Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
Captain_Obvious
Captain_Obvious began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc
Trouble sideloading a specific book

Hi there,

So recently I've been trying to sideload a book onto my Glo. I've successfully managed to do so with plenty of other books before using Calibre. Thing is with this one specific book the Glo will recognize that it's there. However, if you open the book it will immediately close it and mark it as finished. What's especially weird for me is that I can successfully sideload this book onto my arc and have it work perfectly. Any tips on getting this book to work on the glo? My glo runs firmware 2.4.0 and calibre is 0.9.24 (64-bit) if this helps any.

Thanks
Captain_Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Have you tried doing an ePub to ePub conversion on the book?

If you do, make sure to drop the book from the Glo before resending it.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
Captain_Obvious

Quote:
Have you tried doing an ePub to ePub conversion on the book?

If you do, make sure to drop the book from the Glo before resending it.
So I attempted to do just that but was unsuccessful. I deleted the book from the glo, converted the book then sideloaded it once more only to get the same result. Not entirely sure what I'm doing wrong. :-/
Old 03-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
i remember a discussion about this before...i don't think it's the book...but that it's not being loaded onto the glo properly...the discussion was at least a couple months back iirc, i had it happen sometimes...but i haven't recently, so i can't remember what i did to get it to load properly...

oh and i think the person who brought up the topic thought it was related to bookmarking (since it bookmarks the last page when you finish a book)...but i can't remember what thread it was....

Last edited by Uschiekid; 03-23-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
Captain_Obvious

Bump in the hopes that either someone has an idea on how to help or that someone remembers the thread that Uschiekid was trying to remember.
Advert
Old 03-25-2013, 02:20 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The times I have seen something like that, there is an error in the book. If there are no copyright issues, attach it here or put it somewhere and send me a PM and I'll have a look at it. Or if you want to email it, send me a PM for the address.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
Alex09
Alex09 knows the square root of minus one.Alex09 knows the square root of minus one.Alex09 knows the square root of minus one.Alex09 knows the square root of minus one.Alex09 knows the square root of minus one.Alex09 knows the square root of minus one.Alex09 knows the square root of minus one.Alex09 knows the square root of minus one.Alex09 knows the square root of minus one.Alex09 knows the square root of minus one.Alex09 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Glo
I registered to ask about the exact same issue.

I've tried converting back and forth to epub, various powering down scenarios after deleting and a bunch of other things. When I load it onto my Glo from Calibre, it appears on the home page as a new book. As soon as I open it, it goes to the last page (which shows the book cover), kicks me out of the book and marks it as read.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #8
Alex09
Alex09 knows the square root of minus one.Alex09 knows the square root of minus one.Alex09 knows the square root of minus one.Alex09 knows the square root of minus one.Alex09 knows the square root of minus one.Alex09 knows the square root of minus one.Alex09 knows the square root of minus one.Alex09 knows the square root of minus one.Alex09 knows the square root of minus one.Alex09 knows the square root of minus one.Alex09 knows the square root of minus one.

OK well after an hour of trying various things, I made it work. Before, I couldn't even bring up the bottom bar to select a page or go back pages by flipping, but this (or some combination of these steps) made it work:

1. Deleted it from my device and Calibre, and even removed it from my Calibre library directory in Windows Explorer
2. Copied it back to the Calibre library directory, re-added to Calibre, then loaded to Glo
3. Before opening it on the Glo, I opened a different book, then went back to Home
4. Opened problematic book
5. It once again went straight to the last page
6. This time I could go back pages by flipping, so I flipped back a few pages
7. Brought up the bottom bar, told it to go to Page 1
8. Bookmarked page 1

Now it's all good.

Last edited by Alex09; 03-26-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@Alex09: That sounds like there is an error in the OPF file so that the book is opened to the wrong page. Any chance of seeing it to look at what is happening?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #10
Alex09

I had a look and nothing looked strange, but I'm not an expert. If you are still interested PM me your address and I'll send the OPF.

I bought this book so having to make it work was annoying. I shouldn't have side-loaded it I guess.

Last edited by Alex09; 03-27-2013 at 11:40 AM.