Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-23-2010, 04:39 PM   #61
Gatecra5her
Enthusiast
Gatecra5her began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
UserSmart - You have exactly the same issue as me! Except I have no proof of purchase as it was paid for with cash and my GF has lost the receipt, only ourselves to blame for that error

Since you have proof of purchase, follow gwynevans' advice and bring up the sales of goods act with Waterstones. See my letter i quoted above...well it doesn't really apply to Sony, it applies to the retailer who are Waterstones. I'm very sorry this happened to you, but I'm relieved to hear my case isn't a one off!! Please keep us informed, I'd really like to know how you get on.

Mark
Gatecra5her is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:00 PM   #62
CarlosMac
CarlosMac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Usersmart - I have been into waterstones today and they exchanged without question see my previous post - may just be I got lucky but seems odd that there would be differences across company procedures
CarlosMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2010, 04:23 AM   #63
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserSmart View Post
Hi, I bought a Sony PRS 600 eReader just after Christmas 2009 and had to take it straight back to WaterStones as it did not work at all. The second one lasted a month and when turning a page, part of the previous page stuck on the screen. Whenever you look at a page all you can see at the top of the screen is part of the original page. I returned it to Waterstones who sent it on to Sony after ascertaining that there was no physical damage to the unit in terms of scratches, dents etc. Sony Central Service send me a bill for £200 plus quoting physical damage. I query it, they send me a photograph, showing me a picture of the screen with the artifact showing and tell me it is physically damaged. I argue the case and they send me off to another number, who then send me back to Sony Central Service to take it up with them. Now I usually buy Sony products, good quality etc. but obviously no more. Is there a Consumer Service that I can complain to, or should I just go straight to a solicitor? I bought it using my debit card, but I dont know if you get the same protection as using a credit card. Any advice would be appreciatied. Thanks.
Can you upload the picture here, so we can see what it looks like? If it's a fractured substrate, then you will not be covered by warranty.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:53 PM   #64
conundrum
Enthusiast
conundrum began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
Update.
Took my reader apart (had damage to the pen holder and casing) and lo and behold same stupid design with screws very close to the backplane.
I did notice that they put plastic supports behind the screen this time, perhaps this helped?

As a side note, this seems to be a weak point as the battery is pretty heavy and upon impact is likely to force the screws against the glass, causing fracture.

methinks a free replacement would be in order if this is indeed the case.
-A
conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #65
raac
Zealot
raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950
I too was going to suggest the sale of goods act. *This will even work if the product is out of the guarantee period, since this period is not related to your statutory rights. * Gatecra5her, try it without the receipt. Dig up a bank or credit card statement.

I'm living in the US right now. Does anybody know if there is an equivalent to the sale of goods act in the US? I suspect not because I've been screwed by retailers in the past. They just show you the door if your product has failed in >3 months and you haven't paid them for an "extended warranty." As a consequence, when an item has broken within a few months, I've heard of people going back to the store to buy it a second time. Then returning home, placing the broken one into the new box, and returning it...

Last edited by raac; 03-28-2010 at 10:35 AM.
raac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2010, 08:33 AM   #66
lost inciberspac
lost inciberspac began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
uk warranty.
Hi There. I'm new to this site and to the Sony Ereader PRS- 600. Bought it at Heathrow, on my way home to Australia yesterday. I've followed the book and charge it overnight. the red light went out, so I opened the reader. He welcome screen comes on and NOTHING else. It also suggests on the opening page to "tap anywhere to see its features" all this does is send out a screen saying "calibration error". PLEASE help me to set this reader up with step by step instructions as so many of your replies clealry have much more experience than I do
cheers
lost inciberspac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:39 PM   #67
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Have you calibrated the touchscreen by tapping on the crosses that appear with your stylus?
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:28 PM   #68
lost inciberspac
lost inciberspac began at the beginning.

UK warranty/new product PRS-600

THanks for your reply. Yes, I've tapped on all of the crosses and still no further advanced. This morning having left it charging all night. I tried again,nothing. I've now left it, after a rest, with the yellow light flashing (I understand this means it's trying to boot?). I have looked at the Sony "help" and they don't appear to have the 600 manual listed. I did note that the 500 has a CD rom, this was wit my product... could this be missing?
All replies gratefully received
cheers
lost inciberspac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:40 PM   #69
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
You can download the manual from this page: http://support.sony-europe.com/compu...n_GB&m=PRS-600

I suggest you start a new thread with your problem so that more people will see it and hopefully offer useful suggestions.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:17 PM   #70
NSqirrel
Enthusiast
NSqirrel began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost inciberspac View Post
uk warranty....
Have you tried the reset button? (The small hole on bottom edge; needs a straightened paperclip or similar.)

Edit: 1. BTW, both user and service manuals are available on line via Google.
2. It has been suggested that pressing the reset several times may help!

Last edited by NSqirrel; 04-16-2010 at 03:24 PM. Reason: additional info.
NSqirrel is offline   Reply With Quote