Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-24-2011, 12:38 AM   #46
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by peartree View Post
I have the opposite problem of many of you - I have a book that is left justified which I want to make full justified. I don't see the system folder, though. What am I missing?
If using Windows' Explorer, you need to change how files and folders show up. Normally, certain files/folders are hidden - system files/folder and just some hidden ones. Depending on your version of Windows showing them requires different steps or options.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:51 PM   #47
peartree
Enthusiast
peartree began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
I'm using Windows 7. I went to folder options > show hidden files and folders, but the system file still isn't showing up for me.
peartree is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2011, 10:41 PM   #48
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
I'm using Windows 7. I went to folder options > show hidden files and folders, but the system file still isn't showing up for me.
You also need to show SYSTEM files/folders. I believe it is another option in the same place you set the hidden stuff.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:47 PM   #49
peartree
Enthusiast
peartree began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Ok, finally figured it out. I got the justification setting to show up easily enough, so thanks for the help. Unfortunately, the left justification must be hard-coded into the file, since the justification setting doesn't actually change anything. Oh well, hopefully I can make use of this in the future.
peartree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #50
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Ok, finally figured it out. I got the justification setting to show up easily enough, so thanks for the help. Unfortunately, the left justification must be hard-coded into the file, since the justification setting doesn't actually change anything. Oh well, hopefully I can make use of this in the future.
Yes, as far as I know, if the justification is hard-coded into the file, changing the Kindle menu option has no effect.

As an example, I am a tech drone who re-formats ebooks to various formats, including .mobi for Kindle. I usually start with a specially modified .epub and convert it using kindlegen. (If you don't follow that, nevermind. read on.)

So, if I specify in the style.css file of the epub that text justification should be "left", then the .mobi file displayed on the Kindle (after conversion) will be left-justified no matter the setting on the Kindle device itself.

OTOH, if I remove the "text-justify: left;" references in the stylesheet, presumably the Kindle will be free to justify however it is set. (i.e. left or full justify. Can't do others.)

So why don't I remove the "text-justify" settings? Because my boss, the publisher, says that the book should appear, so far as possible, as the company book designer wanted it to look. Otherwise, why pay the book designer the big bucks (LOL)?

If you strongly disagree with this sentiment, please post your well-reasoned comments. I'll share them with the boss. (At the moment, most of our e-book sales are into the Kindle market, so I could theoretically optimize the display of mobipocket files for Kindle.)
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #51
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Well, I installed my custom font and read my kindle at a couple of size larger than the majority of people do, so I've already pretty much screwed the original designer. Of course mobipocket being a pretty old format and the kindle screen a puny 6" the ebook formatting is already pretty far from the original pbook design.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:04 PM   #52
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Good points, Barty.

I personally prefer ragged-right (text-align: left; ) on the Kindle. Full justification looks good, most of the time, but when there are short lines it's trying to stretch out, it can be hard to read. Therefore our "house style" had been to enforce left-justification.

That said, the world seems to be divided about equally between those who prefer full and those who prefer left. I see no harm in allowing a choice, and I will do so in the future where possible. As you say, one can already vary the font size, and beyond that an e-book, being flowable, ought never attempt to precisely mimic a p-book. If you want that, use PDF format (ugh!)

Of course, things like "text-align: center;" have to remain.

And in a weak attempt to move back on topic, I will confirm peartree's observation that the "text-align: " property, where present, overrides the Kindle's justification setting.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:47 PM   #53
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
I have the opposite problem of many of you - I have a book that is left justified which I want to make full justified. I don't see the system folder, though. What am I missing?
Do you by any chance have a Kindle 1? It was the only one that defaulted to Left justification or gave us a choice.

Maybe it's a dreaded Topaz file (does Aa-key bring up grayed-out options? Or, is the file extention .azw1 ?) which forces the publisher's choice of formatting on the e-book w/ few user-options possible...

- Andrys
http://kindleworld.blogspot.com
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #54
rolgiati
Groupie
rolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Several Kindle 3 KB's
Grovelling apologies, I posted by mistake before brain was properly in gear.

R.Olgiati

Last edited by rolgiati; 05-11-2011 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Posted by mistake
rolgiati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:40 PM   #55
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Thanks to the OP. This works great on my K3.

Code:
I     dislike           sentences         like      this.
IT        IS                         NOT            COOL!
The first book I tested responded to the new justification option. Very nice. I can't imagine why this option is hidden.

Last edited by ectoplasm; 11-23-2011 at 09:35 AM.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:22 PM   #56
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Ectoplasm wrote, "I can't imagine why this option is hidden."

It's hidden because not all books respond to it on the Kindle (almost all do respond to the similar option on the Kobo, so it's not an intractable problem -- it's one Amazon could easily solve, and I wish they would). But by hiding it, they eliminate tons of support calls/requests complaining that it doesn't work. I totally agree with you, ectoplasm, that this should be available by default -- and work with every book.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:30 AM   #57
Gearhead
Enthusiast
Gearhead began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, PRS505
I wonder if Amazon has addressed this issue in the new Kindle 4's or the Kindle Fire. I've read several reviews but no one seems to mention text formatting options on the newer Kindles.

Can someone with a newer Kindle tell me if Amazon is allowing the user to pick the text justification or if this hack still works the latest generation machines? Thanks!
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:22 AM   #58
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Gearhead, no - it's in that awful (to me) right justification usually, and I can't change it (w/o seeing if there is still an available systems text preferences file that will allow changes).
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:33 AM   #59
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Got my Kindle Fire yesterday. Did some reading last night. No way that I can see to change this lame behavior.

Code:
I     dislike           sentences         like      this.
IT        IS                         NOT            COOL!
I think I'll reformat the book in Calibre.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #60
LibbyLA
LibbyLA has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LibbyLA has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LibbyLA has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
The alignment/justification "fix" works on the $79 Kindle with Special Offers. Of course, the first book I looked at after I made the fix is hard-coded for full justification, but another I checked is now blessedly left aligned/ragged right.
LibbyLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hacks