Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-29-2014, 06:59 AM   #61
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
After installing 3.8.0 i noticed some strange behaviour on my Glo.
* displaying the wrong book cover in sleep mode
* putting a different book in the number one slot on the home page (the position of the book you are currently reading)
* when opening a book a blank page was displayed. Some "touching" brought me back to the home screen.

After a power cycle the above problems were solved.

Hopefully the battery drain has improved om my Glo, with fw 3.5.0 I could only read for 13-14 hours (tested 3 times). With older fw versions this was much longer. I'm not sure how much longer, but I didn't have to recharge the device roughly every week (every 5-7 days). My reading habits haven't changed neither have my device settings, use of light, etc.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:54 AM   #62
Bonex
Connoisseur
Bonex began at the beginning.

Device: KDXG, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
As well as the synopsis font size fix, italics tags work in the synopsis text again.

I don't know if this was the case with older firmwares, but, editing the synopsis in Calibre, I discovered that you can use tags like <small> or<p style="font-size: whatever;"> and they work!
Bonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:17 AM   #63
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonex View Post
I don't know if this was the case with older firmwares, but, editing the synopsis in Calibre, I discovered that you can use tags like <small> or<p style="font-size: whatever;"> and they work!
Yep, "style=" worked, but predefined <i> and <b> or <em> and <strong> tags didn't. Do they now?
With previous firmwares 2.x.x these tags normally worked but at some point they stopped working.

Great, I noticed that under "book details", the publisher info has been removed.
This info was always there but never showed the name of the publisher.
Does this mean Kobo couldn't fix this and removed the publisher enty completely?
Old 08-29-2014, 08:20 AM   #64
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_1964 View Post
It does work fine at my Aura HD but it seems not to work at my Glo or I just can't do it right,maybe to slow cause I mark a lot of txt
You can't hesitate at all when you first put your finger down or it will put you into text select mode. But you also want to be deliberate with your slide speed (not super fast) or it won't pick it up properly.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:39 AM   #65
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Great, I noticed that under "book details", the publisher info has been removed.
This info was always there but never showed the name of the publisher.
Does this mean Kobo couldn't fix this and removed the publisher enty completely?
I'm not sure if the firmware ever read the publisher from sideloaded books. If it ever did, it stopped a long time ago. Downloaded kepubs do have the publishing details. If you had them before for sideloaded books, you probably used my Kobo Utilities plugin to set the extra metadata.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:29 AM   #66
Anak
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I'm not sure if the firmware ever read the publisher from sideloaded books. If it ever did, it stopped a long time ago. Downloaded kepubs do have the publishing details. If you had them before for sideloaded books, you probably used my Kobo Utilities plugin to set the extra metadata.
On sideloaded epubs it looked like this:
Code:
Publisher:
The actual data (publisher name) never was there. Which is strange as this is build-in in stock Adobe Reader Mobile software. Just as the ISBN number, which Kobo also has removed from the book details.

My previous bug report:
Book details: metadata publisher and ISBN not displayed

Note: I don't use any plugin to sideload epubs. I simply drag and drop the book. If the publisher name or any other metadata tag is displayed when using a plugin, well then there is still a bug in this firmware release.

This ancient reader (Qisda ES600, 2010) simply displays all enclosed metadata (all dc tags), it ignores unofficial metadata such as Calibre metadata tags.
This device was released under various brandnames but contained the same stock firmware. The main difference is the branding, these images are hardcoded into the firmware. Improvements to the firmware were rolled out to all vendors who sold these devices.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	127441   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	127442  

Last edited by Anak; 08-29-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:11 AM   #67
kwiatek
kwiatek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Dxg, Kobo Mini
Strange. Publisher works for me without any problem. I use Kobo Utilities for uploading books.
kwiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:33 AM   #68
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I noticed changes in the dictionary calls with 3.8 last night. I'd already noticed a bug with Spanish a few versions back (I reported it in the bug thread) but this is different: Kobo apparently decided to go to a translation dictionary instead of single language for the first pop-up when appropriate, considering the translation dictionaries always turn around English. I know many people prefer it, but with how poor the kobo dual language dictionaries are (possibly apart from the English-French one), I'm afraid it won't be much use to them - Sony dictionaries were much better.

