Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-23-2014, 06:34 AM   #286
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I just tried changing both the font and the size on my reader with 3.8.0 on it, and both books retain the settings through sleep and even through shutdown. When I go back to a book, the font and size I set are still displayed within the book, they don't all revert to the last change I made.

Is it only 2 books you've tried it on or does that happen with all books you try? But it sounds like it's only you.
Ok, I completely miss read your original post. Looking back at it, I can see what you meant. Here is how the font size works:
  • Open a new book, Book 1, and the font and other settings are taken from the config file
  • Open another new book, Book 2, and the font and other settings are taken from the config file. Adjust the font size while reading Book 2 and the size is stored in the database for the book and the config file is updated.
  • Reopen Book 1 and it reads the config file for the font size and uses it. Adjust the font size while reading the book and the size is stored in the database for that book and the config file is updated.
  • Reopen Book 2, and it reads the font size from the database and uses that.
  • Open another new book, Book 3, and it reads the config file for the font size and uses it.

So:
  • When opening a book, if there are stored settings for the book, they is used. If not, they come from the config file.
  • When you adjust the font and other settings for a book while reading it, the settings are stored for the book and the config file is updated.
  • When you adjust one of font, font size, margins, line height or justification, all are saved for the book.
  • This is the same for both epubs and kepubs.

The firmware has worked like this for a while. It's probably close to two years since this was added.

You can also play with these settings using my Kobo Utilities plugin in calibre. It can remove the settings or change them for each book or a group of books. And it can update the config file.

Last edited by davidfor; 09-23-2014 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Added comment about epubs and kepbs
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:41 AM   #287
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Hmm. My Touch screen is now stuck on the one book cover for Sleep or Powered Off mode. It's running 3.8.0, upgraded by the Kobo desktop; only thing I've changed was using the setting in the firmware to show the cover full-screen and remove the status banner on the display. Whatever book I open, it goes back to the same cover when it then goes to sleep.

I haven't tried deleting that book, because I'm worried that if it's being treated like a system fie it might brick the device.

Anyone else seen this? Worked around it?

I know I could just reset the device and try again, but I'm curious first whether this is a common(ish) problem and it's simply going to come back, before I waste my time. It's mostly cosmetic at this point.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2014, 08:05 AM   #288
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Mac, I am very, very happy with 3.8.0. I have it running on 4 devices. The only times I have had problems, I believe there was a bad file on a glo. I had put a huge number on. When I removed most of the newly added books, no more problems. (It could have been a bad book, or it could have been the fact that I added a few thousand at once...not really supposed to that!)
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:41 AM   #289
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
Hmm. My Touch screen is now stuck on the one book cover for Sleep or Powered Off mode. It's running 3.8.0, upgraded by the Kobo desktop; only thing I've changed was using the setting in the firmware to show the cover full-screen and remove the status banner on the display. Whatever book I open, it goes back to the same cover when it then goes to sleep.
I haven't tried deleting that book, because I'm worried that if it's being treated like a system fie it might brick the device.
Anyone else seen this? Worked around it?
I know I could just reset the device and try again, but I'm curious first whether this is a common(ish) problem and it's simply going to come back, before I waste my time. It's mostly cosmetic at this point.
Check your date/time in Settings. if this is wrong 'latest read' for screens aver cover gets confused.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:53 AM   #290
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Thanks booklover, yeah I'm pretty happy with it as well. There are a couple of bits that either misbehave, like the bookcover (on my device, at least), and a couple of things I'd like to see changed.

jackie_w, thanks for the reply. I've just checked the date/time, and they're correct. But I keep wireless disabled, so the device has no way to know that anyway.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2014, 11:10 AM   #291
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
A quick question to the experts:

With ADE 4.0 being out, I thought I'd do a bit of googling after that and RMSDK, and it seems that RMSDK 11 is out now, which is supposed to support most epub3 features, but of course has all the switches to implement that dreaded hardened DRM.

So what with Kobo confining anything looking remotely like epub3 to their kepub prison, I was wondering if anyone here might know which version of RMSDK is implemented in the current FW?

Last edited by doubleshuffle; 09-23-2014 at 02:22 PM. Reason: typo
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:51 AM   #292
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Here is MobileRead News thread about Adobe Digital Editions 3.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=231939
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:50 PM   #293
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Here is MobileRead News thread about Adobe Digital Editions 3.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=231939
Thank you. But my question was about the RMSDK implemented in Kobo FW 3.8.0, which is why I posted in this thread.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:44 PM   #294
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
So what with Kobo confining anything looking remotely like epub3 to their kepub prison, I was wondering if anyone here might know which version of RMSDK is imlemented in the current FW?
AFAIK, Kobo is using RMSDK 10.

As for confining anything with a v3.0 in the header, it makes sense. Just for giggles, download a epub3 FLO ebook and open it with ADE 2.0. Not a pretty sight.

