Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #91
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
So what you're saying, if I understand you correctly, is that you, who have never bought anything from Amazon, have a more accurate knowledge of what they charge for ebooks than those of us who've been buying from them for years, and can simply look at our purchase history and see what we actually did pay? Have I got that right?

EDIT: I've just checked and my Amazon order history goes back to November 1998.
I would say the answer to that question is "Yes." This is the twenty-first century and belief trumps evidence.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #92
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoraceWimp View Post
At the end of the day, as I’m sure you will agree, I am entitled to hold the opinions I do, regardless of whether people choose to believe in them or not. I’m not asking people to agree with me.
Of course you're entitled to hold whatever opinion you wish. But what you can't (sensibly) do is make statements like "Amazon charged $9.99 for all new ebooks" when those of us who've been buying from them for 15-odd years can simply look at our order history and see that this was not true.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #93
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions: no one is entitled to their own facts.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #94
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoraceWimp View Post
I’m going to stop here now I think because any more discussion from me on this subject will simply end up going round in circles. I don’t see how that is going to help anyone or further the discussion.

At the end of the day, as I’m sure you will agree, I am entitled to hold the opinions I do, regardless of whether people choose to believe in them or not. I’m not asking people to agree with me.
You are entitled to hold whatever beliefs you want. What you are not allowed to do, without objection, is to use ignorance and dishonesty in an attempt to spread those beliefs. You may not like Amazon, and you don't have to like Amazon. But if you support your dislike for Amazon by telling obvious falsehoods, you won't win many converts. And you might want to ask yourself why you can't use actual facts to support your beliefs.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #95
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I'm just going to point out two things about Amazon:

1. Amazon is under no obligation whatsoever to discount e-books. The company can sell a title at, below, or even above the publisher's suggested price should they wish. This holds true for all retailers.

2. Amazon sells far more than just e-books. Discussion of the company's financial situation tends to ignore that fact.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #96
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I understand that it's the product of a university press, and yes university press books are usually more expensive than those published by commercial publishers. However, it is not Amazon's responsibility to discount the book until it is priced competitively with books from commercial publishers. If the author is complaining that the book is too expensive when the list price is close to twice that of books on similar subjects from commercial publishers, it's not Amazon's fault. The publisher set the price, so they're ultimately responsible.
Wasn't trying to say that Amazon should lower the prices until university press books are roughly the same price as books published by commercial publishers. That wouldn't make sense business-wise. Just trying to point out that university press books (as well as those from smaller presses) are generally (but not always) going to be more "expensive" compared to books on similar subjects or in similar genres from commercial publishers.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:32 AM   #97
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Yay! Amazon are a huge multinational corporation who treat their workers like crap, who dodge tax to the tune of billions and who use their ill-gotten gains to stamp out competition and who never give to charity. Yay, Amazon! THEY NEED YOUR LOVE!

But seriously. Why the heck does anybody waste the ink and breath to defend this beast? It should be shot. People are weird.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:43 AM   #98
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
But seriously. Why the heck does anybody waste the ink and breath to defend this beast? It should be shot. People are weird.
I, for one, am not defending Amazon. They don't need defending--and I don't even currently purchase from them (ePub phase). But that doesn't mean I can't point out the falsehoods and the bullshit arguments of those who waste ink and breath (who the heck knows why) trying to convince the world that Amazon is drowning little baby kittens and otherwise plotting the demise of literature and civilization.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #99
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
People are weird.
Yes they are.
They run Quixotic crusades trying to "save" people from "threats" they don't need protecting from.

Live and let die.

Just don't spread proven falsehoods.
That... annoys... the well-informed.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #100
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I, for one, am not defending Amazon. They don't need defending--and I don't even currently purchase from them (ePub phase). But that doesn't mean I can't point out the falsehoods and the bullshit arguments of those who waste ink and breath (who the heck knows why) trying to convince the world that Amazon is drowning little baby kittens and otherwise plotting the demise of literature and civilization.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Yes they are.
They run Quixotic crusades trying to "save" people from "threats" they don't need protecting from.

Live and let die.

Just don't spread proven falsehoods.
That... annoys... the well-informed.
Well said, gentlemen.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #101
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I don't even currently purchase from them (ePub phase).
The fact that Amazon doesn't sell epubs (yet) seems to indicate that Amazon is not trying to kill off the competition.

It seems to me that if Amazon did sell epubs that they would get quite a lot of business from the epub crowd and possibly hit the competition really hard. Sure they might have to pay 22 cents a copy to ADE, but I doubt that would hurt too much.

Any business would be happy to have an exclusive market, but the negative publicity from being seen to drive your competition out of business, not to mention legal repercussions make it a risky proposition.

Amazon seems to have a very good business model, which anyone with enough drive and ambition could probably emulate. It's not magic.

In some ways Amazon seems to encourage growth in other businesses and individuals by allowing them to use the Amazon marketplace, making their products much more accessible.

Amazon bashing may give the envious and credulous something to rant on about, but I doubt anyone at Amazon is listening or quaking in their boots. I know I wouldn't.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #102
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Yay! Amazon are a huge multinational corporation... who never give to charity.
Here's an interesting article about Amazon's charitable giving: Amazon.com dubbed a corporate scrooge by hometown newspaper

Quote:
The reason for Amazon’s lack of involvement is an overall libertarian philosophy, one that’s rooted deeply in the company’s value system and driven by founder Jeff Bezos, notes The Times.
Despite the complaining, Seattle's economy and tax base have been enormously improved by Amazon. As is pointed out in the comments, Microsoft endured the same complaints in its early years, but in time became 'a philanthropic powerhouse'. I expect the same will be true of Amazon.

Jeff Bezos donated $15 million to establish the Bezos Center for Neural Circuit Dynamics in the Princeton Neuroscience Institute. Just-retired Princeton President Shirley M. Tilghman said, "The Princeton Neuroscience Institute is grappling with some of the most fascinating questions in the scientific world today, and the Bezos Center will significantly advance our understanding of how the brain works."

I have been particularly interested in the Princeton neuroscience research in which my granddaughter is involved as a Ph.D candidate. Much good will come from the Bezos Center.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #103
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A lot of tech companies donate massive amounts of money *quietly* through the individual execs, without holding press conferences or shooting fireworks.
Most american corporations also channel their charitable giving through established NGOs like the United Way, Red Cross, etc.
It beats relying on politicians to dun their business and use the funds to buy votes.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #104
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
A lot of tech companies donate massive amounts of money *quietly* through the individual execs, without holding press conferences or shooting fireworks.
Most american corporations also channel their charitable giving through established NGOs like the United Way, Red Cross, etc.
It beats relying on politicians to dun their business and use the funds to buy votes.
Quiet donations are good as are noisy ones. A donation is a donation and even if they are made for publicity purposes they still cost the donor money.

And noisy donations draw attention to the cause the donation is made to.

I admire any wealthy entity or person who donates money to a worthwhile cause even if self-serving on some level.

Be interesting if Bezos donates his brain to the BezosCentre Would we construe it as putting your brain where your mouth is or massive egotism.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #105
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Be interesting if Bezos donates his brain to the BezosCentre Would we construe it as putting your brain where your mouth is or massive egotism.

Helen
I think it would serve as a Rorschach test for Amazon Derangement Syndrome.