Notices

Old 03-02-2009, 10:21 PM   #1
voidIndigo
Enthusiast
voidIndigo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, REB 1200, Kobo Glo
Talking Hello from Brazil!

Hello, folks!

First of all, please excuse the errors you'll most certainly find. I do read a lot of english, but I don't get many chances to write in it. Until now!

Well, I´m from Brazil. I was born DEEP inside the rain forest, but now live in a a not so known capital (São Luís) in a pretty backwater (I think it is the right word) state (Maranhão). Here, we pride ourselves to be the brazilian Athens, to have the most educated and intellectual people, and sometimes you are indeed surprised by some of the topics people discuss in public (the correct conjugation of a verb, who was the first moralist philosopher, why on earth Godel created its theorem), but most of the time, well, we aren't.

I read ebooks since I put my eager little fingers in a keyboard, back in 1983, with a MSX Expert, my first computer (hey, it had the word "computer" written in the front!). I hacked a game of RPG in BASIC (Dungeons and Dragons, if I'm not mistaken, or a similar), took out all the game part, and recoded the text to scroll in the TV set. 18 hours of work, since I did not have a disk drive, for a 15 minute reading. Boy, I had WAY too much free time... Things went downhill ever since...

I only knew about ebook readers since about 2000. I read about Gemstar, RCA, and almost kicked my job's main server when learned that they would close BEFORE I had a chance to get my hands on one. Really, what were they THINKING??

In December, 2007, I became the incredibly happy owner of a PRS505. I cannot describe the joy that it brought to my life, besides saying that my family used brute force to take it from my not yet cold hand!! The animals!

I already had a big library waiting for something just like it, and I spent countless hours formating, downloading and reading and downloading some more and automating the formating and reading and reading and reading. I read 18 books in the first month: the complete Dune series. My favorite. I must confess, though, that I didn't know of this site yet. (Of course, jackass, or I would have written this introduction a long time ago!!) I recall one time that I saw a link to a Forum about people reading in mobile devices, but confused it with cell phones. Go figure! My mistake!

Unhappily, last January, my poor Pierre was stolen! (PRS - Pierre, got it? well, I found it funny!) Stolen in my workplace!! And it is a tribunal!!! Unfortunately, my boss didn't allow me to use the necessary means to find the thief. You know, violence, torture, the works. May their eyes (boss and thief's) rot and fall!! If you own a reader, you really don't want to experience this. Keep your readers safe. Put a password in it. Buy a chain. A trip-mine. And a snake.

Some time before this savage robbery, I saw a couple of REB1200 in eBay. After that, well, I just had to had one of them. It wouldn't be easy for me (the import tax alone is 60% of the price), so I got a friend to share the expenses.

We got them, and they are BEAUTIFUL!! Eventually, I think I'll have to give my friend his, but let me tell one thing: FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS!!!

I'm still struggling to get content into it, and my search for tools and info (and ebooks, of course) finally led me here. What a wonderful place! I posted a theory and asked for help even before I introduced myself! And got an answer in the very same day! I think I found my people!

My best regards to you all, already

void Indigo
voidIndigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:39 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hello voidIndigo 60% import tax? yikes
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2009, 08:28 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Welcome to MobileRead, voidIndigo.

I'm glad you're enjoying your Sony 505. Please let us know if we can offer any assistance in helping you, or if you have any questions.

Also, we have a HUGE selection of free Sony titles available here. These are hand-assembled with loving care. You'll find these in the Sony upload section.

Again, please let us know if you have questions.

Don
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:36 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, voidIndigo.

There are lots of free books here to download, and if you are looking for books in Spanish (forgive if thats not your native language) try

www.feedbooks.com
www.manybooks.net

Both have books in different languages. We have them here in English, French and German.

Enjoy the site.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:11 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Indigo and welcome to the Forum
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2009, 04:33 PM   #6
voidIndigo
Enthusiast
voidIndigo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, REB 1200, Kobo Glo
Thanks

Well, Don, thanks for your welcome, but I don't think I'll be seeing any Sony books anytime soon. It still hurts too much.

To everybody (you, too, Don!), my most sincere thanks. I'm glad to be welcomed in this comunity. (I use emoticons a lot, don't I?)

Best Regards,

void Indigo
voidIndigo is offline   Reply With Quote