Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-24-2010, 05:50 PM   #16
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I contacted Sony Customer Service USA, and asked if they could let Sony UK know that they are damaging the Sony name world wide. I linked this topic.

If they respond, I will post here. It is no longer the closed little markets companies would like.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:55 PM   #17
Gatecra5her
Enthusiast
Gatecra5her began at the beginning.

rmm200 that's a very good thing you did - thank you! This is a very large community so hopefully it will hold some weight!
Gatecra5her is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2010, 06:02 PM   #18
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Well I wish - Sony is really not interested in EMail feedback on their products. The Customer Support response was:

"Dear Valued Customer,

We appreciate your interest in Sony products! Due to the complexity of our products, we are unable to assist you via email.

If you would like assistance with a product you already own, please contact the Sony Support team at 800-222-7669.< p>

If you are interested in purchasing a new product which is available on SonyStyle.com, please call to speak with our Sale team at 877-865-7669 and select option 1.< p>

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Sony Style Customer Care"

There is no way to send an EMail to a company officer, or any other EMail access.

Sorry - I tried. Maybe it is just Sony USA that is this way - but someone should be fired.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:33 PM   #19
Gatecra5her
Enthusiast

Thanks anyway rmm200!

I would love to talk to the engineer who looked at my reader. He says it's been physically damaged but doesn't know how - so they're blaming me and I have no say in the matter!

Another guy on the phone said "perhaps it's been dropped or brushed off a table accidentally?". This is a huge no! I told him to look at the thing, MINT condition, he patronisingly said "Well sir things can be dropped and nudged and still not have a mark on them".

If there's anything worse than being called a liar it's being patronised!
Old 02-24-2010, 06:43 PM   #20
deltop
Zealot
deltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
Forget about dealing with Sony, you need to go through Waterstones. They are the ones you need to be chasing up and they are the ones who need to fulfill their legal obligations under the Sales of Goods Act 1979. You always always always deal with the retailer especially if your item is less than a year old, don't be fobbed off with "it's the manufacturers problem, that's what the warranty is for", or anything along those lines. Your contract is with them NOT the manufacturer. Have a look here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theonesho...ter_downl.html

Read through the first letter, noting this part:

"This legislation also states that the seller, not the manufacturer, is legally obliged to sort out a problem if the goods do not meet these requirements.

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) says: if goods break within the first six months after purchase then there is a presumption the goods were faulty when sold.
"

So as I said forget about dealing with Sony and politely but firmly insist that Waterstones deal with matter as they are legally obliged to do so. In the first instance talk to the manager in store (or a supervisor if you bought online), if that gets you nowhere send the letter.

Last edited by deltop; 02-24-2010 at 06:50 PM.
deltop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2010, 07:18 PM   #21
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I would try what deltop said above. I would start very polite and ask to speak to the manager on duty. No use telling your story to people that do not have authority to do something about it. I would be polite to the manager and see what kind of deal could be reached. (perhaps a refurb unit, ...etc). If they would not work with me, then I would raise cane.... Some say that does not work, but I can tell you it does. Not the preferred way of getting customer service, but as a last resort, why not....

If that didn't get some results I would call Sony and get someone in authority on the line there. Start polite, get their name and if possible an extension/email address so you can follow up with them. If they will not work with you, then again I would get all kinds of in their face.

Because of the length of time they may not just hand you a new one... but they OWE you something.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:49 PM   #22
Gatecra5her
Enthusiast

I would feel a lot more comfortable dealing with Waterstones - but the lack of a receipt means I really don't have a leg to stand on Although the units haven't even been out a year, I can't prove that it was bought from Waterstones (though I have the original box, I'm unsure as to whether it's Waterstone's own barcodes etc on the reverse).

Perhaps the serial number could work? Sony were able to confirm proof of purchase when I gave them the date and place of purchase, so maybe Waterstones can do this if I give them the serial number of the model - certainly worth a shot!

If I were to take it back to Waterstones I would need to pay £27.50 to Sony to send my own one back, if I don't pay that then they'll "dispose of it"!!
Old 02-25-2010, 03:14 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sony themselves have a a complaint procedure. I'd suggest that you phone up the UK support line and state that you wish to make a complaint. You'll get a "case number", and it'll be escalated to Sony's head office. I too had an issue with my PRS-600, and got the "brush off" from the repair centre, but was able to resolve the matter to my satisfaction through the complaint procedure.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:25 AM   #24
Gatecra5her
Enthusiast

Hi Harry,

I was given the number for Sony's complaints department yesterday and was on the line for half an hour with them, then a supervisor - for half an hour straight they just kept going on and on about how "damage isn't covered". I don't know how they can say "We're not saying you've dropped it or broken it, but damage isn't covered", that's the biggest contradiction.

I got cut off whilst in the middle of my 355th plea for them to fix it, so I'm going to phone them back today before I phone trading standards.

They said I can request pictures of the insides that are broken, but what use would that be to me?
Old 02-25-2010, 07:55 AM   #25
Lord Hutton
Lord Hutton began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600
If all is unresolved with Sony & Waterstones, then what about claiming on your household insurance or is £219 under your excess? I would have pressed my case with Waterstones, as they are liable as pointed out earlier in this thread.
Lord Hutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:29 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The trouble is, though, that if it really is physical damage - and Sony have photographs to prove it - then you really don't have a leg to stand on, because no warranty covers such things. I doubt if Trading Standards will be able to assist.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:43 AM   #27
Gatecra5her
Enthusiast

Hi Harry,

That's my biggest concern, they have pictures of the deep insides of the reader, which has a broken screen. I have the same argument as them, it's broken and I never broke it. It's not the outer layer of the screen that's broke it's the layer underneath apparently, how does that even happen? They don't know how it happened and I know for a fact it wasn't me. Perhaps trading standards can help as they're effectively blaming me but can't explain how anone would do the damage.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:57 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The issue is that if you had sent it back when you first noticed the problem, it would have been dealt with. Waiting till it became full fledged damage was not a good idea. It's very hard to tell the difference between the user doing that sort of damage or the device just breaking.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:35 AM   #29
Gatecra5her
Enthusiast

I know what you mean. I didn't see it as a fault though as it was simply a dot, LCD screens have dead pixels too so I just considered myself lucky it was covered by words when I was Reading
Old 02-25-2010, 04:23 PM   #30
Gatecra5her
Enthusiast

Hi guys, just a quick update.

I phoned trading standards today and they advised me that due to the Sales of Goods act, they are under a Burden of Proof to 100% prove that the damaged caused was due to me. If they cannot do this (there's no way they can, because it wasn't me!) then they, by law, must provide me with a refund, repair or replacement at no cost to myself.

I think this applies to Waterstones though, not Sony. The problem being I do not have the receipt! However, trading standards says as long as there is a witness to the purchase (there are several) then that is good enough...plus I'm assuming there should be some form of tracking system with batches and serial numbers of the readers, so they'd know it was bought from Waterstones - Sony confirmed this themselves!

I will write a letter to Sony regarding the advice from trading standards and post their reply!