Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #1
nickygrist
nickygrist began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Sony PRS-600 advise

Hi to all

I am thinking of buying one of these. I have lots of pc guides for maya, photoshop ect all in pdf will I be able to load these on this reader, not just online purchased ebooks
nickygrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
you will be able to load them, yes. but honestly if they are filled with a lot of graphics and charts, the 600 would not be your best choice. pdf graphics are scaled down to fit the screen, you can zoom in and blow up the images to view them but it is very slow and panning around the image is a complete hassle. pdf text however is rendered as normal text and is fast (for these devices). so it really comes down to what pdf content you're viewing.

i have several technical reference manuals on my 600, it's just fine looking up some text, and fortunately the graphics are few and far between.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
nickygrist

they are mainly text, so thats great thanks scott, is there any other formats that the 600 can load, If not can a manual be converted to pdf and work with no problems
Old 02-12-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
right from the ebook reader matrix the 600 can support BBeB (LRF/LRX), PDF, EPUB, TXT, RTF, JPG, BMP, GIF, PNG, MP3, AAC natively.

if you're looking for conversion software i strongly recommend calibre which also has a forum here as well. you will be able to convert pdf's to epub (commonly used on the 600 and other ereaders) but the results may not be acceptable.

calibre is free to download and use, you can try it out now on some of your documents and try to preview what they might look like on an ereader display.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:07 PM   #5
nickygrist

Nice one scott that is really helpful

Thankyou
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 03:23 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The 600 is an excellent device. As you can see from my profile on the left, I have numerous readers; the 600 is the one that I use every day.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:26 AM   #7
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
WARNING!! Blatant Thread hijack in progress!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The 600 is an excellent device. As you can see from my profile on the left, I have numerous readers; the 600 is the one that I use every day.
Harry, I've always meant to ask you; why do you have so many different readers? Other than pdf files, do you find that one reader is better suited to your reading habits or lifestyle, etc.?

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:57 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The simple truth is that I just love gadgets. They all have their own strengths and weaknesses, yes, but the only two I'm regularly using at present are the Sony PRS-600 for reading at home, and the Pocketbook 360 when I'm "out and about".
Old 02-13-2010, 08:08 PM   #9
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The simple truth is that I just love gadgets.
Can't beat that!

Quote:
They all have their own strengths and weaknesses, yes, but the only two I'm regularly using at present are the Sony PRS-600 for reading at home, and the Pocketbook 360 when I'm "out and about".
Thanks, Harry. At the risk of being too nosy, would you share your reasons for preferring the 360 for outside reading over the 600?

Stitchawl
Old 02-14-2010, 03:18 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Thanks, Harry. At the risk of being too nosy, would you share your reasons for preferring the 360 for outside reading over the 600?

Stitchawl
Simply that it's a lot smaller, lighter, and easier to carry around. I can carry it in my coat pocket.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:06 PM   #11
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Simply that it's a lot smaller, lighter, and easier to carry around. I can carry it in my coat pocket.
Thanks again, Harry. There are no e-readers available to handle here in Japan, so it makes comparisons a 'paper only' affair. It's good to hear some 'in hand' comments to go along with them. Thanks.

Stitchawl