Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-04-2009, 05:09 PM   #61
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharone View Post
Would like to add Fiona McIntosh to the list, in particular "The Quickening" series
Will second that, and add Jennifer Fallon for her "Second Sons" trilogy !
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:28 PM   #62
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Here's one that should be on the list.

Silverlock by John Myers Myers. Available at fictionwise for around 6 dollars (multiformat, no DRM). it's a fantasy about reading, for lack of a better word.
Thanks for the tip-I love that book!

My list would include:
JRR Tolkien
Haruki Murakami (not really fantasy, more...hmm)
Guy Gavriel Kay (Fionavar, Tigana)
Robert Holdstock (Mythago Wood)
Phillip Pullman
Garth Nix (only read the Abhorsen Trilogy)
Barry Hughart
Gene Wolfe (New Sun)
hmmm...
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #63
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I'd throw Chris Evans and his "Iron Elves" series to the list.

I'll also second Daniel Abraham, Joe Abercrombie, and George RR Martin.
Especially if you want something different. Brian Ruckley and the Thanes trilogy is really good for that too. So are most of the Malazan books.

Most are available as ebooks.

For the stereotypical Sword and Sorcery I'd look at the Dragonlance chronicles, Terry Brooks Shannara, and even Redwall for just all out fun.

Last edited by jaxx6166; 11-04-2009 at 09:46 PM.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:09 AM   #64
dannylee
dannylee began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
Oh I dunno, I think that pretty much covers it for must reads for anyone. If you're thinking of epic things that advanced the art or were just extraordinarily popular. eh.. maybe add:

Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman for "The Dragonlance Chronicles",
George R.R. Martin for "Song of Ice and Fire",
David Eddings for "The Belgariad"
Raymond Feist for "The Riftwar Saga"
Tad Williams for "Memory, Sorrow and Thorn"

Lots of great fantasy in this thread.
George R.R. Martin's series of"Song of Ice and Fire" is really great.
dannylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:58 AM   #65
Zyzomys
Hooked on Phonics
Zyzomys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I will recommend Steven Erikson's series, "The Malazan Book of the Fallen".
Zyzomys is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 10:29 AM   #66
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Thanks for the tip-I love that book!

My list would include:
Haruki Murakami (not really fantasy, more...hmm)
Magic Realism?
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote