Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-25-2010, 04:27 PM   #31
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
This is good news! Keep us posted!
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:15 AM   #32
roger the rabbit
Addict
roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T3, 650 Black, 505, Kobo Glo HD Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatecra5her View Post
Hi guys, just a quick update.

I phoned trading standards today and they advised me that due to the Sales of Goods act, they are under a Burden of Proof to 100% prove that the damaged caused was due to me. If they cannot do this (there's no way they can, because it wasn't me!) then they, by law, must provide me with a refund, repair or replacement at no cost to myself.

I think this applies to Waterstones though, not Sony. The problem being I do not have the receipt! However, trading standards says as long as there is a witness to the purchase (there are several) then that is good enough...plus I'm assuming there should be some form of tracking system with batches and serial numbers of the readers, so they'd know it was bought from Waterstones - Sony confirmed this themselves!

I will write a letter to Sony regarding the advice from trading standards and post their reply!
If you choose to deal directly with Sony you may well loose your rights against Waterstones under the sale of goods act. You should deal only with Waterstones & make it clear you are claiming against them in accordance with the sale of goods act.

Download the form letters from the BBC as mentioned by others. They are very clear and useful.

How did you pay for it? unless it was cash you will have a receipt/record of the transaction surely?
roger the rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2010, 11:53 AM   #33
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
Even though I own 3 Sony readers and have always recieved excellent service I am appalled at the service you have been rendered. Maybe our economy is so bad that they hire ignorant sales reps that don't have a empathetic/sympathetic bone in their body. Everybody needs jobs, right?

I really, really hope that if you do not see your problem resolved you do NOT buy another Sony!!!!! I wouldn't buy another Sony for the rest of my life if the situation was reversed.
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:05 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Hi guys, just a quick update.

I phoned trading standards today and they advised me that due to the Sales of Goods act, they are under a Burden of Proof to 100% prove that the damaged caused was due to me. If they cannot do this (there's no way they can, because it wasn't me!) then they, by law, must provide me with a refund, repair or replacement at no cost to myself.

I think this applies to Waterstones though, not Sony. The problem being I do not have the receipt! However, trading standards says as long as there is a witness to the purchase (there are several) then that is good enough...plus I'm assuming there should be some form of tracking system with batches and serial numbers of the readers, so they'd know it was bought from Waterstones - Sony confirmed this themselves!

I will write a letter to Sony regarding the advice from trading standards and post their reply!
If you paid by credit card or bank card, then you have a paper trail even without the receipt.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:59 PM   #35
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you paid by credit card or bank card, then you have a paper trail even without the receipt.
He didn't; his girlfriend paid by cash
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2010, 06:39 PM   #36
Gatecra5her
Enthusiast
Gatecra5her began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Yeah my girlfriend paid cash for it and there's no receipt. But Sony confirmed proof of purchase when I told them the date and place of purchase, so it's definitely on record somewhere!

emonti: I understand what you mean, I really shouldn't buy anything Sony again - but I know I will, and what's worse is I'll always buy the accidental damage warranty now incase anything of this nature happens again. This way I'll be covered no matter if they accuse me of the damage or not! They make some fantastic products, unfortunately!

I am however looking for an alternative reader to buy, one that will hopefully match the feel of the 600.
Gatecra5her is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:23 AM   #37
roger the rabbit
Addict
roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T3, 650 Black, 505, Kobo Glo HD Aura ONE
Gatecra5er perhaps you should try this!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1254086/Comet-surrenders-picketing-pensioners-faulty-laptop.html
roger the rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:00 AM   #38
Gatecra5her
Enthusiast

Wow Roger that is amazing! I'm so glad they won!
Old 02-28-2010, 04:17 AM   #39
NSqirrel
Enthusiast
NSqirrel began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
...Sony say unless I can 100% prove that it's never been nudged or dropped then I'll be charged...
I would like Sony to prove that the reader was not damaged in any way from factory to being bought.

Sony appear very short sighted. It must cost them far less than £219 to manufacture and sell, yet their UK dept. is doing its very best to damage their reputation in a forum where that reputation obviously is very important to them.

How many people will be put off the ereader by just the topic header, let alone reading the full story.

Good luck; I would have thought that the small claims court/ tribunal would be the place do even more damage to their name!

Nick
NSqirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:25 AM   #40
conundrum
Enthusiast
conundrum began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
got a picture of the damage? it sounds like the backplane is broken, as i have had the same problem with my '505 after a battery change due to the inadequate protection behind the screen.

in my case it also flashed but it was obvious what had happened as there was a diagonal line on the screen (tilting at an angle revealed this)

interestingly the presence of a dot suggests damage already existing. I wonder if in this case they used the wrong length screw at the factory and it pressed on the backplane?

just a thought.
fwiw if you have a '505 with bad battery just send it back for repair, its not worth the risk of breaking the screen repairing it yourself.
conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:08 AM   #41
Gatecra5her
Enthusiast

I will ask for the pictures as it would be interesting to see, though if there's a charge associated with getting them then they can keep them!

If this doesn't all work out then I think I'll get a second hand prs300, I can trade a few things at CeX and get one. I'll have to see their reply to my letter first, I'm not hopeful though I don't know whether to pay the £30 to get the 600 back off Sony, what could I do with it?? Probably sell it for spares but I wouldn't break even with the £30.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:42 PM   #42
Gatecra5her
Enthusiast

Well I bit the bullet and bought a second hand PRS-505 off eBay today for £100, should arrive in 2 days I hope. I have no confidence in getting my reader fixed and at least with me buying a second hand reader I'm not putting money in Sony's account!
Old 03-01-2010, 08:44 PM   #43
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
The 505 is a very nice device. Many wish it were still part of the Reader lineup.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:52 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
The 505 is a very nice device. Many wish it were still part of the Reader lineup.
It would be better to have the 505 then the 300.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:18 AM   #45
Gatecra5her
Enthusiast

SCION and JSWolf, thank you! I deliberated for many hours before spotting the good deal on eBay and just going for it! The 6 inches is what I'm used to and I can use my cover with light from the 600

It's sad that I now trust second hand Sony kit more than new (tried and tested already etc)