Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you prefer iOS 7 over the "classic" iOS look?
Yes, iOS 7 looks better 27 19.57%
No, I preferred the previous iOS look & feel 69 50.00%
I'm fine with both; it's natural/acceptable evolution 42 30.43%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-21-2013, 02:40 AM   #1
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Question Do You Prefer iOS 7 Look & Feel Over Previous iOS Versions?

I think this poll was long overdue here, given the iOS 7 upgrade thread... It appears that many MobileRead users love the new iOS 7 looks, and many are appalled by it. What about you? It will be interesting to compare the percentage ratio.

Last edited by Faterson; 09-21-2013 at 03:53 AM.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:21 AM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I'm not able to answer in English. The word which comes to my mind is "pasteloso" so no, I don't like it at all.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2013, 03:51 AM   #3
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
The word which comes to my mind is "pasteloso"
Oh, I'm a big fan of cheese (can't imagine my breakfast without it)! Just not on my handheld devices...
Old 09-21-2013, 04:19 AM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
"Cheesy", that is, thank you very much
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

I didn't vote because the options are too limited. This seems to be a poll solely for judging the looks of iOS 7, rather than iOS 7 in totality, that is, its overall appeal. I like the looks of iOS 6 better, but I prefer iOS 7 overall. I'm willing to overlook the aesthetics for the functionality. That old saying "don't judge a book by its cover" comes to mind.
Advert
Old 09-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Unhappy

Yes; I purposefully worded the poll so that it refers primarily to the looks rather than functionality. After all, it is natural for functionality to evolve. To me, iOS 7 is just plain ugly. A colleague of mine, a long-time Apple user with whom I discussed this earlier today, pointed out that iOS 7 esthetics are apparently simply copying Windows Phone esthetics. This connection never occurred to me before today, but I've always hated the looks of Windows Phone (despite critical praise heaped on it), even more the looks of Windows 8 in any and all iterations... which may explain why I now find iOS 7 so ugly, too. Besides the ugly flat icons and the absurd zero-design of the Notes app, I would nominate the new Messages app (where you read your SMS) as the ugliest iOS 7 app. It positively revolts me whenever I open that app in iOS 7. The slowed-down (apparently intentionally slowed-down) animations are painful to watch on both iPhone and iPad.

Perhaps I'll get used to all this as time goes by, but for now, I definitely find Android 4.3 more elegant, more fluid, and smoother compared to iOS 7. I really wonder what Steve Jobs would say about that, and if iOS 7 could have been released under his guidance.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I agree. Extra functionality is great and expected evolution. But, this new look is just plain ugly to me. I don't like all the white space and the thin lines and icons. I don't like the color themes either. They seem too jarring and don't blend well.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #8
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
I like the new look a lot, but it took me a couple of days to adjust to it. I think the wallpaper you choose makes a big difference, too: the darker wallpaper that I would have used on ios6 doesn't look as good on ios 7, while lighter wallpaper I wouldn't have chosen turns out to look great on ios 7. (I particularly like the blue/green diamond pattern in the static wallpaper section that is in the third row from the bottom, far right).

On my iPad, I've kept the darker "cobblestone" wallpaper from before. I think it looks fine there, but there is more space between icons on ios7 on the ipad.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #9
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
I like the new look a lot, but it took me a couple of days to adjust to it. I think the wallpaper you choose makes a big difference, too: the darker wallpaper that I would have used on ios6 doesn't look as good on ios 7, while lighter wallpaper I wouldn't have chosen turns out to look great on ios 7. (I particularly like the blue/green diamond pattern in the static wallpaper section that is in the third row from the bottom, far right).

On my iPad, I've kept the darker "cobblestone" wallpaper from before. I think it looks fine there, but there is more space between icons on ios7 on the ipad.
Yes, I have to agree that selecting the right wallpaper makes a huge difference. I really like how cheerful my phone looks now.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
It also helps to change the font boldness and contrast in the Accessibility settings as well. On my home screen you could barely see the words for the slider bar until I changed these settings. That way I could keep my picture which I love and not have to change it (similar to Faterson's complaint about his new mustard dock in another thread!). By the way, because of that comment I could not help but think of mustard when I opened up the redesigned Notes app and noticed its theme is yellow.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #11
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I'm happy with it, other than the nausea I'm getting with the zooming that won't go away when you tick the button to reduce motion.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #12
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Red face

Yeah... iOS 7 is all about cheese & mustard, isn't it?

The trouble is, none of those piecemeal improvements (changing the wallpaper, making fonts slightly bolder, etc.) are going to remove the underlying overall aesthetics. Also, whoever heard of the user adjusting the wallpaper to the OS, instead of the OS adjusting itself to the wallpaper? Isn't that "back asswards"?

There appears to be no way of getting rid of those painfully slow animations, is there? And, what about the use of the hair's-breadth Helvetica (faux Helvetica, I hear) fonts throughout the interface, also in pop-up dialogs... No settings tweak is going to change the font of the date digit inside the Calendar icon to be of a more distinctive font, is it? (By the way: not allowing users to set default apps for mail, web browsing, calendar, etc., in 2013, is a letdown. I'm not even mentioning the ability to set our own custom icons or, heaven forbid, put widgets on our home screens.) Whenever I see that new Calendar icon, I feel like banging my head against the wall. Who could possibly think this new Calendar icon was an improvement over the previous Calendar icon? A rounded, all-white square featuring hair's-breadth Helvetica font showing the date in black, and the day in red, and that's it? Come on! A 6-year-old could design such an icon. Intentional minimalism, I get it -- but is it likely that all or even most iOS users around the world are fans of such extreme minimalism?

What about the vast expanses of white engulfing the user throughout the iOS 7 interface? I get it: folks at Apple are fond of whiteness (even more so than the previous greyness, or so it seems) combined with hair's-breadth thin Helvetica fonts. Fine, many people seem to be enjoying that esthetics -- but whereas I was proudly showing off my iDevices to others until now, I will now prefer to hide them from others, for fear they might think of me as a person of questionable taste.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #13
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I'm happy with it, other than the nausea I'm getting with the zooming that won't go away when you tick the button to reduce motion.
I am so relieved someone else mentioned this. I genuinely become seasick with all that zooming in & out. I'm trying to slow up using the apps or just look away briefly when they come up but ugh, what a terrible feature. I'm not a fan of all the soft-focus transparency stuff, either.

I love the floating parallax background, that's totally cool!
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I don't really notice a difference from setting Reduce Motion ON or OFF. Exactly what does it do?
Old 09-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #15
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

I thought that switch was only supposed to disable the "parallax" moving effect of icons on the home screens. (I may be wrong.)