Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-20-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Books you cannot find in e-versions

I tend to buy new (to me) books as ebooks for the most part, but over the past year or so, I have been gradually replacing some of my p-books with e-editions if I have a large micropay credit and there is a sale going on to bring the price really low. I just bought six more and got back such a large credit due to a coupon/ereader 5% rebate/large transaction rebate that the six netted out at about $1.50 per book.

These were the last of the books in my list though. I still have half a shelf remaining or print fiction books for which I cannot find ebook versions in a format that is easy for me to deal with. I still buy all my non-fiction in print form but for fiction, I really hope to one day hit all-ebook.

Does anyone else have a little hoard of print books for which you cannot find an e-version? If so, I am curious what the books are. The short version of my list:

- A half-dozen Douglas Coupland titles. I did find his newest one at Kobo (but nowhere else). I would dearly like an e-version of Microserfs as it's one of my favourites, but on the other hand he does some creative things with formatting in that book so I am not sure it would work.

- The Last Unicorn and A Fine & Private Place by Peter S. Beagle. I love those books. A Fine & Private Place is one of my all-time favourites.

- Anything by Tom Holt. I have one book of his I like that is part of a series and I would love to read the subsequent volumes, but I refuse to buy them in paper.

- John Irving's fairly rare and out of print short story collection, Trying to Save Piggy Sneed. It has a story in it that is one of my all-time fav short stories. No ebook though

- Early Timothy Findley. I have not explored his newer stuff much (4 of them are available in ebook) but I would love to have Not Wanted on the Voyage in ebook form.

- Anne-Marie McDonald. Those are hefty books, too. I would save a ton of shelf space if they were in ebook.

I have been buying the more recent In Death books by Nora Roberts in ebook but have not got around to replacing my earlier paperbacks. It'll be about 30 books, and I have a ton to read right now, so there is no compelling reason. Other than that though, I have either gotten rid of the p-books outright, or replaced them with ebooks.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I'd love to see some old childhood favorites, like Elizabeth Enright's Melendy family books come to eBooks. And C.S. Lewis, with Pauline Bayle's illustrations gracing the pages.

Also, John Barnes "One for the Morning Glory".
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2009, 05:17 PM   #3
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Kim Newman, written under his own name.
Terry Dowling.
Stephen Baxter's Resplendent.
C. L. Moore's Judgment Night

Many SF anthologies Dozois Year's Best, Hugo Winners etc.

All the Nancy Kress collections
The Best of Lucius Shepard

You can of course get parts of some of the latter
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:29 PM   #4
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
There's a few million paper books out there, not so many ebooks yet. A list of books that aren't converted yet would be rather large.

Fortunately, your paper books aren't likely to fade any time soon....
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:22 PM   #5
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
The vast majority of the American scifi I have except Baen's publications.

(Remembering I prefer second hand print books to DRM'ed ones)
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2009, 06:48 PM   #6
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quiet some books I cannot download. Not only because there isn't an ebook version out but also because of I live in the Netherlands and many ebook aren't available to me because of region restrictions. I can't download most Stephen King and Charlaine Harris books and I just got my pbook version of "Outlander" (after a tip on this forum).

Most frustrating is when I see an interesting book on Books on Board only to find out I can't buy it.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:28 PM   #7
rwillmer
luzme.com
rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Most frustrating is when I see an interesting book on Books on Board only to find out I can't buy it.
Do you find the same problem buying ebooks from UK booksellers?
Rachel
rwillmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:54 PM   #8
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I'm a cook by trade and by desire and there are very few *good* cooking ebooks. I doubt if my collection of cooking pbooks will be replaced anytime soon.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:15 PM   #9
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'd like to see what my namesake, Tom Sharpe, has written. I hear he's pretty good. There are no ebooks.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:39 PM   #10
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Bugs me I can't get George Alec Effinger's Budayeen series in ebook form...they are some wonderful fun pulp/cyberpunk kinda SF...expecially "When Gravity Fails". I once emailed the publisher about 2yrs ago now and was told pretty much to not hold my breath.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:51 PM   #11
Rob G.
Enthusiast
Rob G. doesn't litterRob G. doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
Ian McDonald and John Fante are the two biggies for me. I've seen Fante on the Kindle outside the US, but I just tripped across that tonight and I'm in the US so...
Rob G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:10 PM   #12
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
I also just remembered one of the top three authors I have head, Edward Abbey is not to be had as an ebook. The man could flat out write....beyond his fiction, his books about the desert were supurb.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:17 PM   #13
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post

Fortunately
Yes. Congralutation for using the right adjective. It costs a fortune really.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:15 AM   #14
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwillmer View Post
Do you find the same problem buying ebooks from UK booksellers?
Rachel
I buy from the BoB's UK store. Some books that aren't available to me can be bought if I change my location to UK. I can't buy them, probably because my billing address is in the Netherlands. Hopefully by adding a British address I can buy those books, I pay by using Paypal and hopefully that isn't linked to my Dutch location.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:32 AM   #15
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Books I have looked for since my first reader about ten months ago...

- quite a lot of John Irving actually - only a few of his titles are available

- Joseph Heller's Catch 22 - quoted as coming by a new eBook compnay some months ago

- JK Rowling as well documented

- many of the JRR Tolkein titles promised, but not yet delivered

- most of Antonia Fraser's historical fiction

- Muriel Sparke's Prime of Miss Jean Brodie - I asked Penguin about this one as some of her other books are available, and they said that the rights owner had declined eBook rights

many, many more. Depressingly many.

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote