Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-19-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
Purge
Enthusiast
Purge began at the beginning.

Device: None
Argh! UK, looking for a reader!

Hey ho!

So, I'm looking at getting a Reader. the problem is I'm in the UK, they're all pretty expensive, and I don't have anywhere to go and actually try them out.

My needs are pretty simple. I'm not exactly fussed about formats supported, I'm a virgin here and have no books in existing formats, so that isn't a problem.

My only really concern is, as most would be, the screen. I'd like a good screen on the device, or at least the best my budget allows.

So, I've been looking at 3 readers in particular. The PRS 505S, the CyBook Gen3 and the eSlick.

I suppose I could also stretch for a Kindle 2 imported, but this is a big stretch, it'd have to be a lot better than the other 3 for me to do it. I wouldn't benefit from the wireless purchasing of books since I'm in the EU, so yeah.

Any comments, guys and gals?

Thanks for any help.
Purge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, purge.

You've come to the right place for opinions, you'll get a slew of them.

Many people outside the US get Kindles, and manage to make them work via gift cards and such, but if you don't want the bother, you might want to strike it from your list.

As for the others, I'll let the owners speak for themselves.

Continue to ask questions, haunt the forums, and enjoy.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
Purge
Enthusiast

Kindles can work outside of the US?

I was under the impression there'd be no signal or way to use the wireless with it - If it's possible to use the store from the Kindle in the EU then I'm suddenly very interested in it again!
Old 06-19-2009, 05:37 PM   #4
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
I would recommend against the Kindle as it is my understanding that many ebooks in Europe are published in epub and Kindle does not support epub. As a rabid Sony 505 user, I have to recommend a red PRS505. I have had mine for several months and have had no regrets.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:38 PM   #5
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I'm perfectly happy with the screen on my Sony, so would have no hesitation in recommending a SILVER Sony.

Can you get to a Waterstones or a John Lewis at all?

Oh - and welcome to Mobile Read!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2009, 05:39 PM   #6
Purge
Enthusiast

I could likely get to one by the time I'm planning to purchase it, yes - Do they have display units there?

Oh, thanks for all the welcomes too!
Old 06-19-2009, 05:44 PM   #7
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I'm not sure if all Waterstones do, but I know some do. And I think John Lewis do (Waterstones sell the silver one, John Lewis the red)
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:37 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purge View Post
Kindles can work outside of the US?

I was under the impression there'd be no signal or way to use the wireless with it - If it's possible to use the store from the Kindle in the EU then I'm suddenly very interested in it again!
No wireless. You could download books to your computer, thence to your kindle using the usb cord.

Amazon will not ship a Kindle outside the US......you'd have to have someone (family or friend) buy it here and send to you.

Again......this takes lots of workarounds.....gift cards, amazon account......etc. There are threads here that go into more detail......
Old 06-19-2009, 06:41 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

For more information regardling Kindles outside the US, go here, and read post #5........

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...dle+Gift+cards

Last edited by desertgrandma; 06-19-2009 at 06:42 PM. Reason: forgot link........
Old 06-19-2009, 07:07 PM   #10
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purge View Post
So, I'm looking at getting a Reader. the problem is I'm in the UK, they're all pretty expensive, and I don't have anywhere to go and actually try them out.
Welcome at MobileRead, Purge.
Most of the reading devices are similarly priced across europe and the UK. Some are even cheaper in the UK than in the rest of europe. For example:
Sony PRS-505 @ Waterstones UK: 199 GPB
Sony PRS-505 @ Thalia DE: 299 EUR = ~253 GPB

Because most of ebooks are offered in ePub format here in europe i would buy a PRS-700 or PRS 505 these days...
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:14 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you expect to buy new releases in the UK, then a device that supports Adobe ePub is best. MOBI is more popular in the US, but in Europe ePub is king.

The Sony PRS-505 is a safe choice. It was the first EInk device to support Adobe Digital Editions (ePub and PDF).

A brand new option is the COOL-ER Reader. It has not been released yet, but early indications are that this will be an unexciting device. It does support Adobe ePub though.

Other Readers will soon support ePub, but don't do so yet. I like the BeBook line, which will soon include a 5" device and a high-end device. Currently the original BeBook supports MOBI, but there will be firmware that supports Adobe ePub (we know this because the EZ Reader, another Hanlin V3 brand, in the US will very soon have ePub and so far all firmwares for the Hanlin V3 work on all devices). If I was buying a BeBook in the UK, I would make sure it ran Adobe ePub before buying. I don't think this has been confirmed yet. This is why I say that the PRS-505 is the safest choice.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:09 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would NOT recommend buying a Kindle in the UK - you will be buying it without a warranty and, unfortunately, eBook readers do occasionally break.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:25 AM   #13
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
I have the Australian version of the HanLin V3 and it has Adobe DE (PDF and ePub) support and Mobipocket (non-DRM) support.

I expect Adobe DE is on the way for the European and American HanLin V3s, via firmware upgrades.

Last edited by cbell; 06-20-2009 at 03:28 AM.
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:39 AM   #14
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Hmm, It depends on what your reading habits are.

If you need to read a lot of PDF's and RTF's (Rich Text Documents) the Sony is obviously the Best choice as it supports those file formats natively quiet well.

While Adobe DRM books can be bit of a pain to get on, its not that difficult,and with most EU book stores moving to support ePUb its quiet a future proof option.

Finally I find that the Sony Interface is quiet bit easier to use and much more intuative, but mileage may vary.

If however Dictionary support is a Must (and even if it is not, it can be quiet handy when you least expect it) and Native HTML Support (Though Basic) is needed then the Gen3 is definitely the best choice.

Its Mobipocket support is currently the best in the market and coupled with the ability to add any fonts you need for foreign language support its a very versatile device.

I'm not that sure about of the eSlick device, so I'm sure some one will chime in.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:49 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would also note that, while it is perfectly true what a previous poster notes - that ePub is prevalent in Europe - for a British buyer, the US eBook stores can easily be used, and MobiPocket format is dominant there, hence the Gen3 is a good choice.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote