Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-20-2007, 07:36 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panurge View Post
I forgot to add that I get a message telling me that Library cannot connect to the store. One possibility: Sony Connect is still listed among the exclusions in my network firewall; but when I turn the firewall off altogether, I still can't get access.
You need to go into your firewall and remove Sonny Connect from the exclusion list. It's possible that when you turn off the firewall it's not all the way off.

To go into safe mode, you have to hit F8 before Windows starts to boot. So keep pressing F8 while booting the computer and you'll get a and one option is Safe Mode with Network Support.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 07:42 PM   #47
Panurge
Enthusiast
Panurge has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Panurge has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Panurge has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Panurge has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
I beg your pardon; I realized after I logged off that you meant for me to go into Safe Mode and keep network support active.
I'll try removing Sony Connect altogether from the exclusion list.Thanks.
Panurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2007, 07:46 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yes, that way in Safe Mode if Ebook Library (or Connect) will run then you should be able to connect to Connect as the firewall won't be running at all.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:07 PM   #49
Panurge
Enthusiast
Panurge has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Panurge has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Panurge has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Panurge has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Unfortunately, nothing helps so far. Removing Sony Connect from the list and adding eBook Library did not fix it. I'll have to try getting in on one of my other computers (I have four PCs and two Macs) to see if I can get to the bottom of this. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:16 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I hope you can get in via another computer.
Advert
Old 10-21-2007, 07:55 PM   #51
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panurge View Post
Unfortunately, nothing helps so far. Removing Sony Connect from the list and adding eBook Library did not fix it. I'll have to try getting in on one of my other computers (I have four PCs and two Macs) to see if I can get to the bottom of this. Thanks for the suggestions.
How complex is your firewall? If you only allow specific ports, then that could cause it to fail if the Sony Connect store has changed to non-standard ports. I would assume they use 80(http) and 443(https), but I can't say that with 100% certainty.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:44 AM   #52
Panurge
Enthusiast

I updated the Library software on a six-year-old laptop and it connects just fine there, so the problem must be with my desktop computer. It's due for an OS reinstall anyway, so I'll just back up everything else and start fresh. Obviously something got corrupted down the line. As a last resort, I may try a Registry cleanup before redoing Windows.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:11 AM   #53
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Just as a thing to note, Panurge, you'll probably end up having to call Sony to get the "old" computer un-registered from your account. If I recall correctly, the ConnStore doesn't recognize a computer as being the "same one" after it's drive has been reformatted.

No big deal, though -- they're usually good about removing them for you upon request.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:08 PM   #54
Panurge
Enthusiast

[Just as a thing to note, Panurge, you'll probably end up having to call Sony to get the "old" computer un-registered from your account. If I recall correctly, the ConnStore doesn't recognize a computer as being the "same one" after it's drive has been reformatted.]

Thanks for the heads up. As it turns out, the connection suddenly started working on the original machine, so it must have been at their end rather than mine, since I did nothing to fix the problem. Now I can get RSS feeds again.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:14 PM   #55
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Cool! It's always better when things resolve themselves without a lot of hassling.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:07 AM   #56
vinniet
Connoisseur
vinniet has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-500
Just noticed a problem with this version of the connect software. I did my first install of the connect software from the CD and it got upgraded about a month ago. I put a version of the connect software on my laptop running Vista with this version in the thread. I connected without a problem and transfered from the reader to laptop. I then disconnected.

Later I find my bookmarks and current location in all of my books are lost.

Has anyone seens this? I am going to have to downgrade my laptop or upgrade my desktop to the version in this thread. Any thoughts?
vinniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:33 PM   #57
Boojieboy
Boojieboy began at the beginning.

Device: Sonty PRS-500
What added features will this provide?
Boojieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:37 PM   #58
vinniet
Connoisseur
vinniet has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojieboy View Post
What added features will this provide?
From what I can tell, nothing. I installed this version because it was easy to find.
vinniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:34 AM   #59
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Small update... (includes Borders-branded Library desktop software which has a newer version string than the official software).

Sony Reader PRS-500 Firmware Updates:
http://download.sony.com/prs/prs-500...0.02.01300.exe
http://download.sony.com/prs/prs-500...0.03.07170.exe

Sony eBook Library / Connect PC Software:
http://download.sony.com/prs/connect...0Installer.exe

http://download.sony.com/prs/ebookli...0Installer.exe <-- current official version
(official link: http://ebookstore.sony.com/downloadclient.html)

http://download.sony.com/prs/ebookli...0Installer.exe <-- current version for Readers from Borders
(official link: http://ebookstore.sony.com/borders)

The last download link is the rebranded Sony eBook Library for Borders customers. I suppose if you use it, Sony will think that you bought your Reader from Borders, and Borders, I am guessing here, will earn a percentage for each book you buy via the Library.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote