Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 05-24-2006, 07:55 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Amazon launches Amazon Online Reader

Amazon hopes to take a big bite out of e-book market with its latest feature, the Amazon Online Reader. When you buy a physical book from Amazon that's part of their new Amazon Upgrade program, for an additional charge you can get an online version of the book. Amazon Online Reader allows you to print pages, to search content, and to create highlights, bookmarks, notes and tags. You can not, however, download the book and read it in any other reader.

Example: CliffNotes Chemistry.

The very Ajaxy-feeling reader currently supports IE 6.0+, Firefox 1.5+ and Safari 2.0. Only US customers can take advantage of the Upgrade program right now.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:01 AM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
You can not, however, download the book and read it in any other reader.
What where they smokin'?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2006, 05:53 PM   #3
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
You can not, however, download the book and read it in any other reader.
So it's worthless... I expected something better from Amazon.com.

A similar offering from O'Reilly lets you, for the extra price, get a PDF of the book. So it looks like Amazon isn't keeping up with the market.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 03:37 AM   #4
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
I don't see how this competes with e-books. Essentially, all it does is display scanned pages, similar to their "Look inside" thing. Amazon is a seller, not a publisher. It might be useful if you need to look something up and don't have the book at hand.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 07:01 AM   #5
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Hi,

Being a big book buyer of books from Amazon, I checked and found that from the hundreds of books I have bought from them only 5 were available for the upgrade and the prices seem to be proportional to the value of the book. I had a 100$ book (now listing for 137$ true, but I checked and I paid 99.98$ on it) that had upgrade for ~27$, a 60$ book upgrade ~14, 2 30-40's $ books upgrade for ~8-9$, and a standard child care book with many editions (current edition price ~10$ with the discount) that has upgrade for 1.48$
Since you can print pages you should be able to print to a ps file so get the actual images anyway on your computer (always there is snagging for anything displayed on your pc screen, but that is time consuming so better to scan), but I have not checked since the upgrade prices for the 2 books that I would like to have digital are a bit too high.
Depending on price/availabilty, it is a very useful feature, but right now the availability seems to be limited.

Liviu
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2006, 10:40 PM   #6
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
What where they smokin'?
Smokin the ole Bezo Bong, I suspect. The market for this has gotta be somewhere between few and no one.

If you wanna sell ebooks, find out what makes regular books sell and then do it better. Until then, stop wasting everyone's time.....
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote