval era where the focus is on a Viking point of view.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in Advance,
=X=
I don't know if the book is any good, but there is this book on smashwords that seems to fulfill your request and it has the virtue of being free .

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/5698

--
Bill
Advert
Old 03-11-2010, 12:58 PM   #18
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Nitpick: The original poster didn't ask about the Scandinavian middle ages, he asked about the stories set in the medieval era (i.e., the European Middle Ages) told from a viking point of view. While the Scandinavian Middle ages might have started at the end of the Viking Age, the European Middle Ages certainly includes the "Viking Age". The very latest I generally have seen as a start date for the Middle Ages is the rise of the Carolingian Empire in the 8th century, and some historians date it back into the Dark Ages immediately following the fall of the Western Empire.

Now a better question is, what does the poster mean by viking? Does he take the broader view that a viking is essentially any Scandinavian of the period, or the more narrow definition that limits the vikings only to those specific Scandinavians who went raiding.

--
Bill
You win! I guess it's because I'm Danish, that when the middle ages is mentioned, I always automatically think 11th+ century. So viking + middle ages = ???

I don't think we should go into the question of the definition of a viking Most people mean 'everyone scandinavian' at that time anyway
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:12 PM   #19
bill_mchale
Wizard

Well the Middle ages had several phases. The 11th plus century is to me the High Middle Ages. But many of the basic features that we think of as being Medieval are falling into place well before then.

I think though, you can very much argue though that outside of the regions of Iberia, France and Germany, that other countries did not really enter the middle ages until later. Certainly England underwent a dramatic transition following the Norman Conquest, and Scandanavia even more dramatic as it became Christianized.

--
Bill
Old 03-12-2010, 02:33 AM   #20
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
OT

Read heads are direct descendants of the Vikings...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 11:14 AM   #21
bill_mchale
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
No offense but no, they are not, at least not necessarily. Ancient writers including Homer, Tacitus and Herodotus all make mention of people with red hair centuries before the Vikings. Further, the highest concentration of people with Red Hair are found in Scotland and Ireland. If the Vikings were the sole reason other Europeans had red hair, we would expect that lands the Vikings came from should still have the highest concentration of red heads. Since the Scandinavian countries have a lower concentration of red heads than Ireland and Scotland, it would seem to suggest that Scandinavia is not the source of all red hair.

--
Bill
Old 03-12-2010, 11:37 AM   #22
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No offense but no, they are not, at least not necessarily. Ancient writers including Homer, Tacitus and Herodotus all make mention of people with red hair centuries before the Vikings. Further, the highest concentration of people with Red Hair are found in Scotland and Ireland. If the Vikings were the sole reason other Europeans had red hair, we would expect that lands the Vikings came from should still have the highest concentration of red heads. Since the Scandinavian countries have a lower concentration of red heads than Ireland and Scotland, it would seem to suggest that Scandinavia is not the source of all red hair.

--
Bill
Actually I've recently read something to the - not quite contrary - but that the idea that the highest concentration of red-haired people are in Scotland and Ireland - the red-haired celt - is something of a myth, and that the number of red haired people are fairly evenly distributed all over Northern Europe. Unfortunately I can't remember the source anymore.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:19 PM   #23
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Hi All thanks for the responses and suggestions I've already picked up a few books.

Quote:
Hi Bill, my lack of knowledge on the subject matter disabled me from asking the correct question as to what I was looking for, I think your response does help me refine my inquiry. (note the bold emphasis is mine)

What I was asking for was the Viking Era told with a perspective of a Scandinavian Raider, but I would be open to any Scandinavian setting so long as the story was good.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:11 PM   #24
bill_mchale
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Actually I've recently read something to the - not quite contrary - but that the idea that the highest concentration of red-haired people are in Scotland and Ireland - the red-haired celt - is something of a myth, and that the number of red haired people are fairly evenly distributed all over Northern Europe. Unfortunately I can't remember the source anymore.
As for the current distribution, I just used wikipedia, so I will admit that my info there might be a little out of true, but even there, neither the Scots nor the Irish hit much above 10% while the general European range was 3-6%. So while it might be somewhat more common amongst the Gaelic people's it certainly would not be overwhelming. I would point out that since outside of Scandinavia, Greece and Italy, the celts basically had inhabited most of Europe prior to the Germans, therefore, most Europeans today almost certainly have some celtic blood in them .

But for the historical sources, I remember the Roman ones from my college latin classes.

--
Bill
Old 08-25-2010, 01:39 PM   #25
TrooBlood
TrooBlood began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Sorry for the very late reply. I am a huge fan of Viking age fiction. I've read just about every one of them I think. The Cornwell Saxon Series are worth the effort and Viking sagas written by the Icelanders are also good reads. I recently read this novel, which takes place in England in the 900s. Its about as hardcore historical Viking fiction as you will ever read. Not only was I riveted by the story but I got a good history lesson out of it. I got the e-book version through the publisher but liked it so much I bought a hard copy through them as well!

http://booklocker.com/books/4631.html

TrooBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:16 PM   #26
Ea
Wizard

Thanks for the suggestion. It's never too late to post about good books It looks interesting. If they have a book sample I will definitely give it a try.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:27 PM   #27
shall1028
Nameless Being

Harry Harrison alternate Viking history

More Harry Harrison: The Hammer and the Cross series

In collaboration with "John Holm", a pseudonym of Tom Shippey.
  1. The Hammer and the Cross (1993)
  2. One King's Way (1995)
  3. King and Emperor (1997)

An alternate history series set during the time of the Viking invasions into Saxon Britain.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:58 PM   #28
TrooBlood
TrooBlood began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I found a trailer video for the aforementioned book:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr5ZexBpI4s

Another great anthology is the Robert Lowe 'Whale Road' series, which I believe are still ongoing. Also, though it predates the traditional Viking Age by about 300 years, the Bernard Cornwell Arthurian books are great. Winter King is among my favorites.
TrooBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:50 PM   #29
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
One series that I like, but might be a bit difficult to find now is Poul Anderson's Harald Hardrada trilogy, i.e. The Last Viking. It's about the Harald Hardrada, the Viking king who was defeated by Harold of England in 1066, paving the way for the William the Conquerer's invasion of England a week later.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:08 AM   #30
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
"Read heads" not "Red heads"

it's a joke
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote