Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Is OSX Lion buggy?

I noticed some comments other places that some people were having problems with Apple's OSX Lion. I've been waiting before I upgrade from Leopard. Any mac users here, comments re Lion?
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
No issues here, beyond the rather baffling Mission Control interface. I adjusted quite easily to the natural scrolling, and love the gestures in general. I even like the idea of Mission Control (seamless access to separate spaces for different apps/full screen apps)..but the implementation is just rather odd. Creating new spaces doesn't put them where you expect, you can't move the spaces around, etc.

But as far as stability goes, I've had no problems so far. What I've heard, though:

1) If you have an NAS-don't upgrade until your vendor upgrades-lots of incompatibilities.
2) If you are still using any old PPC software that ran thru the Rosetta emulator-don't upgrade until you get new software-it won't run. The most popular one mentioned is Quicken, but also older copies of Microsoft Office for Mac actually ran under Rosetta.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Don't worry, you won't have any problem with Lion... because you can't upgrade from Leopard!!! I've been waiting too, but at the moment you can only buy Lion on the App store. Not sure if this will change.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:15 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Don't worry, you won't have any problem with Lion... because you can't upgrade from Leopard!!! I've been waiting too, but at the moment you can only buy Lion on the App store. Not sure if this will change.
ahahah, good point.
3) If you have Leopard, don't bother worrying about upgrading until you have Snow Leopard, to get access to the App Store to buy Lion, or until Apple starts selling Lion on USB stick

Snow Leopard upgrade: $29
Lion Upgrade thru App Store: $30

Lion on USB: $69
Old 08-02-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
No problems so far though it is annoying having to put in the admin password to delete something...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2011, 02:16 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Wasn't aware of that limitation. Was looking forward to the upgrade. Guess I'll be staying with Leopard until I buy a new machine.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #7
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Wasn't aware of that limitation. Was looking forward to the upgrade. Guess I'll be staying with Leopard until I buy a new machine.
As of right now you need to use the AppStore to get Lion... there is going to be an option to buy it on an USB drive but it is going to cost $60 vice the $29 download.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:40 PM   #8
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
My thoughts exactly.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #9
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
I noticed some comments other places that some people were having problems with Apple's OSX Lion. I've been waiting before I upgrade from Leopard. Any mac users here, comments re Lion?

Hmmm, I don't understand or see the relationship with iPad or iPod. Lion is full feature Os for Mac, no?

Anyway, I just recently upgraded my Mac air and no issues so far. As a matter of fact, using the trackpad and moving across windows and apps is easier than ever.

Now, for my Mac Mini 2010 (recently purchased, because price reduction and size, etc) has not been upgraded. I know I can make use of the free voucher but I just don't see the advantage on a regular desktop.

@kjk
Are you aware of any issues with Parallels 6 after upgrade? Not saying there is one, but that's my main program/software on my Mac Mini.

** EDIT **

Like mentioned above, you need Snow Leopard at least I think ...

Last edited by jocampo; 08-02-2011 at 04:01 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:57 PM   #10
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
As of right now you need to use the AppStore to get Lion... there is going to be an option to buy it on an USB drive but it is going to cost $60 vice the $29 download.

Hate that!

They are trying to kill the optical drive and physical media. DVDs and CDs are not a dead technology, no yet. $60.00 for the USB drive is too expensive, in my opinion. Clearly, they are forcing users to download instead.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:58 PM   #11
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you all.

1. I'm in Snow Leopard 10.6.8 so Rosetta and upgrading are not issues for me. If I have any old migrated ppc apps lying around I don't care if they don't work, it'd be past time to buy new/improved v's anyway.

2. kjk, I don't have a NAS but that could be a future problem since I've been looking for a better one than the BuffaloTech quad that I bought then returned because it was so noisy and and had no way to upgrade its firmware except thru a PC (not a Mac). Maybe I'll just stick to using the external firewire drives for now and await better/cheaper/bigger thunderbolt drives to hit the market.

3. rcuadro, having to put in an admin password every time I delete is a real show-stopper. Every time? Even when my account has admin priviledges? Even when that account owns the file with rw permissions?

Last edited by unboggling; 08-02-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #12
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
@kjk
Are you aware of any issues with Parallels 6 after upgrade? Not saying there is one, but that's my main program/software on my Mac Mini.

I have read of a few odd errors, but Parallels claims 6 is Lion compatible overall. I would test it myself, but I finally killed off my Windows partition/Parallels setup a few months ago. Loved it though; really helped me transition off Windows for my home machine.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #13
unboggling
Wizard

jocampo, no relationship to iPad/iPhone except I own those also. This Apple area is the closest I could come to getting advice from people that have more credibility to me than relative strangers in other more topical forums. And if Lion had problems, syncing those might too.

Last edited by unboggling; 08-02-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #14
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
but at the moment you can only buy Lion on the App store
What if people have to reinstall or just use disk utilities or something because there's a problem in the OS?

EDIT. Oh, I guess I could keep a copy of the appstore downloaded installer on my other Mac

Last edited by unboggling; 08-02-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #15
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
jocampo, no relationship to iPad/iPhone except I own those also. This Apple area is the closest I could come to getting advice from people that have more credibility to me than relative strangers in other more topical forums.
+1

I like that answer!