Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #31
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
I've never read much fanfic - any sites you'd recommend as a starting place? Western and Romance has little appeal...besides that, I'll read it all (well, almost).
I believe fanfiction.net is considered the biggest repository of fan fiction on the internet. There are also forums where I imagine you can get recommendations. They also have a related site (fictionpress.com) which hosts original fiction. I haven't gotten around to reading anything on these sites.. at least not yet.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:39 PM   #32
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
I've never read much fanfic - any sites you'd recommend as a starting place? Western and Romance has little appeal...besides that, I'll read it all (well, almost).
The Archive of Our Own tends toward high-quality writing, because it's fairly new, and was created by a pool of experienced fanfic authors who got fed up with other archives' changing policies and erratic customer support. It skews heavily towards slash, but has clear (to me, anyway) markings to make things fairly easy to find.

It's in beta testing, and the code's constantly being updated, so it's got some bugs. (And if you find any, they'd like to know about it. Even if they've got it on the list; they like knowing what new people find vs what their experienced site-crawlers notice.)

Hm. For someone who's never particularly tried fanfic, I'd suggest starting with the Yuletide 2009 collection. Yuletide is an annual fanfic gift exchange focused on "small fandoms"--those that don't have a large following online. It gets stories on a lot of favorite childhood books, individual songs, and obscure tv shows. Yuletide has a minimum of 1000 words for its stories, and tends to high quality because it's done by volunteers who are willing to be handed writing assignments at random. (They pick what 4 fandoms they're willing to write; they get a prompt list with 3 or 4 fandoms, at least one of which is certain to match one of theirs.)

The original Yuletide archive is also good, but less search-able and harder to navigate. (Eventually, it'll all be migrated to AO3.)

5 Yuletide recs:
Wait Wait Don't Eat Me: National Public Radio RPF (Real people fic), 1007 words.
Summary: "We're going to be cutting our show a little short today, because, as you may have heard, there's an apocalypse happening! But we didn't let the election of Barack Obama stop us, and we're not going to let the zombie hordes stop us either."

All your heart-melodies: Lilo & Stitch, 1039 words
Summary: At seven, Lilo wants to grow up to be an intergalactic space hero.

Bearing Witness: Babylon 5, 9726 words.
Summary: The best observers are often the quiet ones. The long road of Londo and G'Kar, as seen through Vir's eyes. Spoilers for all of the five seasons.

Breaking Dawn: Atlas Shrugged, 5396 words
Summary: Hank Rearden settles into Atlantis.

Most Likely To: Breakfast Club, 8142 words, explicit slash, Brian/Bender
Summary: If there had been gossip after the reunion, Brian's life might have looked something like this.

(Couldn't decide if I should rec my own or not, because there were others in the fandom that I thought were better, maybe, sort-of, so I chickened out & skipped the whole fandom.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #33
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Thanks you for taking so much time to edumacate me!
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:53 AM   #34
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Thanks you for taking so much time to edumacate me!
You spelled edjuhmacate wrong!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:36 PM   #35
Waba
Groupie
Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, PRS-350/950, HP Touchpad, Kindle Keyboard
I go to Amazon, then sort by rating... life is too short to read crap.

Unfortunately a lot of jerk marketters have taken to creating dozens of fake amazon accounts to write glowing reviews about their own books!
... pretty easy to spot though.
Waba is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2010, 09:11 PM   #36
sjb
sjb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS 600
Goodreads.com is a site I find quite useful. I like its layout better than that of LibraryThing. I'll use Goodreads to get a synopsis of a book and to read a good cross-section of user reviews, both pro and con.

The Teaching Company has a great lecture series available entitled
Classics of British Literature created and presented by John Sutherland.
The entire series is 24 hours in length spanning 1500 years of literature from Beowolf to Salman Rushdie. Obviously with a program that long there will be a dry spot or two but overall the lectures are wonderful. Sutherland provides some great insights to the authors lives and the times in which they lived.
The series is available as an MP3 file and makes for a nice diversion while commuting or walking.
sjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #37
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!
TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb View Post
Goodreads.com is a site I find quite useful. I like its layout better than that of LibraryThing. I'll use Goodreads to get a synopsis of a book and to read a good cross-section of user reviews, both pro and con.
I use Goodreads a lot too - fun site!
TC Beacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:24 PM   #38
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Fantasy Book Critic is a good blog for finding new releases and authors
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:14 AM   #39
Fringecup
Enthusiast
Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: Sony Reader 600 Touch Edition
I really like finding books written from the mid-1800s to the 1940s; most seem to be out of print, so I've used the mobileread book selections as well as Project Gutenburg and other free sites. I discovered Sax Rohmer's books this way as well as many others like E. Phillips Oppenheim's First WW spy stories. Other people's suggestions are important to me too. I just discovered the ebook version of The Lord of the Rings that way the other day. What a hoot!!
Fringecup is offline   Reply With Quote