At present, with my language defined as the usual French
  • Spanish defined books call the French dictionary, unless I switch the parameters language to Spanish - the same books that called the Spanish dictionary a few releases ago
  • English defined books call the English-French dictionary in the first pop-up, the single language English in the full page called from the pop-up
  • French, Italian and German books call the single language appropriate dictionary in both pop-up and full page
If I define my language as English
  • Spanish and English defined books call the English dictionary
  • French, German and Italian defined books call the French-English/German-English/Italian-English dictionaries respectively in the first pop-up, the single language appropriate ones in the full page called from the pop-up

I understand that most of this corresponds to majority wishes, though I would like an option to choose single language as a first choice - not to speak of decent translation dictionaries - but I DON'T understand why, while implementing all this, kobo didn't solve the reported Spanish bug.
I cannot replicate the issue at least in sideloaded Kepubs.

I'm Spanish but I also read in English so I've got lots of English and Spanish books. My dictionary always match the expected setting (with the new "feature" of enabling translation instead of natural language).

I mean:
  • English book - whichever language in interface: Translation English-whatever.
  • EN-EN or ES-ES: EN or ES dictionary.
  • ES-EN: Translation ES-EN
  • ES - Whichever: ES dictionary (not ES-EN).

Are you sure your books are really "coded" in the language they are written? Check the metadata in the opf/html of your epubs.
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:40 AM   #69
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
After installing 3.8.0 i noticed some strange behaviour on my Glo.
* displaying the wrong book cover in sleep mode
* putting a different book in the number one slot on the home page (the position of the book you are currently reading)
The only time I experienced this was when my Glo had lost track of the Date & Time. Correcting it in Settings fixed everything.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:43 AM   #70
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
On sideloaded epubs it looked like this:
Code:
Publisher:
The actual data (publisher name) never was there. Which is strange as this is build-in in stock Adobe Reader Mobile software. Just as the ISBN number, which Kobo also has removed from the book details.

My previous bug report:
Book details: metadata publisher and ISBN not displayed

Note: I don't use any plugin to sideload epubs. I simply drag and drop the book. If the publisher name or any other metadata tag is displayed when using a plugin, well then there is still a bug in this firmware release.

This ancient reader (Qisda ES600, 2010) simply displays all enclosed metadata (all dc tags), it ignores unofficial metadata such as Calibre metadata tags.
This device was released under various brandnames but contained the same stock firmware. The main difference is the branding, these images are hardcoded into the firmware. Improvements to the firmware were rolled out to all vendors who sold these devices.
As I said, that metadata hasn't been read for a long time, if it ever was. I have a note that it wasn't read in December 2012. Up to that time, the published date was being read, but my note doesn't say if the publisher or ISBN had been read in earlier firmware.

This probably has nothing to do with the RMSDK. For sideloaded books, the metadata is extracted from the books and loaded into the internal database when the device first processes them. The displayed metadata comes from the database. It's possible the epubs are being read using the RMSDK, but, as they are processing other books at the time, I suspect not.

Is this a bug? Probably not. It is much more likely that it is a deliberate decision made by Kobo to not read this information when sideloading books. If that is the case, it is not a bug. It is, to me at least, function that should be there, but it is not an actual bug.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:24 AM   #71
Anak
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Is this a bug? Probably not. It is much more likely that it is a deliberate decision made by Kobo to not read this information when sideloading books. If that is the case, it is not a bug. It is, to me at least, function that should be there, but it is not an actual bug.
True, if it was a deliberate decision made by Kobo then it is not a bug.
The only problem I have with this type of explanation (in general) is that if something is not implemented it is automatically considered as "deliberate" or intentional.
It wouldn't surprise me if Kobo never thought about this or maybe only briefly ("Lets do that later..."), which I can and do understand as there are more important firmware related issues that need to be addressed first.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:43 PM   #72
AbPho
Connoisseur
AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.

Device: AuraHD, GloHD
Will calibre support Kobo v3.8.0 for OSX 10.6? I have to run Calibre v1.48 versus the current v2.1.0 that only works for OSX 10.7 and up.
AbPho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:14 PM   #73
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbPho View Post
Will calibre support Kobo v3.8.0 for OSX 10.6? I have to run Calibre v1.48 versus the current v2.1.0 that only works for OSX 10.7 and up.
The only change to support FW3.8.0 was to bump the supported version number. In the driver configuration, select the "Attempt to support newer firmware versions" and everything will be OK.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:26 PM   #74
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
I've updated the first post of the Direct Links thread with 3.7.0 and 3.8.0.

I'm calling the 3.7.0 release: The Catch Me If You Can release.

The 3.8.0 release is The Charge of the Light Brigade release.

There is a new release of the PC Desktop for 3.8.0.

I've moved the release from Jan 2014 to mid-May to the second post of the Direct Links thread.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:28 PM   #75
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
It seems that I'm frequently getting database corruptions on my Glo with 3.8. But using the compress database option in Kobo Utilities seems to always fix the problem...
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote