Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2014, 07:59 AM   #256
indyglow
Connoisseur
indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.

Device: iPad Air, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I upgraded my Aura for the full page reading. Unfortunately, it seems to be too buggy for me to use (I'm going to stick with older firmware on my Glo). On every chapter transition, the page shifts to the right and the right margin gets cropped. I can work around it, but it is a major PITA (switch headers/footers back on, go back a page, go forward a page, switch headers/footers back off).
I have noticed that adding the following line to the CSS file in ePub does seem to resolve the problem of text getting cut-off on my Aura HD. I am on version 3.8.0 (patched), solely use kepubs using Kobo Extended Touch Plugin and does read with "Show Header and Footer" turned off.

body
{
margin-right: 30px;
}

I tried this on few epubs with 30px and the text fits neatly at the centre of the screen of Aura HD. You might have to tweak that number for your device. I also noted that you'll have to remove any "margin-left" line from the body tag of the CSS.
indyglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:55 AM   #257
fx3000se
fx3000se began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiatek View Post
Installed on my Mini - so far so good.

There's one more new thing since 3.5 (at least at Mini) - redesigned screensaver:
- info about % of read book was moved;
- info about time to the end was added.
Mark 4?
fx3000se is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2014, 10:15 AM   #258
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyglow View Post
I have noticed that adding the following line to the CSS file in ePub does seem to resolve the problem of text getting cut-off on my Aura HD. I am on version 3.8.0 (patched), solely use kepubs using Kobo Extended Touch Plugin and does read with "Show Header and Footer" turned off.

body
{
}

I tried this on few epubs with 30px and the text fits neatly at the centre of the screen of Aura HD. You might have to tweak that number for your device. I also noted that you'll have to remove any "margin-left" line from the body tag of the CSS.
Does it solve the problem of everything shifting to the right?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:23 AM   #259
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fx3000se View Post
Mark 4?
If you mean, should you use the Mark 4 version of the firmware for your Mini, then yes. The Mini is a Mark 4 device, so always use that firmware.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:41 AM   #260
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:

body
{
}

Have you tried to enable the Margins fine tuning patch?
On my Glo this section of the patch does exactly the opposite.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2014, 11:28 AM   #261
indyglow
Connoisseur
indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.

Quote:
Does it solve the problem of everything shifting to the right?
Yes it absolutely does.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:33 AM   #262
indyglow
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Have you tried to enable the Margins fine tuning patch?
On my Glo this section of the patch does exactly the opposite.
I don't have "Margin Fine Tuning" patch enabled. My observation is that any epub with margins defined in body tags in css get affected. A couple of books with no body tag in css had no cut off at all.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:17 PM   #263
alicroche
Gourmet
alicroche began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I noticed changes in the dictionary calls with 3.8 last night. I'd already noticed a bug with Spanish a few versions back (I reported it in the bug thread) but this is different: Kobo apparently decided to go to a translation dictionary instead of single language for the first pop-up when appropriate, considering the translation dictionaries always turn around English. I know many people prefer it, but with how poor the kobo dual language dictionaries are (possibly apart from the English-French one), I'm afraid it won't be much use to them - Sony dictionaries were much better.

At present, with my language defined as the usual French
Spanish defined books call the French dictionary, unless I switch the parameters language to Spanish - the same books that called the Spanish dictionary a few releases ago
English defined books call the English-French dictionary in the first pop-up, the single language English in the full page called from the pop-up
French, Italian and German books call the single language appropriate dictionary in both pop-up and full page
If I define my language as English
Spanish and English defined books call the English dictionary
French, German and Italian defined books call the French-English/German-English/Italian-English dictionaries respectively in the first pop-up, the single language appropriate ones in the full page called from the pop-up

I understand that most of this corresponds to majority wishes, though I would like an option to choose single language as a first choice - not to speak of decent translation dictionaries - but I DON'T understand why, while implementing all this, kobo didn't solve the reported Spanish bug.
Same problem here with Aura HD and 3.8.0 : I read books in english and french and don't use EN-FR but EN dictionary when reading english. So my only installed dictionaries are english and french ones and the user interface language is french. Now, when I touch a word in an english book, I get a message asking me to download the english dictionary (which is already there). I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the dictionary but to no avail.
I'm very annoyed with this behavior I must say. Did you or anybody here found a way to revert to the previous one ?

Last edited by alicroche; 09-20-2014 at 12:26 PM.
alicroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:43 PM   #264
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes it absolutely does.
Thanks.

Using Calibre, how can I remove margin-left from the body tag?
Old 09-20-2014, 01:07 PM   #265
indyglow
Connoisseur

Right click on the book and click on edit in the menu popup which will present you with the epub editor. Make the changes to the css, save and exit. That is all there is to it.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:35 PM   #266
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't have "Margin Fine Tuning" patch enabled. My observation is that any epub with margins defined in body tags in css get affected. A couple of books with no body tag in css had no cut off at all.
I assume you didn't try the patch?
I use the body tag all the time to define (force) the default values of many selectors, including margin and padding (both set to 0).