Last edited by DNSB; 09-23-2014 at 01:52 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:54 PM   #295
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
AFAIK, Kobo is using RMSDK 10.

As for confining anything with a v3.0 in the header, it makes sense. Just for giggles, download a epub3 FLO ebook and open it with ADE 2.0. Not a pretty sight.
Thanks. It will be interesting to see if they'll let us download ebub3 books via ADE once they implement RMSDK 11.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:16 PM   #296
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Thanks. It will be interesting to see if they'll let us download ebub3 books via ADE once they implement RMSDK 11.
I'm hoping that they will switch to using one renderer. Using their DRM with RMSDK should be doable. MIght be a bit of a PITA for the Sony ereader owners they have inherited since I'm rather doubtful they will be getting any firmware updates.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:34 PM   #297
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I'm hoping that they will switch to using one renderer. Using their DRM with RMSDK should be doable. MIght be a bit of a PITA for the Sony ereader owners they have inherited since I'm rather doubtful they will be getting any firmware updates.
I don't need a cristal ball for this,Sony will not make an update available,they made the last one more then 1,5 years ago, they launched a "Dutch" model of the PRS-T2 and T3 all with an N at the last (PRS-T2N) so called limited edition.
What they did was remove all dictionary's exept the Dutch one so they have to pay less rights for the missing dictionary, only the firmware of the normal T2 and T3 doesn't upgrade the N models, so they never got an update.
As sony announced to stop with the development and selling of the e-readers, I am sure that there will be no upgrade... I have an old 650 here that for sure would not be updated..so I don't know exactly what to do but when the epub 3 would be the standard, a lot of editing and rebuilding I think ?
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:06 PM   #298
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
I assume you didn't try the patch?
I use the body tag all the time to define (force) the default values of many selectors, including margin and padding (both set to 0).

I tried it once more:
These values (25) shifts the screen (viewport) to the right:
Code:
replace_int = 957626, 0, 25
# Top margin
replace_int = 95762A, 0, 01
</Patch>
These values (01 or 00) postion the viewport to the center:
Code:
# Left margin
replace_int = 957626, 0, 01
# Top margin
</Patch>
If you take a closer look at the initial values of the patch you'll notice that the defaults are 21 (left), and 22 (top). This causes the viewport being off center.
Code:
# Initial replaces
replace_bytes = 957626, 19 46, 00 21
replace_bytes = 95762A, 1A 46, 00 22
Do we patch it like

These values (01 or 00) postion the viewport to the center:
Code:
# Left margin
replace_int = 957626, 0, 01
# Top margin
</Patch>
or like

Code:
# Initial replaces
replace_bytes = 957626, 19 46, 00 01
replace_bytes = 95762A, 1A 46, 00 01
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:16 PM   #299
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_1964 View Post
I don't need a cristal ball for this,Sony will not make an update available,they made the last one more then 1,5 years ago, they launched a "Dutch" model of the PRS-T2 and T3 all with an N at the last (PRS-T2N) so called limited edition.
What they did was remove all dictionary's exept the Dutch one so they have to pay less rights for the missing dictionary, only the firmware of the normal T2 and T3 doesn't upgrade the N models, so they never got an update.
As sony announced to stop with the development and selling of the e-readers, I am sure that there will be no upgrade... I have an old 650 here that for sure would not be updated..so I don't know exactly what to do but when the epub 3 would be the standard, a lot of editing and rebuilding I think ?
I have seen some recent ePub be released as ePub 3 when there's 100% no reason to do so. There is no ePub 3 features being used except the NAV ToC and that's covered by the NCX ToC. So really, there aren't many true ePub 3 (ePub that uses features not in ePub 2 in any way) out there for sale. If anyone has the ePub of Unlocked or Lock In (both by John Scalzi), look at the OPF and you'll see that it's ePub 3. Don't buy from Kobo as they sell those as kepub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:44 AM   #300
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have seen some recent ePub be released as ePub 3 when there's 100% no reason to do so. There is no ePub 3 features being used except the NAV ToC and that's covered by the NCX ToC. So really, there aren't many true ePub 3 (ePub that uses features not in ePub 2 in any way) out there for sale. If anyone has the ePub of Unlocked or Lock In (both by John Scalzi), look at the OPF and you'll see that it's ePub 3. Don't buy from Kobo as they sell those as kepub.
But do you think that books made in epub 3 standard will have an improved or different version of DRM ?
I have ADE 2.0 installed, will it keep working and download books with 3.0 standard and will the plugin for Calibre i now use, remove the drm ?
I can't register my Kobo readers in ADE anymore, there are to much readers authorised, I have a Sony 650 from my GF,an old bebook,my 4 last sony's that I don't own anymore, a Glo, an Aura HD and some more devices,so in order to read new books on my readers, I have to remove the DRM...
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote