Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-22-2010, 02:31 AM   #1
Charlebhoy
Charlebhoy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Calibre Resource Hogging

Hi,

I'm using Calibre with Ubuntu 10.10. I have noticed that when Calibre is converting to mobi, it uses 100% of both cpu's in my laptop. It has the laptop fan working furiously.

Is this normal?

Last edited by Charlebhoy; 12-22-2010 at 02:34 AM.
Charlebhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:22 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I think it is. You can customize how many cores (or, to be more specific, worker processes) Calibre uses in the preferences (see the miscellaneous part).
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2010, 04:12 AM   #3
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
I have a similar problem, in that when I try to save a second or third lot of 100 books to disc (to external drive via USB) in succession, the process freezes, and the computer temperature runs up to more than 100.

I note your reply, but I don't understand what figure I should use when re-setting the specified preference.

What does it all mean, comrade?
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:31 AM   #4
Charlebhoy

Thanks for the advice, but I also ask which value should I enter for this? It is currently set to 6.

TIA
Old 12-22-2010, 04:49 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOZAWUN View Post
I have a similar problem, in that when I try to save a second or third lot of 100 books to disc (to external drive via USB) in succession, the process freezes, and the computer temperature runs up to more than 100.
100 what? Kelvin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlebhoy View Post
Thanks for the advice, but I also ask which value should I enter for this? It is currently set to 6.
Depends on what you want. If you want only one core to work, I believe setting the number to 1 would do that.
Advert
Old 12-22-2010, 04:53 AM   #6
Charlebhoy

Hi,

The lowest setting I can choose is 2, and doing this seems to have the program sharing the load between the 2 cores a bit more equal, wheras before both cpu`s were working at 100%.

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-22-2010, 05:06 AM   #7
Manichean
Wizard

It should, for the record, be mentioned that high CPU utilization during conversions is not unusual in itself.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:31 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I'm using Calibre with Ubuntu 10.10. I have noticed that when Calibre is converting to mobi, it uses 100% of both cpu's in my laptop. It has the laptop fan working furiously.
You might want to go to Preferences - Behavior - and change job priority from Normal to Low. This setting has helped me on my Core 2 Duo Windows XP machine.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:40 AM   #9
Charlebhoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
You might want to go to Preferences - Behavior - and change job priority from Normal to Low. This setting has helped me on my Core 2 Duo Windows XP machine.
I don't have job priority option in the behavior preferences?

I'm using latest version.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:44 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I don't have job priority option in the behavior preferences?

I'm using latest version.
It may just a Windows build feature.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:50 AM   #11
Manichean
Wizard

I'm seeing it as well, but on a windows machine... it may be that the Linux version uses some other terminology and/or mechanism to control priority. Try looking around a bit in the preferences or wait for one of the Linux users to show up here.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
job priority is a windows only feature.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:28 PM   #13
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Job priority is not in the Linux version.

Conversion is a cpu intensive task. As such it will use as much as there is free to complete the task. Memory too. This is by design.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:54 PM   #14
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
You can use your OS to alter the priority of the processing that are running... (renice from command line or some GUI utility). Of course I am aware it would be much more convenient if Calibre spawned the processes with the priority you want directly - perhaps with some help of the Calibre developers it would not be that difficult to modify the code so that Calibre spawns processes with lower priority if that is important for you... or perhaps just as a quick hack you could write a tiny script that checks the processes say every 10 seconds and renices the Calibre ones...

EDIT: in any case, I would first try running a few long, CPU intensive conversions using renice (or something similar) and see whether it actually solves your problem - if so, then you should be able to apply some solution (either one of the above mentioned or something else)

Last edited by janvanmaar; 12-22-2010 at 06:03 PM.
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:38 AM   #15
mdb5972
mdb5972 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS350
I have the same issue with high cpu... What I did was set the processer affinity to the 2nd cpu only in the 'task manager'. This reduces the load on the first cpu allowing me to continue working. As to temperature not sure if it will help much.
mdb5972 is offline   Reply With Quote