I tried it once more:
These values (25) shifts the screen (viewport) to the right:
Code:
replace_int = 957626, 0, 25
# Top margin
replace_int = 95762A, 0, 01
</Patch>
These values (01 or 00) postion the viewport to the center:
Code:
# Left margin
replace_int = 957626, 0, 01
# Top margin
replace_int = 95762A, 0, 01
</Patch>
If you take a closer look at the initial values of the patch you'll notice that the defaults are 21 (left), and 22 (top). This causes the viewport being off center.
Code:
# Initial replaces
replace_bytes = 957626, 19 46, 00 21
replace_bytes = 95762A, 1A 46, 00 22
Old 09-20-2014, 02:35 PM   #267
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Right click on the book and click on edit in the menu popup which will present you with the epub editor. Make the changes to the css, save and exit. That is all there is to it.
That's easy for you to say.

I currently have ~50 books on the reader, so it would be a little tedious. And than if it gets fixed, I'll need to go back and take the change out?
Old 09-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #268
Anak
Fanatic

Quote:
That's easy for you to say.

I currently have ~50 books on the reader, so it would be a little tedious. And than if it gets fixed, I'll need to go back and take the change out?
Yes, and that is exactly why it is not a good solution.

Quote:
A couple of books with no body tag in css had no cut off at all.
That should be obvious because if you define margins in the body tag you're basically saying to partially 'crop' the page, and characters will be 'cut off' if they don't fit on the page at the right page margin. This is a 'hard' margin and that's why characters are cut off.
This will definitely be case when a character whit a negative right sidebearing (RSB) is the last charcter (position) on a line.
Two examples: (1) a character with a negative RSB is the lowercase character f. (2) the lowercase character j has a negative LSB, that character will be cut off if a line starts with this character.

There are a few trick to tackle this.
1. Don't define margins in a body tag if they are not set or equal to zero (0).
2. Use padding selector instead. Consider this selector as a soft margin. Chacters witha negative left or right side bearing will be displayed in 'full' instead of being cut off.

body {margin:15px;padding:0;} (this will cut off characters)
body {margin:0;padding:15px} (this creates a 'soft margin' of 15px and prevents that some characters are cut off)

Or use something like
Code:
body{margin:0;padding:0;}
p,div {margin:0;padding-left:15px;padding-right:15px}
(the same but limited to p and div)

Or define a 'wrapper' for the page margins:
Code:
body{margin:0;padding:0;}
p,div{margin:0;padding:0;}
.pagemargins {padding-top:20px;padding-left:15px;padding-right:15px}
(CSS)

Code:
<body>
<div class="pagemargins">

... original code/markup here
</div>
</body>
Nutshell:
You have the native viewport of the device, everything outside this area will not be printed or visible.
Within the viewport there is a window or screen in which the reading app (epub, kepub engine) prints text and images. This window or screen can be shifted outside the actual viewport of the device, and characters are only partically displayed (cut off) or not at all. That is the problem were discussing here. Is there a way to reposition this window or screen to the correct position to prevent that characters are not visible or cut off.
This window or screen can be reduced in size by using various selectors, @page, margin, padding (and maybe others) to set the actual page size.
There is a distinction between hard and soft margins. Hard margins cut off characters that have either negative left or right sidebearings. To prevent this from happening use 'soft margins' instead of 'hard margins'. Especially and/or limited to, left and right margins.

Last edited by Anak; 09-21-2014 at 05:40 AM. Reason: nutshell
Old 09-20-2014, 04:33 PM   #269
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
I don't use the extra social features your complaining about. Many members here who buy lots of books from Kobo want them and it adds to their reading experience.
"Complaining" is a mis-characterisation. I was putting my own interests forward by way of conversation, as others readily do. Did you miss my saying "(Subjective call, I realise.)"? Or "And why does Kobo spin its development wheels on things like that, when there are issues to be addressed and features implemented that directly affect file management and navigation? And, ermm, stability of the device's functions?"?

I'm sure there are people who like to use the features. But I'm also sure there are others who, as a matter of priority, would rather have the actual reader functions stabilised and expanded.

To characterise it as a personal "complaint" is a bit unfair. At least you didn't call me a "hater", I suppose.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:32 PM   #270
rosalita
Connoisseur
rosalita began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Forma, Kindle Paperwhite 3
Hello all. I think this is my first time posting here but I read these forums all the time and have gotten lots of great tips and advice here. I have a Kobo Touch from 2011, and I love it. But the latest firmware seems to have played havoc with the ability to change the font size in certain books. Even if I push the slider all the way to the right, the font size stays at the same uncomfortably (for me) small size.

It doesn't happen with all books, and it's possible it's only happening with books that I downloaded via Overdrive from the library and then loaded using ADE. I've read through this whole thread to see if anyone else has experienced this issue, but it doesn't seem to have been raised yet.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to regain the size-changing ability?
rosalita is offline   Reply With Quote